X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Lone Ranger Ready to Ride Again

One of the things I love most about this vintage article about the launch of the gorgeous line of Lone Ranger action figures by Hubely/Gabriel.

The point made by the president about how parents would recognize these characters and buy them totally works. One Halloween I was told I was going to be the Lone Ranger by my mother and I think it's because she saw the costume, geeked out and bought it for me....

Like Mego Knock-Offs? Join our Facebook group dedicated today, it's an intimate group that focuses just on vintage toys: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Megoknockoff/

The First issue of PlaidStallion's Toy-Ventures Magazine is coming this July, the premier issue will be a salute to Azrak-Hamway international and features articles about Star Trek, Space:1999, World Famous Super Monsters, KISS and of course parachuting Superheroes. Learn more here:

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Oh, that's a great find. One of the best toy lines ever made. Certainly one with the highest level of quality. No offense to Mego, but the Lone Ranger costuming and accessories were much nicer. The line has a "premium" feel to it most toy lines of the time did not.

My Dad still loves the Lone Ranger. My grandparents gave me the Lone Ranger/Silver and Tonto/Scout sets for Christmas when they were re-released with The Legend of the Lone Ranger film, but my Dad was very happy to see me playing with the toys. We watched LR reruns every Saturday.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

One of the lines I've never had but have long admired. Really nice looking high quality toys.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• alex
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 15, 2009

I seriosly peaked at this line for years, telling myself I have no room for it, and finally took the plunge about a year ago, and now have a 3/4 complete collection all MIB and costumes off cards, and only missing a few things. Its seriously beautiful stuff. Brian by the way U have a few things missing from your adventure sets line up on plaidstallions, which was my place to go and peak...

Comment

• ToyTalk
          Career Member
          • Mar 25, 2020

By far my favorite toy in my collection. Even after selling everything off years ago, I kept those two. I owe a great deal of thanks to the members in this forum for ensuring that I never let those go. When I got them mine were MIB. Sadly but with Joy I ended up opening them and putting them on display.
          Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

Besides Mego, Gabriel Lone Ranger collection is tops in 70’s toys, I have seen these complete on ebay, with decent price ranges and at some point maybe this year, I would like to pick up a Tonto and Scout complete.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Beautiful toys, I truly admire them and could easily start collecting. The only one I had (in re-release) was the Lone Ranger, but as a kid, I really liked Tonto and Red Sleeves.

I have the massive Dodge City playset--Masonite! Thanks, RChatlin--which I use for my Mego AmWest figures & customs.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 27, 2010

One of my earliest memories at 4 years old getting the Lone Ranger and Silver for my birthday. I had Silver for A very long time it was a well made toy.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 15, 2012

Interesting article. I tried that marketing logic on my daughter with Star Wars toys. It worked for a little while.

I was checking out the photos. It looks like the handles of Lone Ranger’s guns are different than production. Can’t tell if the boots are smooth in that picture or if they have some added detail.

These are great toys. I have replaced missing parts for my originals and picked up a few extra figures over the years. There is a ton on eBay. It’s just hard to find stuff that is in good shape (mostly the clothes). The articulation on these is very cool compared to others in that era. Just wish there was a way to restring them well without having to break open the chest..
                  Last edited by Myoldtoys; Jul 15, '20, 9:28 PM.

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
                    Career Member
                    • May 14, 2007

I still have Butch Cavandish and I remember getting him because the local store didn't have Tonto, who I really wanted. He spent about thirty years in the attic of my grandparents garage in my G.I. Joe footlocker. I found him and several other toys that had been stashed up there all those years ago. He's now back home with me. I really should get some pictures of him.
                    Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by RSS

The point made by the president about how parents would recognize these characters and buy them totally works. One Halloween I was told I was going to be the Lone Ranger by my mother and I think it's because she saw the costume, geeked out and bought it for me....

This rings totally true with me. Normally it was a hard sell asking my parents for action figures, but they went all out with this line. I never even asked for a single Lone Ranger figure, but for two years straight, I ended up with most of the line with my parents and grandparents buying me this stuff for Christmases, birthdays, etc. This never happened with any other toys, but in this case it was all their idea because Lone Ranger was something they "got", as opposed to superhero and Star Wars figures.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 15, 2012

I'm not sure if my parents bought these for me like you guys are describing. I remember when I got most of my toys, but not these. My parents didn't buy us toys unless it was a birthday or holiday. I used my $1 or later $2 allowance to buy things. I do remember getting a replacement Ranger because he fell and his leg broke at the knee. I also remember buying a couple of the accessories sets at children's palace. I bought red sleeves myself at kaybee toys towards the end of the trail for cowboy figures...when Star Wars toys came out.

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by cjefferys
                          This rings totally true with me. Normally it was a hard sell asking my parents for action figures, but they went all out with this line. I never even asked for a single Lone Ranger figure, but for two years straight, I ended up with most of the line with my parents and grandparents buying me this stuff for Christmases, birthdays, etc. This never happened with any other toys, but in this case it was all their idea because Lone Ranger was something they "got", as opposed to superhero and Star Wars figures.
                          I’m guessing it was because (they) grew up with the Lone Ranger, since it was on the radio in the 1930’s and the tv show late 40’s early 50’s childhood memories for them.

Just like my parents and grandparents liked Tarzan and Flash Gordon.

Comment

• RonnyG
                            Career Member
                            • Apr 23, 2014

Come to think of it, I got a Lone Ranger and Tonto combo gift set when I was a kid in the 1970s, and I don't remember it being something I particularly wanted or asked for. I think it was like the article suggested: My parents or grandparents gave it to me because they like it. I don't think it was the Gabriel version, though. I remember the dolls were light-weight like a cheap plastic knock off version. Even as a kid, I could tell the difference in quality, but it did come with a lot of cool accessories like a campfire. I searched ebay but I couldn't find it.
                            Last edited by RonnyG; Jul 16, '20, 8:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎