Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What worked for Robin did not work for Hawkman.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filmation batman fan
    The Man of Many Voices
    • Aug 30, 2005

What worked for Robin did not work for Hawkman.

Well, I had to order a new Hawkman figure because of an unsuccessful attempt to fix Hawkman's loose bobble headedness. What recently worked for the SuperFriends version of Robin, which was actually popping off the head and inserting very small, clear transparent rubber bands to tighten the head, and then pushing the head back on the body. Anyway, I tried to do the same with Hawkman. But as I was working at popping off the head, the left side of his headpiece on the sculpt broke. I inserted the rubber bands on his neck plug, but unlike Robin (and probably most figures) tried with all my might, I could not get Hawkman's head back on his body. I don't know how FTC does it. I used Gorilla Glue to put the headsculpt back together. But I finally gave up and I caved in and ordered a new one tonight. So if the new Hawkman figure also has a loose bobble head, I guess I'll go back to merely pushing the rubber bands down into the neck plug with a sharp object and without removing the head. Does anyone else who collect FTC figures do anything to tighten the heads? I'm open to suggestions.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

do you heat the head up before you try to reinsert it?
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

are you playing with these figures? if not just put it on a shelf/in a display case and leave it as is. it won't move around on its own. I think all of the Hawkman figures have the loose noggin issue

Comment

• filmation batman fan
        The Man of Many Voices
        • Aug 30, 2005

No I do not play with them. But I do get them off the shelves to pose on my coffee table in my rec room so I can take photos to share on my Facebook page. And after that, I place them back on my shelves. But the problem I have with the bobble headedness is when I put them back on the shelf, the loose head likes to turn to the left or right or all the way back, so I have to take him out again to get the head facing front and then carefully try to place him back on the shelf. At my previous residence, I kept them on the card in the clamshell cases on a wall where I was able to use thumb tacks so I could display them on the wall and I had the same problem when I would put them back on the cards. Hope this is a good enough explanation.

Comment

• Gramercyplace
          Museum Super Collector
          • Jan 23, 2012

I’m afraid you might have to switch up to a Type S body. That’s what worked for me. I did use a clear rubberband on the neck to add some tension, but because the Type S body can be unscrewed at the torso, it was easier to make certain the neck-post was sufficiently snug. I wasn’t able to get the FTC body to look normal, lol.

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

The quality of FTC bodies aren’t actually the play with bodies, their more like display only. I agree the Type S bodies would be the way to go for the loose head issue.

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

Hawkman's head material seems a little different to me; like a harder plastic. I was able to pull the head right out of the stock body because it was loose and just "off"; when I pulled it out, I discovered one side of the plug was bent upwards. I heated the in water again (why, I forget) and when I pulled it out, the heat made the plug revert to being flat / normal. It was odd.

I will eventually put him on a Type S, but as mention above, he still needs some help with the head. I can pull Hawkman's head in and out of the Type S torso without unscrewing it. You will need to do a little work too, if you want to transfer the boots to the Type S body.

Comment

• DaniellePlaysWithToys
                Youngest Mego Fan
                • Aug 30, 2019

Oh, that happens to all my figures except the female ones, teen bodies, and Birdman! I bet Birdman was made with a Type S body. If you're wondering, I do play with them (see my username lol), and I also pose them. I want to put them on a shelf, but the only shelf in my room I have has books on it already. Guess I have to buy a new shelf.

After what happened with Superman and Aquaman (still haven't fixed Aquaman), I'm a little afraid to try what you did with Robin to fix everyone's loose heads. I just hope Atom doesn't have this problem (if he's even still coming or if he went the way of Space Ghost.)
                FTC apologist, Hawkman stan, and Cybatom shipper.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
                  Career Member
                  • Jul 23, 2019

What is the trick to applying molded boots/gloves to type S bodies?
                  "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• TRDouble
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by TheVintageToyKid
                    What is the trick to applying molded boots/gloves to type S bodies?
                    The hands are pretty easy. I pull out the plastic pegs from the FTC hero body, add some heat shrink tubing to one end to give them length, and then put the tubing side into the Type S arm. The key is to get the tubing length right, then the gloves stay on the pegs. FTC sometime shoves the pegs too far into the body and the gloves fall off.

The feet are a real pain. I only did a foot conversion twice on the 1966 Batman and Robin. I don't remember exactly what I did -- maybe pulled a Type S hand off the peg, then put the hero body foot peg into that? -- but I screwed it up when I tried to convert Hawkman to a Type S and I haven't tried again since. I keep hoping FTC creates something to use the plug-in gloves and boots, now that they have the Type S body.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by TRDouble
                      The hands are pretty easy. I pull out the plastic pegs from the FTC hero body, add some heat shrink tubing to one end to give them length, and then put the tubing side into the Type S arm. The key is to get the tubing length right, then the gloves stay on the pegs. FTC sometime shoves the pegs too far into the body and the gloves fall off.

The feet are a real pain. I only did a foot conversion twice on the 1966 Batman and Robin. I don't remember exactly what I did -- maybe pulled a Type S hand off the peg, then put the hero body foot peg into that? -- but I screwed it up when I tried to convert Hawkman to a Type S and I haven't tried again since. I keep hoping FTC creates something to use the plug-in gloves and boots, now that they have the Type S body.
                      yep a standard FTC hand peg will slot into the FTC hero boot joint and then into a type s.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎