Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

Just to clarify, the plan is NOT to release Ultraman in non-canon colors. I've been told that Marty was just being coy here, as they weren't ready to announce anything, but I think it was more of a case of him really just not being familiar with the property. That's okay, really, it is. There are other people who are likely doing the legwork here and Marty is just the spokesman. Unfortunately in this instance, it exposed how little he knew about the property and made it ill conceived for the Ultraman Day fanfare, but it is what it is.

Taro has already been leaked, so it stands to reason that Mego has a better understanding of the property than they showed here. I'd be shocked if Seven wasn't the other Ultra being released, but it's possible that Tsuburaya have pushed for a more recent Ultra to round out the first few. We shall see.

But I'd just dismiss Marty's rainbow Ultramen as just him not really knowing much about the property and sort of deflecting. A better answer would have been to say that they weren't ready to announce the other two yet, but that they would be popular characters.

If anything I'm more concerned that the current Mego body doesn't allow for the Spacium beam pose. That's kind of a bummer.

I highly doubt we'll get any monsters, maybe someone like King Joe or something that could be done with a basic body and some overlays, but I guess that remains to be seen too. The good news is that Mego scales well with the older Ultra Monster Series vinyl figures.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

This is correct, the colours were a ruse because the company could not yet reveal the assortment.

Also, there are people at Mego very familiar with Ultraman, they may not be as "deep in the lore" as some but they know who is who. I have been a fan of the series for well over 30 years and I have every confidence they'll make some fun characters here.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

My comment was a reaction to the assumption that the head being used would be familiar to collectors because it’s just a reissue of the Popy head. It’s not.
        Last edited by CrimsonGhost; Aug 25, '20, 9:27 AM.
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Collector Canine
          • Aug 21, 2020

Everything makes sense now! Thank you guys! I'm a lot more hyped for Mego Ultraman now!

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
          My comment was a reaction to the assumption that the head being used would be familiar to collectors because it’s just a reissue of the Popy head. It’s not.
          I think the head looks a lot better than the Popy one. Definitely more accurate. I was just in an emotional moment and wasn't thinking quite straight when I wrote my big rant post. You seem to be an excellent sculptor.

Comment

• Collector Canine
            • Aug 21, 2020

Do we have any sort of date we should know to watch out for to see Ultraman revealed? How far in advance are future Mego waves usually revealed? I'm incredibly anxious to see this and I can get rather impatient when it's something I'm really excited for.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

We should see things fairly soon, there is no schedule but Wave 9 is due before year's end and they are in production, I've even seen a carded figure from the wave but it wasn't an Ultra character.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Collector Canine
                • Aug 21, 2020

I see. I'm really excited to see the Ultra characters from Mego. I'm glad you all corrected me and steered me away from my judgement-clouding frustration. All of that stuff about the true nature of "Ultraman Blue and Ultraman Green" really should've been obvious to me like it seems to have been to the rest of you. Thank you all again.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                  SynthoRes Transmigrator
                  • Oct 24, 2007

Looks like a keeper.
                  Ultraman.jpg

Comment

• Tiberiusguy
                    Museum Patron
                    • Aug 23, 2019

Hey that looks nice, I might buy him without knowing who he is. I noticed a picture of him on one knee... they could use silver casted Klingon boots for that.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎