X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Big Jim PACK Attack

I love everything about this early Big Jim PACK page from the 1975 Wards catalog, note the rough logo, and the description that lists the P.A.C.K members as reformed bad guys. Both of those things would disappear when the toys hit shelves.

Like Mego Knock-Offs? Join our Facebook group dedicated today, it's an intimate group that focuses just on vintage toys: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Megoknockoff/

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

I notice they also dropped the backstory of Dr. Steel being a recovering meth addict.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

The truck from Barbie's horse trailer set. I think that was reused for the Sunshine Family too.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

^And earlier for the Big Jim Safari Jeep.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Most of the original Big Jim vehicles were molded in black and had PACK stickers, I think the lazervette is the only new tooling.

In the PACK Comic, the Blitz Rig is clearly a repurposed Big Jim Camper but it didn't come out that way.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• toyhunter1970
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 24, 2020

I love the way Big Jim Commander and Dr Steel are positioned real bad arse

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
              Most of the original Big Jim vehicles were molded in black and had PACK stickers, I think the lazervette is the only new tooling.

In the PACK Comic, the Blitz Rig is clearly a repurposed Big Jim Camper but it didn't come out that way.
              I've never cared for the PACK camper as pictured, I think the classic Barbie camper would have been better but perhaps the truck seemed more rugged.
              Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 6, '20, 11:58 AM.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                I've never care for the PACK camper as pictured, I think the classic Barbie camper would have been better but perhaps the truck seemed more rugged.
                Yeah as far as I can tell, the Beast is the earliest PACK Vehicle. As a collector of PACK stuff, it's the one I don't own.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  ^And earlier for the Big Jim Safari Jeep.
                  The Barbie Travelin Trailer saw a lot of use. I'm pretty sure the Big Jim vettes were retooled from the Barbie Star/Super/Dream Vette mold.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• toyhunter1970
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 24, 2020

question the pack comic book ad from 1975 was it drawn by jack kirby? This still ad mesmerizes me
                    Last edited by toyhunter1970; Jul 6, '20, 1:34 PM.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                      Still Old School
                      • Feb 14, 2008

Big Jim and Dr Steel were HUGE parts of my childhood
                      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

I'm trying to remember how Dr. Steel was marketed pre-P.A.C.K. If not a villain at least some kind of anti-hero? I haven't seen his original commercial in decades so perhaps I'm just imagining that.

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

He was marketed as Jim's "greatest challenge" and the whole concept was "is he friend or foe".

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                            He was marketed as Jim's "greatest challenge" and the whole concept was "is he friend or foe".
                            Ah thanks, that must have been what I was remembering. Good idea on Mattel's part actually, it opened up the play scenario possibilities for the figure.

Comment

• toyhunter1970
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 24, 2020

Originally posted by toyhunter1970
                              question the pack comic book ad from 1975 was it drawn by jack kirby? This still ad mesmerizes me
                              https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dKcAA...-4/s-l1600.jpg
                              bueller bueller?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎