X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

has anyone tried dyeing ....

I need a shirt like what Race Bannon from the J. Quest line is wearing, but in navy blue. has anyone tried dyeing one?
  • RonnyG
    Career Member
    • Apr 23, 2014

I've dyed lots of doll clothes using the Rit DyeMore brand because it's made for synthetic fibers like polyester. I think most doll clothes are made of synthetic materials. However, I don't think you can dye a red shirt to make it blue because blue is a primary color. You would have to a white shirt. If you dye a red shirt with a blue dye, the result will be purple because red and blue mixed together create purple.
    Last edited by RonnyG; Jul 27, '20, 9:20 PM.

Comment

• ToyTalk
      Career Member
      • Mar 25, 2020

I think I'm going to wait to try dying until just that one time at the end of my life. I'm a bit worried about the permanency of the whole process.
      Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• RonnyG
        Career Member
        • Apr 23, 2014

I recently dyed my Bionic Woman doll's pants navy blue because they had faded to purple over time. It turned out okay. If I had to do it again, I probably would've used less dye because they came out a really dark shade of blue. Lesson learned. Still better than the purple color before.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

well doesn't RIT have a color remover to use first? or I suppose you could bleach it, depending on the type of material

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

What about dyeing/modifying a blue Monkees shirt?
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• RonnyG
              Career Member
              • Apr 23, 2014

I've never tried bleaching or using the color remover prior to dyeing so I don't know about that method.
              This is from rit's web page FAQ: Bleach actually damages fabric, making it very difficult to dye. If you still want to try and dye the garment, you could try using Rit Color Remover on the garment before dyeing. However, unfortunately we cannot guarantee this will work.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I've had good luck with color remover, it has worked on both cotton and synthetics for me. Strong bleach solutions can destroy some fabrics.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• sprytel
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 26, 2009

It isn't a hard style to figure out a sewing pattern... and I hate dealing with dye... so if I were you, I would probably just find a nice fabric in the color you want and sew it myself/yourself.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    What about dyeing/modifying a blue Monkees shirt?
                    I did consider that shirt too. I guess either way I will have to buy the figure to get the shirt as they don't part those figures out, that I am aware of

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by sprytel
                      It isn't a hard style to figure out a sewing pattern... and I hate dealing with dye... so if I were you, I would probably just find a nice fabric in the color you want and sew it myself/yourself.
                      I'm not really one for needle and thread, lol. I wish I was, but don't have that skill set

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

do the clothes from the exclusive premier figures fit Mego? the Babylon 5 Sheridan uniform shirt might work

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎