X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rayray
    • May 21, 2013

Best way to get rid of smoker smell?

Hi!

I finally splurged after 43 years and bought myself a Diana Ross doll...this would have gotten me grounded for months had I done it at age 10. Now I know why I found it for such a low price...the box and doll were apparently stored in a humidor full of Marlboros

What are some effective ways to rid a doll of smoke smell without damaging it or the box? In the past I used to lay them outside in the sun, thus ensuring further melt and sun damage....

Forgive me if this is posted elsewhere, but I wanted to hear from the most knowledgeable sources first.

Thanks, all,
    Ray
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

I’m curious too. I got some FTC figures on eBay that were apparently owned by a cat with a two pack a day habit and the dolls were on display in his litter box.
    The outfits seem a bit fragile so I didn’t want to wash them and even tho I washed the boots, the smell remains.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Not sure about the box, but this trick should work with the figure and clothes:

Try putting the figure in a large ziploc bag with several fabric softeners. Leave it for at least a week or two, and it should absorb the smell. Worked like a charm for a Mr. Fantastic I have that was blasted with Nicotine Rays.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        Not sure about the box, but this trick should work with the figure and clothes:

Try putting the figure in a large ziploc bag with several fabric softeners. Leave it for at least a week or two, and it should absorb the smell. Worked like a charm for a Mr. Fantastic I have that was blasted with Nicotine Rays.

Chris
        I've never needed to try it myself, but this does seem to be the method that people swear by.

Comment

• rayray
          • May 21, 2013

Thanks - have used this unsuccessfully for books, but will try it on the figure now. And I am loving the image of the cat with a nicotine-infested litter.

Comment

• rayray
            • May 21, 2013

Another question...how to best wash or rinse the clothes? Dress is stained, no doubt a remnant of being accidentally rolled Into a cigar at some point.

Comment

• Confessional
              Maker & Whatnot
              • Aug 8, 2012

Anything exposed to smoke that you can wash, you should, even it's just a gentle hand washing with mild soap or detergent. Pat and air dry. I haven't found Mego clothing that negatively impacts yet. You can even preserve the paper tags if you're careful. If you dig around these forums you'll find many posts on this topic that recommend specific products for particular staining.

It's true, fabric sheets work! I've been able to rid mildew, smoke, and only-gods-know-what-other atrocities from garb with fabric sheets (unscented), but always with a wash first as the fabric sheets don't remove material build up, only odor toxin release.

Chris is correct, give 'em time… took 3 weeks for mildew embedded in burlap material.

Comment

• rayray
                • May 21, 2013

Thank you!

Comment

• rayray
                  • May 21, 2013

Thank you!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

yes, I use dryer sheets as well. if you can fit the whole thing in a bag with a bunch of them so it is sealed up for a while. take the figure and insert out of the box if you can, and put some dryer sheets inside the box as well

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

What concerns me about using dryersheets for deodorizing is that I can't stand the smell of them and never use them in laundry.

Do items treated with them become scented?
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Confessional
                        Maker & Whatnot
                        • Aug 8, 2012

^^ I suppose if you used a scented brand they would, but I use Bounce Free & Gentle which do not contain any perfumes.
                        Last edited by Confessional; Jul 11, '20, 11:16 AM. Reason: …more coffee = more better spellings!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

lol I had no idea unscented ones were made--I thought that was the purpose of dryer sheets.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

no dryer sheets are to prevent static buildup

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                              no dryer sheets are to prevent static buildup
                              I honestly thought they were an alternative to liquid softener, I never use them. The ones I remember from my childhood were awfully scented.

Good to know there's some options for deodorizing.
                              Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 11, '20, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎