X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheMegoGuy
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jan 26, 2014

New Horse Discovery

I love the mego horses, and I'm really excited to add this new horse to my collection! It just arrived from the UK today. Unlike any other horse I've seen before, it is a brown action stallion with white mane, white tail, and knights saddle:

It came in a large lot of Planet of the Apes toys (actual auction photo):

When I first saw the horse, it looked odd to me. I hadn't seen a brown horse with white tail and mane before. Then I noticed it had the knights saddle that was advertised in the 1975 mego catalog:

In 2013, a complete black knight jousting horse was discovered in the UK that had the saddle:

In 2018, another black knight jousting horse with saddle was discovered in the UK (which I now own):

Both of those horses came with a black horse with white tail and white mane (similar to the AJ black mustang, but without the AJ branding). The knights saddle is molded in the same color as the POTA Action Stallion saddle, but the bridle was molded in a different color (the same color as the Dinah-Mite Golden Pal bridle). My new horse has the same combination, except the horse is brown.

The horse arrived today from the UK and I closely examined the paint and it looks factory:

Here are close-up photos of the saddle:

Here is the new horse next to my original black knight jousting horse:

Here it is next to a standard POTA Action Stallion:

And in the display case with my other horses (I have the black knight jousting horse displayed somewhere else):

My best guess is that the jousting horses were sold in the UK with the black knight cover coming with a black horse and the ivanhoe cover coming with this brown horse. I also suspect that the jousting horses were sold/shipped in regular POTA action stallion boxes.
    Last edited by TheMegoGuy; Jul 25, '20, 4:09 PM.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Oh, that is fantastic!! I will say, "Congratulations" and try not to be envious.

I've never seen the saddle up close, thank you for the pix and description. I think these should be in the museum gallery.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 25, '20, 3:48 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
      Talkative Member
      • May 11, 2013

It make since that the Knights sold well in the U.K. and they were offered more. This isa great find so happy to see the pics.
      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

Hell yeah, congrats! Supercool and the sharing documentation is most appreciated!

… for what's worth, I think your theory is correct having seen a couple of these in POTA boxes too. Silly me – knowing nothing about Super Knights – thought someone mashed-up some bits to have a more complete pony. I actually avoided those auctions because of that. Wild world of Mego-voodoo remains strong!

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Confessional
          Wild world of Mego-voodoo remains strong!
          Yes, the thrill of the hunt--it's exciting to still find variants and prototypes.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

Wow! nice jackpot find, Apes and Knights horses were very cool, congrats.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
              Moderation Engineer
              • Aug 14, 2003

It's so amazing that we can still hop online on a Sunday morning and 2020 to see a new find. That's a really great piece, and you have a wonderful collection of stallions.

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

I hadn't noticed that different saddle sculpt before. Thanks so much for sharing and adding all the documentation. I'm jealous but this horse clearly ended up in a good home.
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

That's what keeps Mego collecting interesting, new old things!
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• TRDouble
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jul 10, 2012

Impressive collection! Congrats on the find!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Oh wow, that is quite a find! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎