Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody watch The Prisoner 1967 TV series ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Anybody watch The Prisoner 1967 TV series ?

Never seen the show before but heard about it.

Been watching lately - I'm up to episode 4

The pre-credit and credit title sequence is way too long --- watching it reminds me of Peter Griffin watching the extra long Maude intro

Does that big ball thing yell ?
    Whenever it comes after somebody I think I hear deep yelling

Everybody in the town is either a captured agent or an agent of the town, correct ?
    If so, am I suppose to believe maids are agents who've volunteered to do house cleaning and general maid work ?

So far I like it and will keep watching
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

i have never seen it either. I think there are only 6-7 episodes aren't there? always heard good things about it but other than maybe part of one episode I have just never watched

Comment

• libby 1957dog
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 3, 2009

dont know too much about the show but went to the village in north wales where they shot the show ,the beach stuff was shot at black rock sands close by , it was a eye opener as it looked like it was shot somewhere in the mediterranean ,and most of the buildings were just shells with nothing much inside ,it was described to us a a folly ,which usually refers to a fake ruins meant to suggest a castle or some such structure once stood on that site

FOLLY a costly ornamental building with no practical purpose, especially a tower or mock-Gothic ruin built in a large garden or park.

Designed by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis in 1925, Portmerion was built in imitation of a rustic Italian village, to demonstrate how a naturally beautiful place could be developed without spoiling it. Sitting at the feet of Snowdonia it makes for a charming dislocation that is truly unique. Portmeirion's place in popular culture has been set in stone as a result. The iconic sixties spy drama, The Prisoner, led to an avalanche of programmes using Portmeirion as a setting, and many more as an inspiration (Jools Holland, Noel Coward, Paul McCartney, Steven Fry, Supergrass and Iron Maiden are just a few names on that roll call). Previously the village had entertained Frank Lloyd Wright, Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman, making Portmeirion undoubtedly the jewel in the glittering crown of Snowdonia.

More than 90 years after architect Bertram Clough Williams-Ellis came up with the maverick idea of building an Italianate village on the North Wales coast, the unique resort of Portmeirion is more popular than ever.

Famed for being ‘The Village’ in 1960s cult TV series The Prisoner, starring Patrick McGoohan, Portmeirion continues to attract thousands of day and overnight visitors to its brightly-coloured buildings, quirky history and beautiful location.
      anyway heres the place
      Bold colours, Italianate architecture & beautiful sea views, the captivating town of Portmeirion in the north of Wales still attracts thousands of visitors 90 years after its creation. If you haven't been to Portmeirion, you would probably guess that the postcard town was far, far
      Last edited by libby 1957dog; Jul 13, '20, 7:43 AM.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I think it's one of the best bits of television ever, it's influence is everywhere.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• phil
          Persistent Member
          • May 11, 2007

One of the best TV shows ever!

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

Just stay away from the recent reboot mini-series with Jim Caviezel. It looked so promising. It had a great cast... I am pretty much a completionist, but I had to give up on that one...

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by sprytel
              Just stay away from the recent reboot mini-series with Jim Caviezel. It looked so promising. It had a great cast... I am pretty much a completionist, but I had to give up on that one...
              Oh, I stayed right until the end and think you were most wise.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• boss
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 18, 2003

The Prisoner is great.
                Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

The show has a kind of Fantasy Island feel where the viewer is left scratching their heads thinking, how could they do that ?

Comment

• kinostadt
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 14, 2004

I agree that it's one of the best TV series ever. But know going in to it that most of your questions likely won't be answered. If you accept that going in, then you can enjoy it for all its brilliance.

Comment

• J.B.
                      Guild Navigator
                      • Jun 23, 2010

Never seen it, but I do enjoy Maiden's "The Prisoner"

"We want information, information, information"

"Who are you?"
                      "The new number 2"
                      "Who is number 1?"
                      "You are number 6"
                      "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
                      You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

The two guys on the teeter-totter always makes me smile

It's like something from Dr Seuss

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
                          Career Member
                          • May 14, 2007

I love rewatching episodes of The Prisoner and I always seem to find something that I missed before.
                          Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 23, 2013

I watched the series a few years ago on DVD.

I think A and E put it out.

It's fun watching videos on youtube about it, asking what the show was about.

I think Mel Gibson was supposed to star in a re-make long ago.

There were somewhat recent comicbooks made of The Prisoner, as well.

I tried to watch Patrick's Secret Agent show too, but I did not get far in it, it was so bright to watch, it's not like other monochrome shows were there are more shadows to it, to define it, and keep the brightness down.

I loved the Color Television episodes of The Saint, but still did not get to all the early season episodes, but shows like The Wild Wild West were still good when not in Color TV.

And, after seeing The Prisoner, it is always fun for me to watch him in his Columbo episodes.

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Klosterheim
                              And, after seeing The Prisoner, it is always fun for me to watch him in his Columbo episodes.
                              For me, Patrick McGoohan has always been a bad guy and it's weird seeing him as the good guy in the Prisoner

Just watched him the other day as the butthole warden in Alcatraz

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎