X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justzeg18
    Career Member
    • May 5, 2003

Anyone Else Still Furloughed?

I've been off since the beginning of April and was just recently made aware that I'll be off until September.

It's starting to get to me, anyone else?

In the beginning I was ACTIVE.

I caught up on long ignored projects, reaffirmed interests that had taken second stage, and managed to not spend much (if any money).

Obviously it came in waves (I mean, I didn't all of a sudden become a fully stable person...) but now I'm reaching the point where I can't make myself do anything even mostly productive.
    I even did the legwork before now to be able to start some goal projects when this freedom-from-work-hangover hit and I haven't accomplished the first steps yet despite removing the hurdles.

How is everyone else dealing extended open time?

Note: I'm single, live alone, and am fortunate enough to currently be financially stable. I fully understand that people with families or hardships don't have the luxury of not accomplishing anything and I hope my inquiring about how to cope isn't insulting or dismissive. I just find myself in an odd spot.
  • YoungOnce
    Career Member
    • Aug 29, 2007

Yes, My work is still down too. Like you, I am blessed to not be severely financially strapped and have used the downtime to catch up on a few projects I’d been putting off. I enjoyed that for a while, but now there is a nagging feeling like “I need to get back to my real life.”

I’m sure the uncertainty of any resolution plays a part in the anxiety too. If I knew for sure that, “yes... it’s a hardship, but the cut-off date is September 1st”, then I think it would be easier to “man-up” and get to the finish line. But not knowing when and if this will get back to normal adds another level of stress.

Maybe think Groundhog Day (the movie). Start a new language... learn a few chords on the guitar... ya gotta keep your mind moving in order to stop staring at the calendar.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
      Permanent Member
      • Jun 29, 2018

Never furloughed, in fact I have been working an average of 12 hours a week overtime. We were offered the option of taking up to ten unpaid furlough days but since we are at minimum staffing already, any absences would have to be covered by staff on overtime so I don't see this as saving the city any money in my department.

Comment

• argent007
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 7, 2005

I’ve been working remotely since early March. I may not be going back to an office this year. I love it.
        My Updated Want List:
        Comic book original art
        1970s Hulk or Spider-man metal garbage can
        Custom Mego Nexus, Grendel

Have lots of comics and Marvel Legends figures for trades. Thanks!

Comment

• toyman
          Just Another Collector
          • Sep 1, 2008

Not been so far but may be soon, My managers son has he virus as of yesterday and the manager has been tested awaiting results now....

Comment

• steelcouch
            Career Member
            • Feb 11, 2006

This will be my second week of furlough. I’m in teaching and so far the next school year doesn’t look promising. I started off by catching up on home projects but have since been doing projects for my parents. It’s nice to get the things done that I usually couldn’t get too but keeping busy has been exhausting. Not sure where this will end up because we’re financially stable now but my wife just went through testing because she was exposed to a co worker who caught the virus from a recently opened gym. Now my daughter has come down with a fever and sent home till she gets tested. They both work for the same company but in different fields. Have had to put off projects till their results are in.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

I've been working from home since March but I've been off for the past couple weeks due to racking up my arms (my computer desk at home is apparently not very ergonomic and it finally caught up with me, causing some tendonitis). My wife is still furloughed, she works at a restaurant that isn't able to reopen yet. Luckily the government extended emergency payments for a couple more months.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                Still Old School
                • Feb 14, 2008

I went on vacation for March Break with my kids and never went back. We're told we will continue WFH to the end of the summer.

Luckily the timing of our new puppy resolved any boredom issues with the kids and I've adjusted to working from my man cave, surrounded by toys.

I REALLY miss my parents who I saw almost every week and it stinks we can't visit. I honestly don't miss Walmart, Tim Hortons or the malls at all, not even a little and spending time in my backyard has been nice. I also love the daily walks with my kids during the work days. If not for missing family, I'd be much better.

Nova Scotia is about 16 days straight now with zero new cases and I think once we reach 30 days, it's time to rock n roll. It would be nice to take the kids to Toys R Us to pick out a grading gift.
                Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Makernaut
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 22, 2015

I am semi-retired but have worked a full-time job outside of my field for the last 5 years. I took a voluntary furlough from mid-March to mid-May as a way to keep co-workers from having to take reduced hours or pay cuts beyond what they were already having to take due to a massive slow down in business (we supply business, industry, and government entities that were shut-down or working from home). I came back just as everything was ramping up and making up for lost time. Now it's looking like everything might have to shut down again because this time, COVID 19 cases are hitting the numbers we avoided during the shut down.

I didn't mind the time off, too much. It was a bummer to have the time and not be able to travel a bit, but I caught up on some reading, did some small projects and watched movies and TV shows. Had a pretty good exercise routine going and took lots of walks on top of that. We have a nice walking trail system all around town and there were days I did as many as 12 miles in a day. Most weekdays I did at least 3 miles and there was one week by the end of my time off that I logged 30 miles for the week. Overall, it wasn't too bad and in some ways it was enjoyable. I didn't feel shut in, because I could get outside and I certainly enjoyed the long periods of solitude it afforded me. But, all things considered, I prefer to work while I can and like the routine so I am hoping to not have to go through that again for a multitude of reasons, be they selfish or otherwise.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

After months of being in a huge building by myself, we returned June 1 with a skeleton crew, just three other people. The last few weeks has been weirdly a combination of fun and frustrating. We blared the radio all day and i mainly wear a t-shirt. We're set to return July 2nd, I'm not looking forward to seeing everybody, I kind of liked this.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• toyhunter1970
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 24, 2020

unemployed here along with 47 million americans. I wish I was Furloughed

Comment

• Red Hulk
                        Career Member
                        • Dec 19, 2012

I've been off since mid March and will be till September.

Comment

• justzeg18
                          Career Member
                          • May 5, 2003

Originally posted by toyhunter1970
                          unemployed here along with 47 million americans. I wish I was Furloughed
                          I feel ya.
                          I don’t have a ton of faith that I’ll have a job to stay at if/when we get called back.
                          Our contract will “force” them to bring us off furlough, but I’m expecting (and have been warned of) some deep layoffs on day one.
                          I’m in the bottom 3rd seniority-wise so My confidence is low.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                            Career Member
                            • Jun 8, 2015

Awkward situation, has two jobs. Main job (40+ a week). Was the main source of income paying for everything, bills, food, etc.

The second job was paying for all of my school and "hobbies".

I was layed off from the 2nd and I don't know if I will ever get it back?

The first one I still have, but my last day of work we as March 14. At home all these months and still getting paid. I consider that a blessing and am grateful. Went back to work for one day the week of JUNE (10). And then the week of the (17) also for one day.

But, went back (sorta) full time last week. (22-26), I'm working from. 11am to 4pm everyday and getting full 8 hour/40 hour pay. Again, very grateful.

Really want the other job back, Jonesing for Golden age books!!! 😵

Comment

• Spawn67
                              Career Member
                              • Aug 14, 2009

Ive been furloughed since March 20. I was supposed to go back at the beginning of June but with buisness being slow who knows when Ill be going back at this point. Im fortunate that me and my wife who's back to work don't have any kids and have enough to last us for quite sometime I know many aren't (me personally I learned my lesson in the 2008/2009 recession).
                              It feels strange not to be working after working for so many years but I hope to be back before long.
                              It was nice to have some time in the house but now Im anxious to return.
                              What makes it even worse is that I can't go on a vacation and everything is going day to day.
                              I miss when summers were fun and full of adventure.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎