X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: Top Ten 70s Peg Warmers

Somebody has to be last picked. No matter how cool the toyline is, there is likely at least one that kids didn’t want and was forced to get that dreaded big red sticker one. This week’s Toy Ventures takes a look at some beloved properties (that we love, I swear!) and looks at the “last picked” figure from every assortment counting down to the #1 least popular action figure of the 1970s. Agree with me? Disagree with me? It’s all good, I want to hear your thoughts.

[COLOR=rgba(0 , 0 , 0 , 0.87)]Toy-Ventures Magazine Indie Go-Go ends tomorrow, if you’re into print publications, you may want to check this out: https://igg.me/at/7YMYRa6w7z4/x/23754935#/ Pod-Stallions FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/podstallions/[/COLOR]For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

I didn't mind having R5-D4. I would pretend he was a different droid and use him and R2 for whatever pretend space battle I needed them for.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Great video! It's nice to know Secret Wars Kang wasn't the original Peg Warmer, although he may just be the most infamous.

I wish I could have found Mxys rotting on the shelf though. Oddly enough, the only Peg Warming Mego I ever encountered was an end cap of Spider-Man at a Children's Palace in 1986. And I didn't buy any, like a dork! Instead, I bought frickin' Bravestarr!!!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        Great video! It's nice to know Secret Wars Kang wasn't the original Peg Warmer, although he may just be the most infamous.

I wish I could have found Mxys rotting on the shelf though. Oddly enough, the only Peg Warming Mego I ever encountered was an end cap of Spider-Man at a Children's Palace in 1986. And I didn't buy any, like a dork! Instead, I bought frickin' Bravestarr!!!

Chris
        I'd like to do an 80s one and yeah, Kang and Super Powers Kalibak will be on that list. Buzz Off too...
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^I saw quite a few Darkseids for years afterwards too. I believe he had his own case assortment, due to the bigger cardback, so it kind of makes sense.

And again...I didn't pick up one to keep carded!!!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Falstaff13
            Persistent Member
            • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
            I'd like to do an 80s one and yeah, Kang and Super Powers Kalibak will be on that list. Buzz Off too...
            Ironically, I was thinking as I watched this that I had R5-D4 and got him and the Gonk power droid for my 5th birthday. Even though I've always loved the films and comics, I was never a Star Wars toy kid (there were other lines I was into, so I just didn't go for these). I guess I got those as a gift because they were sitting on pegs? (The only other Kenner Star Wars I ever got were also for birthdays--Lobot & Bespin Han, so these four all ended up in my assortment of toys on a play table that saw a battle on Eternia but included Super Powers, Legends of the West, Indiana Jones, AD&D, and anything else I had, so the droids and Lobot were minions of Skeletor, while Han assisted He-Man.)

Mostly, I didn't get tons of toys from these lines as gifts, but later in the 1980s, I got at the same birthday two versions of...Buzz Off. I hadn't thought of him as a peg warmer, as I don't think I saw him in a store myself, but I'm guessing that was what led to two different friends deciding I needed him in my collection. Since I always wanted more villains, I ignored the comic, and these two bee people, Buff Off and his twin Buzz On, fought on the side of evil. All that said, I never could find Kalibak in those days and wish he'd warmed pegs near me.
            Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
            Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

Buzz Off is a weird one, I saw lots of him and it seems that from what I understand, Mattel totally overshipped him. So it's not that kids didn't like him, it's that they overestimated how much, i could be way off on this.

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

Nerd among nerds comment- I really got off on seeing that Two Guys sticker! I would love to have more Mego with Two Guys stickers on them.

I had Mxy as a kid and I remember him getting almost NO playtime. I'd sooner have Supes battle the Neptunian or cross over to fight the Hulk or Thing. Even as an adult re-collector, I think I waited to get the always cheaper Mxy until last.
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I knew you'd dig those.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

Speaking of 80s peg warmers,I noticed a lot of the weapons packs would warm the pegs. Be it Masters of the Universe or G.I. Joe.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^I loved those things, but yeah, I remember seeing the first GI Joe weapons pack forever at our local Howard's.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                        Buzz Off is a weird one, I saw lots of him and it seems that from what I understand, Mattel totally overshipped him. So it's not that kids didn't like him, it's that they overestimated how much, i could be way off on this.
                        You are exactly right on this.

Buzz-off wasn't unpopular. He and several other second tier heroes and villains were just crazy over shipped. It's kind of one my toy pet peeves that She-Ra gets falsely blamed for MOTU's downfall. In early 1986 MOTU was still selling like crazy. Retailers were begging for more of super popular first tier characters regular He-Man, regular Skeletor, Beastman, Trapjaw, etc. Instead retailers got tons of figures like Buzz-off and Snout Spout. So you got frustrated kids that couldn't find their favorites from the cartoon and lesser characters glutting the pegs. That's what killed the line. Not She-Ra.
                        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

^My understanding is case assortments also greatly hurt the Super Powers line. I have heard of whole cases of Penguin figures jamming up the shelves in some areas.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

^My understanding is case assortments also greatly hurt the Super Powers line. I have heard of whole cases of Penguin figures jamming up the shelves in some areas.

Chris
                            Wonder Woman was not popular here, I remember a toy shop close to me bought out a distributors overstock of Jabba sets and Super Powers WW. So many!

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

^My understanding is case assortments also greatly hurt the Super Powers line.
                              Oh, yeah, Super Powers must have had terrible case assortments. It's kind of hard to imagine now, when you seen nothing but Batman on the pegs, that during the SP era Batman was really hard to find. Besides the obvious like Darkseid and Kalibak the Flash was big peg warmer at the TRUs I went to.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎