Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Expect a third wave of angry videos to go along with them. It's like an assured accessory pack at this point.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      Expect a third wave of angry videos to go along with them.
      Like clockwork. They are building an audience where rage sells and they want that ad revenue.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Like clockwork. They are building an audience where rage sells and they want that ad revenue.
        When BvS came out, me and the other guys on the Fire and Water Podcast Network recorded a very honest show immediately after we all saw it. We didn't set out to be almost entirely negative, but we were, because none of us were very happy with the film, overall. Well, our listeners called us out on it, and between that response, and us all feeling we had lost our way from our "Find Your Joy" mentality, we vowed to never do a show like that again. And we haven't.

Now, we don't go all Pollyanna on everything. There have been a few comic runs we've slogged through and been pretty critical off. But we've been purposefully mindful to keep things light, and find some amount of joy in what we cover...or just don't cover it at all.

I'm not saying that the folks who bang on about these things with such vitriol don't have the right to do so, but I really wish they'd rein it in a bit. I like their content otherwise, and it's just toys, people.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

I'm not saying that the folks who bang on about these things with such vitriol don't have the right to do so, but I really wish they'd rein it in a bit. I like their content otherwise, and it's just toys, people.
          Yeah, it's not normal or healthy to get enraged over a toy. There's a difference between a review discussing the plusses and minuses of an item and just having a conspiracy filled conniption fit at a toy company. I mean I don't like those Spawn turd baby things and don't get the appeal. But I don't get mad about it. I just don't buy them.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

There's a really great YouTube personality named Lindsay Ellis who calls the phenomenon "Thing Bad" and it does guarantee success on the platform. She does it a lot but also acknowledges what she's doing and well, she's really funny, so that helps.

I admit my YouTube history has a lot of "WORST" in the title, I'm not condemning the practice.

It's just how you do it, "The Angry Video Game Nerd" was one of the most successful but it's very obvious that he's something of a character. People have copied his formula but with mixed results.

A lot of folks aren't terribly self-aware and yeah, shouting neckbeard dude angry at an action figure company isn't my idea of a fun evening either.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy

A lot of folks aren't terribly self-aware and yeah, shouting neckbeard dude angry at an action figure company isn't my idea of a fun evening either.
              Even with Angry Video Game Nerd, who was playing a character, it got old pretty fast for me. I think the character worked, at least initially, because it was different. Now that style is becoming the norm it's not a good thing for our overall culture or mental health.

I have a lot of real stresses and worries in my life. That Hasbro didn't make my absolute preferred version of Snake Eyes isn't one of them. I refuse to turn toys into just another thing to be stressed or angry about.
              Last edited by Werewolf; Jul 31, '20, 5:58 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I admit my YouTube history has a lot of "WORST" in the title, I'm not condemning the practice.
                Having a "Worst of" list isn't the same as actually being angry over a toy line. Usually those lists are in fun, in the same lovingly mocking way as you ripping on bad 70s fashions.

I understand being disappointed by a toy companies output. But this "rage against the corporate machine" mindset is just honestly baffling to me. I don't mind you promoting independent customizers, or companies making adjacent product to fill a void from a certain range of collectors, but I just don't see why you would get that bent out of shape about what a toy company is doing. Unless it's Silver Shamrock making masks to melt kids faces or something.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Having a "Worst of" list isn't the same as actually being angry over a toy line. Usually those lists are in fun, in the same lovingly mocking way as you ripping on bad 70s fashions.

Worst stuff can be funny depending on the tone and intent. Youtuber Ashens does videos of odd items and foods he finds at pound shops. Things like Christmas Dinner in a can and really cheap and often poorly made holiday decorations. There's no anger in the videos. No rage of how dare pound world sell such crap. The humor and fun comes from the absurdity of it all.

Comment

• SpideyDude73
                    • Jul 5, 2019

Not to stir the pot but I really like Tony at Analog Toys. I think we must be about the same age and were probably pretty close in the evolution of toys we played with. I think he was speaking from the heart when he reviewed the new retro line. Sure, there are things to like about it but overall I think they missed the mark. Maybe my expectations were high based on the new Retro Star Wars line but the "retro" Joe line just seems misguided. I've got a fair amount of the 25th figures and they are great. It would have been nice to display them like I am with the Star Wars TVC line and Retro line, and little of then and now motif. Such is life...

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by SpideyDude73
                      Not to stir the pot but I really like Tony at Analog Toys.
                      I'm friends with Tony, he's awesome. I only posted this video as an "I guess that didn't go over well" moment because he's usually super duper chill. I also see his point.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by SpideyDude73
                        Not to stir the pot but I really like Tony at Analog Toys.
                        I've liked his previous videos too.

But telling people they need to look at themselves in the mirror if they like the stuff or that Hasbro is laughing at us is way over the top. So is claiming Classified is rubbish. Sure I would have liked full on Sunbow for Classified but they are still high quality toys. If this is a just blip and he goes back to being chill I will continue to watch. I hope he does.

Comment

• SpideyDude73
                          • Jul 5, 2019

I'm jealous... I could probably talk with him for hours and hours. I think his views are honest and genuine and usually spot on. Tell him I said hi.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

I like his stuff too, which is why his reaction to this really surprised me. I personally don't want to see his videos go down the path of RetroBlasting, and become very aggressive, and honestly self-righteous.

Although Michael at RB seems to be pulling out of that skid. Let's hope.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
                              galactic yo-yo
                              • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Werewolf
                              I've liked his previous videos too.

But telling people they need to look at themselves in the mirror if they like the stuff or that Hasbro is laughing at us is way over the top. So is claiming Classified is rubbish. Sure I would have liked full on Sunbow for Classified but they are still high quality toys. If this is a just blip and he goes back to being chill I will continue to watch. I hope he does.
                              He seems to have "righted his ship" so to speak with his review of Wave 2 of the Star Wars Retro line. Some of the stuff he didn't like but it wasn't a big rant like with the Joe stuff.

Comment

• palitoy
                                • Jun 16, 2001

I wouldn't worry about Analog, the Joe thing was really off the cuff, the stuff he produced after, including his say on the Kenner repro figures is his typical measured self. I particularly love his series on Action Force, a toy line I know nothing about but now seriously covet.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎