Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpideyDude73
    • Jul 5, 2019

GI Joe Retro Series

Rumor has it Hasbro is doing a Retro Series similar to the Star Wars line that has 14 figures released since last Fathers Day. I, of course, have all the Star Wars ones and CANNOT wait for the Joe's to be released!
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

It's not been officially announced yet but it is not a rumor. It's a RAH 3 3/4 inch retro line with figures and vehicles. Hopefully the figures are reproduction O-rings and not just reissues of the 25th anniversary figures.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• SpideyDude73
      • Jul 5, 2019

I'll put my money on o-rings. I hope they dont do the stupid weathering on the cards.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

The retro series is repaints and retools of 25th anniversary figures and vehicles with vintage card art.

Hasbro Fan-First Friday GIJoe Live-Stream - GIJoe Retro And SDCC Exclusive
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I guess that didn't go over so good, Tony doesn't do a lot of this kind of thing.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

As a diehard 3 3/4 inch fan I disagree with him that Classified is rubbish. Classified sales are very strong and has brought a lot of energy and excitement to the brand.

I also wanted O-rings. But am honest enough to realize and admit it was a long shot. The tooling and manufacturing costs on those are enormous in comparison to the 5 POA Ghostbusters and SW. Hasbro hasn't been promoting the retro line and wouldn't even acknowledge its existence until the announcement. It was discovered by accident by fans searching through Walmart online files and shipping manifests. The hype and speculation was from fans. Not Hasbro.

About looking at myself in the mirror, I have way too many real problems to get upset about this. With the world in the state it is in I will take happiness and distraction where I can get it. Thinking Hasbro is laughing at us is a bit much. That's approaching Retro Blasting levels of unhealthy.

I love that Baroness sculpt and the new digital face painting really pops. I missed that Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow the first time, so I am okay with them. I army build Hiss tanks and the new drivers are great. So I am also good. I am looking forward to Scarlett, Destro and Roadblock which are on the back of the cards in the cross sell. The 25th anniversary line was originally supposed to be only the first two box sets. So if this takes off, and the pre-orders have been selling briskly, I look forward to what the line will offer.

If someone doesn't like the stuff, that's fine. Do what I do. When I don't like something I don't buy it and move on. Life is too short to get mad over toys.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
              As a diehard 3 3/4 inch fan I disagree with him that Classified is rubbish. Classified sales are very strong and has brought a lot of energy and excitement to the brand.

I also wanted O-rings. But am honest enough to realize and admit it was a long shot. The tooling and manufacturing costs on those are enormous in comparison to the 5 POA Ghostbusters and SW. Hasbro hasn't been promoting the retro line and wouldn't even acknowledge its existence until the announcement. It was discovered by accident by fans searching through Walmart online files and shipping manifests. The hype and speculation was from fans. Not Hasbro.

About looking at myself in the mirror, I have way too many real problems to get upset about this. With the world in the state it is in I will take happiness and distraction where I can get it. Thinking Hasbro is laughing at us is a bit much. That's approaching Retro Blasting levels of unhealthy.

I love that Baroness sculpt and the new digital face painting really pops. I missed that Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow the first time, so I am okay with them. I army build Hiss tanks and the new drivers are great. So I am also good. I am looking forward to Scarlett, Destro and Roadblock which are on the back of the cards in the cross sell. The 25th anniversary line was originally supposed to be only the first two box sets. So if this takes off, and the pre-orders have been selling briskly, I look forward to what the line will offer.

If someone doesn't like the stuff, that's fine. Do what I do. When I don't like something I don't buy it and move on. Life is too short to get mad over toys.
              I just said basically the same thing. Classified is freaking AMAZING. The head sculpts alone bring these characters to life in a way that hasn't been done before. They look like real people.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I would liken this to the release of Mattel Retro-Action: Not terrible, but not quite what fans were hoping for. The aesthetic of the 25th figures is far from the originals.

I agree that it's a lazy release and a bit pandering. I'm reminded of the Marvel Legends figures on Toybiz-style cards.

Added question: Were the original molds not available, or did Hasbro feel accurate repros were unsafe or wouldn't sell?
                Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 18, '20, 11:35 AM. Reason: addition
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  I would liken this to the release of Mattel Retro-Action: Not terrible, but not quite what fans were hoping for.
                  I think that's fair.

We have to remember as much as we like GI JOE it's not in the same sales league as Transformers or SW. Before Classified resurrected GI JOE, it was a dead brand, and hadn't even been on the pegs for four years and that was an exclusive TRU line. The last time Gi Joe had a full retail line was 2013.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Added question: Were the original molds not available, or did Hasbro feel accurate repros were unsafe or wouldn't sell?
                    Most are gone, incomplete or damaged beyond use. There's a reason why popular figures like original Cobra Commander, 83 Destro, 85 Snake Eyes didn't ever get reissued and why reissues of 84 Duke are franken figures. The molds are gone. So even beyond that there's also the cost of multipart O-Ring construction in comparison to the simple 5 POA GB and SW.

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

I just see it as a bit lazy. The figures are really nicely detailed but it feels a bit like Malibu Stacey's new hat in a sense. I've got zero ponies in this race and certainly can't muster up any actual emotion on this or any toys for that matter.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                        I just see it as a bit lazy. The figures are really nicely detailed but it feels a bit like Malibu Stacey's new hat in a sense.
                        To me, the digital face painting is a game changer. I'm more than happy to buy Baroness with a "new hat" when it looks that good.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
                          ..and certainly can't muster up any actual emotion on this or any toys for that matter.
                          A little fondness, surely?
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

A little fondness, surely?
                            I should change that to "Negative Emotion", I played with RAH as a kid and do still look fondly at the characters and concepts. It was and is a great toy line.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

I watched the video. I understand his points, especially considering the other vintage product Hasbro is reproducing. But man...he was certainly on Hasbro's case. Did they phone this in? Yes. But it's a Wal-Mart exclusive line. Not a major release. Hasbro is doing fantastic work in their Marvel Legends line as well, which is definitely not rubbish. Some of what they do may be, but you can't ignore that the company is still putting out quality product. Aesthetically the 6" Classified Joes may stray too far from tradition for some folks, but I don't know how you can argue with their overall quality.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎