X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

Shazam/Sivana question

Anyone know where this image originates, or know of a full-body drawing of Sivana in this particular costume? I'm guessing white belt and boots, but I'd like to know for sure.

• PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I'd like to think--evidently erroneously--that I'm a sort of Marvel Family expert--but I've never seen this before. I'll look around the interwebs...
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      I'd like to think--evidently erroneously--that I'm a sort of Marvel Family expert--but I've never seen this before. I'll look around the interwebs...
      I didn't have any luck, but I don't even know what I don't know when it comes to the Marvel family lore.

Comment

• warlock664
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 15, 2009

That particular panel comes from a strip on the back cover of AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS #17 (SHAZAM ! issue).
        Tawky Tawny and Sivana imagine their respective names as magic words ala “Shazam”. Sivana’s full costume is never shown.
        Pics of the front and back covers from my copy:592E34D3-1D42-43AE-AEEE-2C9EF448B5D7.jpg
        B7714B18-A0FC-4CE2-A6A4-63647EF84B62.jpg

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, I had never seen any of this before. I remember that Alan Weiss cover for AWODCC from a house ad in some of my earliest comics. I believe Weiss just drew one or two Shazam stories and left, having "modernized" their look. Don Newton took that ball and ran with it.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by warlock664
            That particular panel comes from a strip on the back cover of AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS #17 (SHAZAM ! issue).
            SHAZAM!! I'm impressed to see an answer to an apparent "stumper" like that provided so quickly!

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
              Moderation Engineer
              • Aug 14, 2003

Thank you! I never would have found an answer on my own.

Comment

• warlock664
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                Wow, I had never seen any of this before. I remember that Alan Weiss cover for AWODCC from a house ad in some of my earliest comics. I believe Weiss just drew one or two Shazam stories and left, having "modernized" their look. Don Newton took that ball and ran with it.

Chris
                Yeah, Weiss drew just one issue, SHAZAM! #34, then turned it over to Don Newton with #35, which was also the last issue of the book. Thankfully, this was at a time when DC was producing a few Dollar Comics, and SHAZAM moved over to WORLD’S FINEST with #253, and continued in that title until #282, after which the title reverted to a standard 36-page comic again. There were a couple of leftover SHAZAM stories that then saw publication in ADVENTURE COMICS (which had become a digest comic at that point) #s 491 & 492. All of the WF & ADVENTURE stories were drawn by the incomparable Newton.
                DC has recently published a couple of hardcover volumes collecting the new material from SHAZAM! #1-35; I hope-hope-hope we get a third volume collecting all the WF/ADVENTURE material. I own them in the original comics, but it’d be great to have a nice hardcover collection, and finally get to read those ADVENTURE Digest stories at regular size.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Thank you, Warlock. Whew!

I've bought the recent HC collections and am hoping for more, too. I'm such a fan of Newton.
                  Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 15, '20, 9:25 PM.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^I absolutely love Don Newton's work too, and I would love to see more of his work get collected. Between his Batman work and Shazam strip in WF, he was one of the seminal artists of my childhood, and one of the finest artists DC had in their stable.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• MRP
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      ^I absolutely love Don Newton's work too, and I would love to see more of his work get collected. Between his Batman work and Shazam strip in WF, he was one of the seminal artists of my childhood, and one of the finest artists DC had in their stable.

Chris
                      I first discovered Newton on Avengers Annual #9, but my favorite work of his are the Phantom issues he did for Charlton near the end of the run...

-M
                      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎