X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Craft paint shortage?

Recently when I've gone to my local Hobby Lobby, the acrylic craft paint section is almost entirely picked clean. Is this unique to my store? Is there some sort of craft paint shortage? I'm thinking it may be covid-19 related... but can't quite puzzle out the connection.
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

It may just be more people staying home and having time to work on craft projects, so supplies sold and haven't been restocked yet. Ordering cycles are often based on past sales cycles, and a sudden upsurge in demand takes a little while to be adjusted to and items restocked.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I boycott Hobby Lobby, but I've noticed such shortages at Target and Michael's. It could be Covid-related manufacturing lags as well as increased demand.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 27, '20, 11:24 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

try ordering on Amazon

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
          Moderation Engineer
          • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          I boycott Hobby Lobby, but I've noticed such shortages at Target and Michael's. It could be Covid-related manufacturing lags as well as increased demand.
          Same here on all counts, also shortages at Joann and Walmart near me on a lot of supplies. Whole sections picked over.

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

I tried to avoid Hobby Lobby too... but then they drove the other nearby craft stores out of business.

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
            try ordering on Amazon
            I may have to do that and it probably would work fine, but paint colors are something I would normally want to see in person.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I haven't experienced that at all here, aisles full of acrylic at Michaels. Although my local dollarama had terrible choices.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• SeattleEd
                SynthoRes Transmigrator
                • Oct 24, 2007

Scott, same here and Amazon as well for hour household. I too have noticed shortages and the local mom and pop brick and mortar art supply businesses. Also, in Portland I went to a local True Value that is a mom and pop shop and a lot of their crafts paints are empty. Not only craft paints but regular paints as well. Same for a Ace Hardware we went too. I am hoping this changes over time. Haven't gone to the local TAPS Plastics to see if they are empty on molding materials.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
                  Career Member
                  • Jul 23, 2019

I live in Canada, and for the past several months every time I stop by any Wal-Mart or dollar store in my area (I have been to a few different communities within a three-hour drive of my location) and there are little to no acrylic paints to be found.
                  "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• ToyTalk
                    Career Member
                    • Mar 25, 2020

I get mine from the local gaming stores. Still a bit more expensive but it helps keep them in business
                    Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• Random Axe
                      The Voice of Reason
                      • Apr 16, 2008

C'mon, I saw you in Hobby Lobby with a chick fil a bag and a Goya bean logo tshirt.

In all seriousness, inventory was bought up and not replaced during the shutdown. Michael's is horrible too. I buy paint online mostly because of this.
                      I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Random Axe
                        C'mon, I saw you in Hobby Lobby with a chick fil a bag and a Goya bean logo tshirt.
                        Busted lol.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Random Axe

In all seriousness, inventory was bought up and not replaced during the shutdown. Michael's is horrible too. I buy paint online mostly because of this.
                          red hat too right? Joann here has plenty last time I went. Actually found some nice stuff at Dollar Tree 4 ounce bottles of the basic colors
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                            Joann here has plenty last time I went.
                            Thanks for the suggestion. I never even thought of Joann's, but sure enough... I checked there today and they were well stocked. I even saw this flexible Plaid FX paint for craft foam / cosplay that looked really promising for things like boots... anyone ever try it?

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by sprytel
                              Thanks for the suggestion. I never even thought of Joann's, but sure enough... I checked there today and they were well stocked. I even saw this flexible Plaid FX paint for craft foam / cosplay that looked really promising for things like boots... anyone ever try it?
                              never have tried it since regular paint works fine of craft foam for me.
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎