X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Psst! Hammerman's After You!

Between ABC's Afterschool Special and CBS's Afternoon Playhouse, working out at home has allowed me to see about 40 mini-dramas dealing with every teen issue from foster care to what to do with 7 wishes to teen pregnancy to being a basketball player who takes ballet to drug use to shoplifting to... well let's just say they run the gambit.

Do you have a favorite or even any memories of these teen dramas?

The other thing that fascinates me about these- I have yet to see one that did not have a future star from 70s teen celebrities (Leif Garrett, Kristy McNichol) to proto-80 & 90s stars (Cynthia Nixon, Rob Lowe). The one I watched today (I Think I Maybe Pregnant) had Jennifer Jason Leigh, Helen Hunt, Tracy Gold and Ally Sheedy!
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I recall these, Peter Billingsley did one. The Truth About Alex with Scott Baio was important to me. I had forgotten it was on HBO and not truly an afterschool special.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

I remember a made for TV movie with Helen Hunt called "Quarterback Princess" from the early 80s that I thought was kind of neat. It also had Daphne Zuniga and Tim Robbins in the cast.

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        I recall these, Peter Billingsley did one. The Truth About Alex with Scott Baio was important to me. I had forgotten it was on HBO and not truly an afterschool special.
        You know, as I enjoy these now for their combination of noble intentions, cheese and nostalgia, I forget that they very well may have helped a lot of people. I realize sometimes the messages may have fell flat but other times they may have connected with kids, even by simply bringing discussions to the forefront.

I'm sure there are plenty I will still enjoy ironically. I'm not sure how serious I can take the threat of The Day My Kid Went Punk. And I will enjoy the corny overplay of I Was a Teenage Shoplifter. But I will also remember how I was affected by the alcoholic mother in Francesa, Baby. (not my mother and not always alcohol)
        Last edited by Wee67; Jun 30, '20, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Makernaut
          I remember a made for TV movie with Helen Hunt called "Quarterback Princess" from the early 80s that I thought was kind of neat. It also had Daphne Zuniga and Tim Robbins in the cast.
          Sounds like the 1973 episode, Rookie of the Year, where Jodie Foster plays a girl playing on the all-boy little league team.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Honestly, we'd probably all be better off if there was something like this now. These types of shows may have caused groans and eye rolls at times, but they still managed to get their messages in the minds of the kids watching them.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
              Moderation Engineer
              • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              Honestly, we'd probably all be better off if there was something like this now. These types of shows may have caused groans and eye rolls at times, but they still managed to get their messages in the minds of the kids watching them.

Chris
              Oh c'mon! Watching PewDiePie screaming "Oh my Gawd!" while playing video games is all my kids need to grow up as balanced empathetic adults. Get with it Boomer!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Oh c'mon! Watching PewDiePie screaming "Oh my Gawd!" while playing video games is all my kids need to grow up as balanced empathetic adults. Get with it Boomer!
                Oh yes, YouTubers are such great role models (sorry Brian).

I don't think I'm a Boomer am I? I'm pretty sure I'm a Gen Xer.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  Oh yes, YouTubers are such great role models (sorry Brian).
                  Oh no, that's totally fair, I'm pretty awful.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Oh no, that's totally fair, I'm pretty awful.
                    I caught my kids watching your videos and grounded them for a month.
                    sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 26, 2009

I don't remember many of these... but the descriptions and list of stars you all are posting seem like they came out of same crazy Mad-Lib style generator.

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Funny my daughter and I just watched this, appropriately enough the last minute or so is cut off, what a nightmare for this family...

Comment

• Wee67
                          Museum Correspondent
                          • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
                          Funny my daughter and I just watched this, appropriately enough the last minute or so is cut off, what a nightmare for this family...
                          Here you go. This one has the end AND the credits. Just zoom to the end to answer all those hanging questions.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 28, 2008

I came here for a discussion of that lost gem, MC Hammer's Saturday morning cartoon.
                            Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                            Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Falstaff13
                              I came here for a discussion of that lost gem, MC Hammer's Saturday morning cartoon.
                              I also assumed that.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎