X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

kenner Dark knight collection

I saw a dealer table recently that had most of TDK and Batman returns figures loose and complete. I picked up Iron Wrench Batman because I had one when I was a kid. I've probably seen all of them before but never paid much attention like I did Super Powers or even Toy Biz.
    Which are the rarest ones and did you have a favorite?
    4211.jpg
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Knock Out Joker (which has a new, more-Nicholson-like body) was hard to find at the time, and I think is still one of the most "rare" figures in the line. He and the Thunderwhip Batman were released in the last series before the line switched over to Batman Returns, and didn't see wide distribution. Thunderwhip Batman was re-released in the BR line, but the Joker was never reissued.

My favorites were the Bruce Wayne/Batman, Shadowing (with the Super Powers-like pop-out wing/cape feature) and That Iron Winch, with the comic accurate colors. An underrated, beautifully crafted line that unfortunately began the endless parade of multi-colored Batman variants, and therefore limited the number of unique characters we got in Batman lines moving forward.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Iron Winch is my favorite. I really like the look of the classic colors with the movie armor.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

^ I agree.

As an aside, though I was was quite relieved that SP Penguin was reisuued for the BR line, I was put off by the red accent colors. Still, the Umbrella Jet is one of my favorite toys. I'd expected a duck-tank.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I remember being so relieved when my Mom showed me a snippet from the Kentucky Post (the "cross the river" edition of the Cincinnati Post my parents subscribed to), showing a picture of local toy company Kenner's reissued Super Powers Batcopter (with Batman inside) swooping in on Sky Escape Joker on his cycle. I had just started collecting in earnest, and the low quality of most of Toy Biz's output had me longing for something better...and here it was.

Unfortunately I had to trade in the other DC characters to get the upgrade in quality.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• B-Lister
            Eccentric Weirdo
            • Mar 19, 2010

Kenner was always great at doing their own thing. Sure they gave us battmissiles and Batskiboats, but they got more creative with the Penguin. I liked that.

It was reminiscent of The Real Ghostbusters, which didn't give us any ghosts from the films or cartoon. Kenner did their own thing, and it was all the better for it.
            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• powersthatbe
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 27, 2010

The Tim drake robin figure was great

Comment

• B-Lister
                Eccentric Weirdo
                • Mar 19, 2010

Except the Marlon Wayans flat top.
                Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• melstapler
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Aug 2, 2014

The final series of the DK Batman (before Kenner issued the Batman Returns figures) were scarce and I wasn't able to find many at TRU stores at that time. Fortunately, KB Toys stocked these for several months in seemingly slightly larger quantities. That series also included a Batjet and a Batwing, which seemed more sturdy than the one issued by ToyBiz. The Batjet was smaller than the Batwing and basically a recolored version of the Kenner Silverhawks Sprinthawk (same tooling) from about 4 or 5 years earlier.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                    Permanent Member
                    • Sep 15, 2014

Finally got around to displaying them ��
                    20200802_094311.jpg

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^Nice. I've been half-heartedly looking for a Knockout Joker for 30 years! His colors work really well in the SP line.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                        Permanent Member
                        • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        ^Nice. I've been half-heartedly looking for a Knockout Joker for 30 years! His colors work really well in the SP line.

Chris
                        There are some early 90's superhero figures that go high everytime toy biz Superman and that Joker apparently. I wonder if they could have been found for song around 2005-10 like 95% of the others.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

^I think that Joker has maintained his value/demand since he first came out. I remember him being sold for some pretty (for the time) hefty prices in the ads in Lees, Tomart's, Toy Shop, etc. It's why I never got one. I kept hoping demand would die down...not so much. I'm cheap too!

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 1, 2005

I love this toy line, these were some of the figures that really got me into being an adult collector when I was in my late teens! My favorite figure of the line is the ShadowWing Batman. While it's a little easier to find on the Dark Knight Collection card, it's pretty scarce on the Batman Returns card. I actually did a video about it on my channel several months back! That KnockOut Joker is awesome too.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

^Shadow Wing Batman FEELS like a Super Powers figure, due to the leg-activated mechanism too. Between this and the Kenner Swamp Thing with the winch arm, it felt like SP was kind of back, just for a hot minute.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎