X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jrfjr126rock
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 23, 2008

Why DC over Marvel

Im sure this question has been asked before but why does it seem much easier for these companies to make DC mego figures instead of Marvel? I know DST did a couple of mego-like figures but they also did Star Trek and Mego has been able to make them again as well.

While I am excited and happy for the upcoming DC mego figures, I really want them to give us just a few Marvel characters. FTC did a great job pushing out a lot of people on the DC side tbh.
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Disney and Hasbro.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

Hasbro holds that master toy license so they dictate what kinds of licenses are available. When DST wanted to do Marvel retro cloth figures, the only license available was for an $80 collectors figure. Apparently, that situation hasn’t changed.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Jrfjr126rock
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 23, 2008

Damn that is a shame. I wish we got a few more DST figures then as I really appreciate them.

We should've at least got a Hulk series, Black Panther and a female (Storm or Black Widow come to mind)

Comment

• tiinacat
          Museum Patron
          • Feb 4, 2015

I think the reason DST stopped is too many of us waited to get them cheaper not wanting to pay over 40 for a set. I know I never paid more.

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

I think eventually Disney will see the writing (or rather the money) on the wall and renegotiate the toy contract with Hasbro. There's absolutely no reason FTC couldn't be producing Mego repros alongside Marvel Legends. It worked just fine with FTC and Mattel's DC Universe Classics. I think the two styles of figures appeal to very different demographics and are almost mutually exclusive of each other. I really don't see the sales of one affecting the other at all.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

^Having heard some of the numbers, I doubt Disney would bother.

Comment

• Count_Popula
                Museum Super Collector
                • Aug 28, 2018

Originally posted by Jrfjr126rock
                We should've at least got a Hulk series
                These are very wanted figures! They'd be the first ever officially licensed Incredible Hulk TV Series figures. A fact that is hard to believe, given the decades long popularity of the show. Mego is apparently about to produce an official Universal Monster, the Creature, and Universal produced the Hulk show. A possible first step in the right direction.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Count_Popula
                  These are very wanted figures! They'd be the first ever officially licensed Incredible Hulk TV Series figures. A fact that is hard to believe, given the decades long popularity of the show. Mego is apparently about to produce an official Universal Monster, the Creature, and Universal produced the Hulk show. A possible first step in the right direction.
                  I’ll bet the reason there’s never been a Ferrigno Hulk figure is because the licensing is a giant mess.

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                    I’ll bet the reason there’s never been a Ferrigno Hulk figure is because the licensing is a giant mess.
                    Could be now, but he was definitely featured on other merch in the 70's. Topps card set for one. There were some Scholastic posters too.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                      Often invisible
                      • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by enyawd72
                      Could be now, but he was definitely featured on other merch in the 70's. Topps card set for one. There were some Scholastic posters too.
                      Well, sure, I was talking about now. I’m no expert, but even in the 70’s where The Hulk was on everything, it seems like it was more often Marvel art than TV show images. I imagine it was cheaper probably because of likeness rights.
                      I’m just guessing tho.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

It was always a little hinky, posters, puzzles and trading cards for some reason, always the easiest things to get made but anything tangible, it gets weird.

I know someone that wanted to create 1/6th scaled figures of the entire CBS patheon of characters, it's like a Hydra, Disney + Production Company (seems to be 3 seperate entitites) + actor likeness. It's not impossible, I mean look at the '66 Batman explosion but you need someone trying to put it together and it doesn't seem that Disney cares.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Throw Universal into that mix too. They still have some hold over the show. I imagine it'll show up on Peacock eventually instead of Disney +
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                            Throw Universal into that mix too. They still have some hold over the show. I imagine it'll show up on Peacock eventually instead of Disney +
                            It certainly doesn't help matters that Disney/Marvel act like anything made before the merger doesn't exist. All they want to push is their new stuff. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that we've had seven live action Spider-Man films but they STILL haven't released the '77 series, Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, or Spider-Man the Animated Series on blu-ray.

Meanwhile DC and WB are laughing all the way to the bank. Every live action and animated iteration of everything is available.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

^True, but Batman '66 took decades to reachieve legitimacy and licensing. And as for newer DC films, all the source material is recent. It's like Geoff Johns is the messiah.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎