X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Ultra-Man Day Interview with Marty Abrams

Happy Ultraman day! Watch the 10:50 (PST) interview with @MegoCorp Marty Abrams discussing their past relationship with the character and possibly giving some sneak peeks at their future. Also, only chance to see his epic quarantine beard.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Epic beard?!? I can only imagine give the 1972 mane he continues to sport to this day #hairenvy
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

I hope the interview gets posted. I couldn't get into the live stream.

Comment

• palitoy
        • Jun 16, 2001

I think it had a meltdown, none of us could get in.

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

I was hoping this was a link to a stream as I was unable to view as well. Too much for the server?

Comment

• Brown Bear
            Still Old School
            • Feb 14, 2008

Must.....see.....pictures.....
            Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

The man can grow a beard.

martybeard.jpg

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
                The man can grow a beard.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28505[/ATTACH]
                HOLY MARTY CLAUS!! That beard is so full it looks like photoshop.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                  Permanent Member
                  • May 15, 2009

This was... Interesting.

Marty clearly doesn't know much about Ultraman. Which I mean, I guess is fine. But kinda odd to be a part of the Ultraman day stuff. When asked about what Ultraman characters he was making, he said red, green and blue...

Which of course, aren't Ultraman characters.

We're getting the original Ultraman, but who the other two characters are it isn't clear. It's not monsters. He specifically said that. I wish he knew what the other two characters were. It seemed like he thought it was all one show and that Ultraman just changed colors on his outfits. Which is not at all correct.

Head sculpt looks good. It's very familiar to fans here.

He plugged the Museum a bunch. Which is cool.
                  Last edited by ODBJBG; Jul 10, '20, 3:53 PM.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                    Often invisible
                    • Jul 18, 2002

I’m sculpting Ultraman Green right now!!

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                    Head sculpt looks good. It's very familiar to fans here.
                    Maybe not as familiar as it might seem.
                    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

I have no idea what's going on with Ultraman, but damn, that beard is thespian perfection!

Comment

• SeattleEd
                        SynthoRes Transmigrator
                        • Oct 24, 2007

Just saw the head on Instagram. Looks great and very Popy looking. Just looks a tad big. Or Marty has tiny hands which I doubt.

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

That's not a beard, this is a beard
                          IMG_9500.jpg
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Eric
                            Museum Patron
                            • Jan 11, 2008

His beard looks similar (except for the color) to Action Jackson's beard.

Comment

• Collector Canine
                              • Aug 21, 2020

I'm skeptically anticipating Mego's Ultraman figure. I'm a huge fan of Ultraman and think it has tons of potential for Mego to go nuts with it and make a truly awesome line of action figures. However... none of what little Mego has told us about it tells me that Mego themselves have any understanding, any little tiny inkling, of the merchandising potential of the entire Ultra franchise. While it is true that we don't know much about what the line will actually be per say, what little has been said has led me to one simple conclusion about what we might be getting. The idea their words have given me about this line frustrates me to no end.

Mego's Ultraman figures, to me, feel like they're going to crash and burn. Making the original Ultraman in dumb non-canon colors he never, ever appeared in while two perfectly good canon recolors that can also act as villains for Ultraman to fight exist for them to utilize; those being Imitation Ultraman from the original series and Ultraman Dark from Ultraman Ginga. I highly doubt Mego even knows they exist at this point. If they knew, they would be doing them instead of "Ultraman Blue and Ultraman Green." I am certain of this. Everything Mego has said reeks of a lack of knowledge of the Ultraman franchise and its massive cast of characters over it's 54 years of existence. Wouldn't the perfect Ultraman toyline by Mego be all the Showa Ultras (or "Ultra Heroes" or "Ultramen," whichever term you wish to call them) and a decent selection of Showa Era Ultraman monsters/kaiju? I'd honestly love it if they did every Ultraman! Showa Era, Heisei Era, New Generation Era, and Reiwa Era. Just all of them.

Unfortunately, Mego likely has no idea what a "Showa Era" even is. This lack of care and knowledge Mego is seeming to show with Ultraman is shameful and I highly, highly recommend that Mego postpones all Ultraman releases to go back to the drawing board. Do more research. See what Ultraman fans actually want. Then come back with a line that will actually make the fans happy rather than frustrate them. I don't feel like their current plans, judging solely by what little we know, will deliver any sort of customer satisfaction whatsoever. Especially from fans of the property. People will just buy the proper canon red Ultraman and leave the blue and green recolors behind to rot on store shelves, making stores think Ultraman product isn't commercially viable and never order any more stock, thereby killing any and all future Ultraman product outside Japan.

All of this stuff has to be approved by Tsuburaya, right? There's no way Tsuburaya would ever approve of the original Ultraman being released in blue and green. It goes completely against the brand's image and will only cause confusion and wrong ideas of what Ultraman is like to people who have maybe never even heard of Ultraman seeing the figures on store shelves. Mego, if that is really what you're doing, then shame on you. You've squandered the potential the Ultraman property has for an amazing 8'' toyline.

Honestly, the only use for blue and green repaints of the original Ultraman that I can think of is to use them as generic Nebula M78/Land of Light citizens, but I don't know how many people would actually be into that. I know at least a small handful of people have to be into that idea.

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                              Maybe not as familiar as it might seem.
                              I'm also extremely curious as to what this means. Frankly, it worries me immensely. I hope we finally found out for sure what's actually going on with Mego Ultraman very soon so I either no longer have to worry or go full frustrated rant mode.
                              Last edited by Collector Canine; Aug 24, '20, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎