X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Confessional
    I watched it on Hec's strong recommendation; never read the comic… while I understand it's supposed to be over-the-top, the constant degradation and contrived shock value of the characters wears thin quickly. That's a shame as there is interesting content that could be better presented/utilized. I'm thinking about the way humor, creativity, culture war and violence is used in Preacher, Umbrella Academy and Watchmen (HBO). All of which are far better offerings me thinks as intellect goes a long way in a violent and mad world.
    I can see that for sure.

I'm glad you brought up Preacher. The first season of that was excellent!

Is Umbrella Academy worth a watch?
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Doom Patrol I really like. It captures the Morrison era weirdness perfectly. I didn’t mean there was a Watchmen influence, I just blame that comic for a lot of the deconstruction of the superhero in series like the boys.

Originally posted by drquest
      It has a Watchman vibe for sure, but I sure have enjoyed it. I tried watching Doom Patrol and couldn't get into that one myself, maybe I should try it again.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
        We are in total disagreement here. I loved every single episode...especially the season finale.

And that’s the point of The Boys, over the top and then some.

The comics books are even more over the top and extreme. I’m glad they are changing things up as to keep surprising viewers.

I realize it’s not for everyone. But for me, it’s right up my alley.
        I don't know where you got any of that from me, because I didn't say that was my problem.

It was a horribly written and incoherent mess. It didn't start off like that, but the last three eps were obviously revised during shooting and that wrecked eps three and four and made one and two seem like an alternate storyline.

The whole point of the first season was built on realistic actions/reactions/results. It requires real disciplined writing to follow through and to not give into melodrama and use relationships as constant excuses. You have to write where the story leads, and if that means half the cast is dead, so be it. If that means the season ends with everyone splitting up, then do it and leave it at that. But eventually everyone produces like Lost or Walking Dead and gives into making expensive soap operas.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Is it War and Peace? Well, of course not, lol.

But for what it is...pure escapism, it works. And that’s all I want and expect from this type of entertainment.

Can’t wait for season 3...
          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by drquest
            I can see that for sure.

I'm glad you brought up Preacher. The first season of that was excellent!

Is Umbrella Academy worth a watch?
            I love Umbrella Academy. It’s somewhat similar to Doom Patrol.

I prefer Umbrella Academy...although I have not seen season 2 of Doom Patrol yet.
            Last edited by Hector; Oct 14, '20, 5:08 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

i am enjoying The Boys a lot. S1 was way better but this season has been good. I still have to watch the finale.

I like Umbrella Academy better than Doom Patrol. DP is just plain weird. maybe that's what its supposed to be, I never read the comic so I don't know

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                i am enjoying The Boys a lot. S1 was way better but this season has been good. I still have to watch the finale.

I like Umbrella Academy better than Doom Patrol. DP is just plain weird. maybe that's what its supposed to be, I never read the comic so I don't know
                I love Brandon Fraser’s Cliff/Robotman, dude is hilarious. But Jane 64 distinct identities girl is just plain annoying. Constantly throwing non-stop F-bombs left and right and her downright bombastic/confrontational demeanor is just tiresome to me. But the rest of the cast is pretty good. Well, Umbrella Academy’s Diego Hargreeves gets on my nerves too. Darn, I just dissed two Hispanic actors...

I do understand Doom Patrol is the original of the bunch. So Umbrella Academy and even the X-Men owes much to Doom Patrol, as the X-Men appeared three months later after Doom Patrol (1963).
                sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I love Brandon Fraser’s Cliff/Robotman, dude is hilarious. But Jane 64 distinct identities girl is just plain annoying. Constantly throwing non-stop F-bombs left and right and her downright bombastic/confrontational demeanor is just tiresome to me.

By "tiresome" I believe you meant to say "ENDLESSLY ENTERTAINING"
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

I love Brandon Fraser’s Cliff/Robotman, dude is hilarious. But Jane 64 distinct identities girl is just plain annoying. Constantly throwing non-stop F-bombs left and right and her downright bombastic/confrontational demeanor is just tiresome to me.

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff

Doom Patrol fascinated me. I loved the various comics incarnations, too. "Weird" is the point, it was de rigeur in the '90s incarnation which strongly influences the show. I thought the characters were masterfully handled, including Negative Man.
                      s
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• sprytel
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 26, 2009

Constantly throwing non-stop F-bombs left and right and her downright bombastic/confrontational demeanor
                        Change "her" to "his" and I think it is actually a closer description to Robotman's personality... yet neither have gotten old to me. That entire cast is phenomenal and IMHO that show is one of the best current shows out there.

Actually, speaking of: have you ever seen an interview with Brendan Fraser? He is the most soft-spoken, sweet and sensitive guy in real life. He is totally unlike Robotman or really any of his big screen personas. It is kind of wild to see...

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

Is it War and Peace? Well, of course not, lol.

But for what it is...pure escapism, it works. And that’s all I want and expect from this type of entertainment.

Can’t wait for season 3...
                          "Pure Escapism" is Marvel's domain and has been for a decade. The consequences never hold weight, just like comics. The entire point to Boys season one was about living with the consequences of wish fulfillment. The violence and the gore had a logical reason, (supes will accidentally or intentionally kill people). Season 2 literally put them through a whale. If A-Train running through a person turns them into a blot, what should happen if you hit a whale at ramming speed?

If you go back and look at S1 you see a similar idea with Nolan's Batman in that superheroics only outcome is escalation. With S2 they get what, three eps in and suddenly Homelander is whipping around the globe killing all the villains he made. That turned the entire S1 Compound V subplot into a macguffin. So know we have S2 ending with a big ol' twist as to who was the actual Scanner. Except, it's not possible because when you look at the court room scene it couldn't have been the same person, and that ending made everything we just watched about the church have zero purpose to the season.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

I can see your points...
                            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by sprytel
                              Change "her" to "his" and I think it is actually a closer description to Robotman's personality... yet neither have gotten old to me. That entire cast is phenomenal and IMHO that show is one of the best current shows out there.
                              More than anything, it’s her 64 identities that’s the main issue with me.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎