Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masters of the Universe 1987 the end of line.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Masters of the Universe 1987 the end of line.

The end of an era. The last wave of the original MOTU line in the US.

I don't think MOTU ever really jumped the shark. It was heavy on parts reuse but still a pretty strong wave. Finally figures of King Randor and the Sorceress and Scareglow has become a really popular character.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Honestly, I thought that last wave was great. I was thrilled to get Sorceress and Randor. Clamp Champ was clever and better that Rio Blast or Rokkon & Stonedar IMO. Meteorbs might be jumping the shark, but I don't consider them real MOTU.

Only Ninjor seems strained, I don't like the soft-goods.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      Clamp Champ was clever and better that Rio Blast or Rokkon & Stonedar IMO.
      Never been a huge fan of Rio Blast. The cyborg cowboy thing didn't really click with me.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• powersthatbe
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 27, 2010

actually Rio Blast is my second favorite motu, after Man-E-Faces.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

There's no MOTU figures I actually dislike. I just tend to like the more sword and sorcery type figures the best.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

The 88 Laser Light figures that didn't see a US release. You can definitely see the origins of the NA line with these two.

Comment

• Falstaff13
              Persistent Member
              • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by powersthatbe
              actually Rio Blast is my second favorite motu, after Man-E-Faces.
              Ah, a kindred spirit--I always liked both of these. Man-at-Arms was my favorite of the originals, even before the cartoon where they had him older, and I remember loving the Man-E-Faces comic. But Rio Blast is one I love, and it's mostly because when I was little, one of the first tropes I noticed personally was blendings of sf with westerns ("Spectre of the Gun" on Star Trek, Westworld, Outland as High Noon in Space, and I'd been mentally tracking them for a while when this space cowboy shows up late in a toyline I already was into. He was the last figure I got from the line (and I really should look into the newer versions). I liked the toy design better than the comic, as the comic made it look like he was holding those guns, but for the toy they were clearly hinged to his body, so I liked the cybernetic concept. And even as I aged out of toys then, I was drawn to Bravestarr and just wished for the toys to be in scale.

I know there was a Colonel Blast on the She-Ra cartoon. Does anyone know if any of the later lines ever made a figure of him?
              Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
              Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Falstaff13

I know there was a Colonel Blast on the She-Ra cartoon. Does anyone know if any of the later lines ever made a figure of him?
                Colonel Blast was based on an early concept of Rio Blast. No figure has been made of him.
                Last edited by Werewolf; Jul 13, '20, 10:04 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

• Falstaff13
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 28, 2008

^^^Thanks, Werewolf. I knew that was the early concept, but I didn't know if they'd made one in one of the more recent lines.
                  Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                  Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

MOTU was the first figure line I dropped out of, I think in early 1986. I guess I felt, due to the Filmation cartoon, it was now skewing too young, for me. I felt (at the time) G.I. Joe, Transformers and M.A.S.K. had more "grit" and were a bit more age appropriate, so I kept buying those.

I had every MOTU item up until I dropped out. I'm not sure how I accomplished that. Lots of Christmas and birthday presents, and lawn mowing money!

I was bummed to learn the FINALLY made Randor and the Sorceress after I dropped out. Especially the Sorceress!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

MOTU jumped right after Kobra Khan, with King Hiss and the gang, which is the same time She-Ra showed up with horrendous villains.

The more influence Filmation's tone had on Mattel, the more campy were the villains and the greater the sales decline.

EDIT: Chris - that's roughly the same time frame.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

It's a common misconception that either She-Ra or Filmation caused the sales decline. The cartoons were the driving force of the brand. The sales decline was brought on by Mattel flooding the market with second tier characters when retailers were begging for more He-Man, Skeletor, Beastman, Teela, etc. The characters that were featured heavily on the cartoon sold the best. Another issue was ridiculously over shipping vehicles like Bashasaurus.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

^Oh, I don't believe the cartoon hurt the line, but for a kid "aging" out of playing with toys, the younger skewing animated series just kind of showed me the door, in some ways. There were plenty of younger kids there to pick up the baton.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                            Permanent Member
                            • Sep 15, 2014

There isn't a bad looking figure in the last wave. MOTU is outside of my collecting bubble but I love seeing them. I had more than a few as a kid as well.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
                              MOTU is outside of my collecting bubble but I love seeing them.
                              I also really enjoy seeing stuff outside of what I collect. It's fun to share in others collecting passions

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎