X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

80s Universal Monsters book from school book fair

Inspired by drquest's post about looking for a 70s horror series he vaguely recalls, I was wondering if any of you might help me find a Universal Monsters book I owned as a kid.

Here's what I remember of it:

• I bought it at the Scholastic Book Fair we have every year at school. It was probably 1983-85 when I bought it.

• I seem to remember it being branded as a trivia book. It had sections on each of the major monster films (Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolf Man, etc.) and then questions on the films.

• I recall the Wolf Man section containing the word "antiques" (referencing Gwen Conliffe's family antique shop), and I famously (among my family) pronounced it "anti-cues", which some of my family still recalls.

• It had black and white photos from the movies throughout.

• I seem to recall the cover being primarily blue, and having painted vignettes of the monsters heads running from top to bottom. This is really foggy for me though.

I do know it's not any of these books, which always turn up in my searches for it:

And it's not the orange Crestwood House books either. I have many of those now, thanks to my wife rescuing them from the local library.

Any help would be appreciated!

Chris
    sigpic
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

I personally remember reading this and several different monster books by the same author.

https://www.abebooks.com/book-search.../daniel-cohen/

Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

There's a Golden/Whitman monster trivia book by Donald F. Glut, late Seventies, and another monster-rally Dynamite book from the late '70s with Lugosi Dracula on the front, but neither of these fit your time-frame.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 21, '20, 7:17 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

"Great Monsters of the Movies" by Edward Edelson?

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

I used to have the red cover movie monsters book, it was a favorite of mine back in the day.

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Probably this one...written by the same author as the red book. I own every movie monster book ever written...LOL

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

^Dwayne, that looks closer than any book I've seen. Could you tell me the date, or take a picture of one of the interior pages, maybe on the Wolf Man section?

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                ^Dwayne, that looks closer than any book I've seen. Could you tell me the date, or take a picture of one of the interior pages, maybe on the Wolf Man section?

Chris
                I'm not sure where it is now Chris...that's an old pic. I'd have to dig around. It was reprinted multiple times both HC and paperback with different covers. There's that cover image without the blue border, there's a line art version...First printing was 1973, last was 1983 as far as I know.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I'm not sure where it is now Chris...that's an old pic. I'd have to dig around. It was reprinted multiple times both HC and paperback with different covers. There's that cover image without the blue border, there's a line art version...First printing was 1973, last was 1983 as far as I know.
                  No problem, completely understand.

I actually found a YT video where a guy goes through the book...and I still don't think this is it. I'm starting to wonder if I didn't dream this book. The book I had (as I remember it) was just about the Universal films, as I recall. So no Hammer, no early silents, etc.

The search continues!
                  sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    No problem, completely understand.

I actually found a YT video where a guy goes through the book...and I still don't think this is it. I'm starting to wonder if I didn't dream this book. The book I had (as I remember it) was just about the Universal films, as I recall. So no Hammer, no early silents, etc.

The search continues!
                    I hear ya...I'm still looking for a particular Scholastic version of Dracula I had in 5th grade.

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

I think I have it at home. Chaney Wolf Man is on the cover.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^That could be it. Wolf Man really springs to mind with this book, but he's my favorite Universal monster, so that may be it too.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

This it?

Monster Quiz Book.jpg

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

^I don't think so. I don't recall that stark, single photo. I recall the other monsters being on the cover. The trivia angle sounds right though. Maybe there's a different cover out there?

Either way, thanks for looking!

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 10, 2009

It could be. You said 80's. My copy says '75. So it could have easily been repackaged. I'll post some of the interior pics when I can. I haven't looked at this for years, but man I did not realize how much of an impression this had on me! It's just one flashback after another.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎