Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

From a play value my original Kenner Death Star was played with a ton, trash compactor and trash monster included. I still have it and it was always a favorite, but it would be so costly today to make I think. I didn't know about the cardboard Palitoy version until much later and think that's a cool one too, and would be something they could produce fairly cheap I think.
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• ODBJBG
      Permanent Member
      • May 15, 2009

New playset looks great.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

Looks good. With several stormtroopers and rebel fleet troopers, it would make a great display/diorama.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Beating a dead horse, but RetroBlasting is cranky again. Oh boy is he cranky again.

I get his criticisms of Hasbro's Pulse, and even the whole idea of HasLab. The super-limited quantities of Pulse and a multi-billion dollar company like Hasbro asking you to crowd fund toys is all a bit perplexing, and for folks who really, REALLY want this stuff, very frustrating.

I don't appreciate that he infers if you buy any of these products you are some kind of mindless sheep who won't be able to sit at the smart kids' table.

I also get why he's perturbed that folks are singling him out and spreading rumors that he is secretly buying the stuff he's against.

BUT, he painted a huge target on his back with previous videos, where he came out swinging at not just the company, but their audience. So the audience is angry too.

I don't know how I would feel if I were Pixel Dan or Dan Larson from Toy Galaxy either. He kind of compliments them, but also infers that they are finally doing their civic duty, speaking out against "the machine", and that their resistance to do so in the past is some kind of public shame they should apologize for.

Man, he really needs a PR department.

And with everything else going on to worry about...why get so worked up about toys?

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

This feels....political.

Labeling is a dangerous practice because it shapes perception actually dismisses any viewpoint but your own. It causes divide, conflict and negativity.

I've seen it in Mego collecting sadly, the terms thrown around are "haters" and "Mego zombies"

People critical of choice, distribution, card art, etc can't be dismissed as "haters", they're mainly people frustrated and some are better than others at expressing disappointment, some people also just like to complain (which is ok) or say "they could do it better'. There are extreme cases where yeah, no matter what Mego or FTC does, they find a reason to hate it but you can usually see there is an agenda there or they're just miserable in general. The mass majority of these people aren't like that, they're people with opinions, that's all.

On the other side, people just happy to collect what Mego puts out aren't mindless "zombies' either, to say something like dismisses a lot of people who just don't fret about toys or are actually content with what's coming out. I buy what I like from who i like and hey, I don't buy everything Mego or FTC makes, there are a lot of guys like me.

Both labels are a bad idea and it horrifies me the thing that united us in the first place, can be used to divide. words are powerful.

*pushes away soap box, goes back to work.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

^He's definitely not taking the high road. I started watching the video feeling he was actually being pretty fair, despite being obviously angry, and starting off with name-calling. The name-calling increased, and by the end, well, the argument may be valid, but the vitriol he served it with leaves a really bad taste in my mouth...and I have no dogs in this fight. I tried to order that Snake-Eyes deluxe figure for my son again on Saturday, and it sold out instantly. I guess he won't get it, or I'll go to ebay if I deem it worth my money. End of story for me.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                ^He's definitely not taking the high road. I started watching the video feeling he was actually being pretty fair, despite being obviously angry, and starting off with name-calling. The name-calling increased, and by the end, well, the argument may be valid, but the vitriol he served it with leaves a really bad taste in my mouth...and I have no dogs in this fight. I tried to order that Snake-Eyes deluxe figure for my son again on Saturday, and it sold out instantly. I guess he won't get it, or I'll go to ebay if I deem it worth my money. End of story for me.
                I agree there is nothing wrong with not liking Hasbro Pulse and calling out the service for what it is to him. If he's giving voice to a contingent of people that don't want to give Hasbro money, they should see that they probably want to know the why.

It's the "collector-on-collector" thing that i find troubling, I know that when you put content out there, you do put a target on your back in some respects (trust me, I've entertained thoughts of doing videos like this) but it just makes me sad to go down this road.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, it's really ugly and troubling. A lot of it feels like righteous indignation on his part, ala "I'm trying to save you from this evil company! Why don't you heed my warnings!" Then he gets angry when he is either ignored or mocked for it, and makes another video.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• drquest
                    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                    • Apr 17, 2012

^Yeah, it's really ugly and troubling. A lot of it feels like righteous indignation on his part, ala "I'm trying to save you from this evil company! Why don't you heed my warnings!" Then he gets angry when he is either ignored or mocked for it, and makes another video.

Chris
                    And yet here we are watching the videos and complaining about it. It's all about subscribers and views. He seems to not care which side he alienates.
                    Danny(Drquest)
                    Captain Action HQ
                    Retro shirts and stuff
                    More retro shirts
                    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^I watched it out of "train wreck" curiosity. I skipped a lot of his recent angry videos, and was hopeful he had kind of left the acid behind. Not so much.

I'm probably not going to watch any other videos like this, because who needs this kind of additional discourse in their lives?

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

FWIW I didn't watch it, just read the feedback. I think Pulse opens itself up to criticism by charging it's customers to shop. It's fair game to express your disdain for that practice.

And yet here we are watching the videos and complaining about it.
                        Well, "Thing Bad" is everybodies fave on YouTube, that's the norm. "10 ten worst......" is your ticket to subscribers baby.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

FWIW I didn't watch it, just read the feedback. I think Pulse opens itself up to criticism by charging it's customers to shop. It's fair game to express your disdain for that practice.
                          I agree Pulse is kind of broken if it's so hard to get product from it, and having the $50 membership only guarantees free shipping, not guaranteed access to the offerings.

He makes some great points...it's the way he goes about them.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Beating a dead horse, but RetroBlasting is cranky again. Oh boy is he cranky again.
                            I take your word for it. Doesn't surprise me. Not going to watch the video. Stopped watching his vids quite a while ago. I don't have the time of patience for rage merchants trying to split people into angry factions over toys. It's not normal and it's not healthy.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• drquest
                              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                              • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy

Well, "Thing Bad" is everybodies fave on YouTube, that's the norm. "10 ten worst......" is your ticket to subscribers baby.
                              100% and to confirm I haven't watched this video either.
                              Danny(Drquest)
                              Captain Action HQ
                              Retro shirts and stuff
                              More retro shirts
                              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

I don't blame anyone for not watching it. I usually avoid them, but I guess I was just morbidly curious last night.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎