X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jorge Galvan
    Career Member
    • Jun 8, 2015

the ARCHIE Red Circle/Dark circle Superhero titles

Hi All, just curious, is anyone here a fan of these books? I have a few of the 1960 books

(Mighty Crusaders, The Fly, the Jaguar) in my collection and with all this time off, I have been rechecking them.

Not bad, typical "silver age" writing and genre, Does anyone know if they held their own against DC & Marvel
    back in the day?

I might be on the look out for more, just to see the genesis of these characters.
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

I like the short-lived revival of these from the early 80s, and am trying to fill in those issues when I see them.

Who can pass up these gorgeous Steranko covers for the Fly?

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I collect the 60s and 80s renditions, the 60s one are surreally bad, trying to be hip, it's sometimes painful but there is something enduring about the characters.

The 80s reboot was a nice try, I think as well done as stuff DC was putting out, I also collected the Impact line. Since then, I've lost touch with many of the reboots save for "The Fox".
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I enjoyed the Archie Adventure books I picked up in the 80s, especially the Fly, and Mighty Crusaders. I knew the characters well so I was excited to see the strange Remco figures, and bought them all, except for The Buzzard, who I could never find.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

The Fly's catchphrase should be..."You're potato salad punk, and I'm here to crap on you."

Comment

• darkbros
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 3, 2012

I loved the Golden Age MLJ characters: Black Hood, Hangman, the Shield

I got to pick up the 60's Mighty Comics Group stuff through flea market hunts when I was 8-10 years old,
            (same time I started also collecting Metamorpho and the Thunder Agents). It was dated for sure, but the core concepts
            were still there...My first introduction to the Fly and Jaguar, as well as the Web and Steel Sterling.

The 80's Red Circle stuff for me came at the right time...burned out on DC and Marvel( Crisis, Secret Wars did it for me)
            I started to turn to Indies to get my comic fix. The Red Circle stuff, the JC Comics Thunder Agents revival and the SilverWolf line,
            as well as Jon Sable and American Flag, kept me in comics when I would have otherwise turned to cars and girls
            ( still did later post 1989 ).

Impact line..was ok, but aside from the Black Hood and the Fly, they didn't really hold my interest.

I love the new Dark Circle Black Hood series from a few years back...and the Return of the Crusaders was a good try at re-capturing the magic
            of the 80's run, mixed with Impact style artwork.

Still waiting on someone who truly cares to approach Archie and revive these heroes correct and proper.
            Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
            https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------
            "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I've a real fondness for these characters, my favorite "knock-off" heroes. I avidly collected Impact! and then the '80's version and figures.

I liked The Fly the best, sadly he's no longer available.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Neutron X
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 22, 2007

I remember Kelly Jones at a 80s Con with B&W copies of his art on Hang Man #1 that never came out. I remember it was so cool, did it ever see the light of day anywhere? Those Steranko Fly covers are classic!

Comment

• fun guy
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 24, 2011

Originally posted by darkbros
                  I loved the Golden Age MLJ characters: Black Hood, Hangman, the Shield

I got to pick up the 60's Mighty Comics Group stuff through flea market hunts when I was 8-10 years old,
                  (same time I started also collecting Metamorpho and the Thunder Agents). It was dated for sure, but the core concepts
                  were still there...My first introduction to the Fly and Jaguar, as well as the Web and Steel Sterling.

The 80's Red Circle stuff for me came at the right time...burned out on DC and Marvel( Crisis, Secret Wars did it for me)
                  I started to turn to Indies to get my comic fix. The Red Circle stuff, the JC Comics Thunder Agents revival and the SilverWolf line,
                  as well as Jon Sable and American Flag, kept me in comics when I would have otherwise turned to cars and girls
                  ( still did later post 1989 ).

Impact line..was ok, but aside from the Black Hood and the Fly, they didn't really hold my interest.

I love the new Dark Circle Black Hood series from a few years back...and the Return of the Crusaders was a good try at re-capturing the magic
                  of the 80's run, mixed with Impact style artwork.

Still waiting on someone who truly cares to approach Archie and revive these heroes correct and proper.
                  Yeah,me too.i hope it is dc comics again.you make a good point

Comment

• monitor_ep
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 11, 2013

I have a nice collection Mighty Crusaders and there solo books from the original run and all the reboots. I even have those awful action figures that I picked up at K-Mart when they first came out.

I liked the stories. They were good. I am thankful that my local grocery store spinner rack had more than just Marvel & DC.
                    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• MRP
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2016

I just picked up these two at my LCS today with a little birthday money from my mom (well I got a whole stack of back issues, but these were the only 2 Red Circle books...)

from the 1967 run of Mighty Comics

-M
                      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎