X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
    It seems totally fair to mention that this review is actually very well done, it's critical but states it's the case in a forthright manner.
    So he hated them but not with an all consuming rage directed at the figures and Hasbro?
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
      So he hated them but not with an all consuming rage directed at the figures and Hasbro?
      I got the vibe that he may begrudgingly like them.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
        I got the vibe that he may begrudgingly like them.
        Wowzers is he mellowing a smidge?
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Based on this recommendation, I may give this video a shot. I expected the usual vitriol, so it's nice to hear otherwise. I really do miss the vibe of his earlier videos. They were very informative and entertaining, and he was always pretty vocal about what he liked and what he didn't, but it never ventured into ranting in the early days.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            Based on this recommendation, I may give this video a shot. I expected the usual vitriol, so it's nice to hear otherwise. I really do miss the vibe of his earlier videos. They were very informative and entertaining, and he was always pretty vocal about what he liked and what he didn't, but it never ventured into ranting in the early days.
            He published another video which was a commentary about Hasbro's pulse and he had lots of critical things to say, I didn't finish it so maybe it ends weird but even that one seemed more like he was talking about other people's frustration with it because he's not actually a member himself. He also made a few points I felt inclined to agree with because he presented a solid argument.

I did get some valuable learning out of it realizing that every toy company gets this sort of static for their decisions. All too often I fixate on Mego or FTC, I don't buy any products from the other majors so i don't follow them. Seeing that Hasbro likely gets 10X this feedback made me realize you're always going to get this.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

Giving this a bump because it looks like Hasbro hasn't learned anything. They're doing it again with the Tantive IV play set.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

oooh. how exciting, a hallway playset,

Comment

• drquest
                  ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                  • Apr 17, 2012

Ah yes, the hallway.

https://hasbropulse.com/products/sta...ive-iv-hallway
                  Danny(Drquest)
                  Captain Action HQ
                  Retro shirts and stuff
                  More retro shirts
                  Stuff For Sale

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

I gotta disagree. I actually think the hallway is a pretty cool diorama of an iconic Star Wars scene. And unlike the carbon freezing chamber, one playset is perfectly sufficient to recreate the scene... so the interlocking playsets thing is truly a feature here and not a backhanded requirement to purchase multiple.

Comment

• RonnyG
                      Career Member
                      • Apr 23, 2014

Yikes! The MSRP for that hallway "playset" is $49.99. Times have changed. I remember I had the Sears exclusive Cantina playset as a kid, mainly because my Mother worked at Sears at the time. It was basically just a backdrop made out of cardboard, but it did come with 4 figures.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

next we'll get the cloud city dining room playset so you can reenact your favorite characters having dinner with Darth Vader.

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Let's be honest here we need to blame adult SW collectors this. Because they demand realism over fun. Something like a Kenner card board Cloud City playset and a wildly inaccurate Kenner Darth Vader Star Destroyer playset would now be met with howls of rage. That's why we get expensive hallways for playsets and a $150 Slave 1 and a $400 Millennium Falcon for vehicles. I miss the simple under scaled Kenner vehicles and playsets. They weren't in scale or have accurate movie details but they were fun, dammit.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

well said and very true. these things are not sold for kids to play with. what parent would spend that much for a boring playset for their kid to lose interest in 5 seconds after opening it

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 15, 2012

I clicked the link and saw the tantive hallway. First reaction was, that is a pretty accurate rendition of the hallway. That lasted for about 5 seconds and then the next thought was, what would I do with it? Honest answer...nothing. I am a vintage Star Wars collector. They never made the rebel soldiers. I could put Leia, C3PO, and R2D2 in there as a display. But why? The Freezing chamber takes up too much room and that scene without the background and orange lighted stairs is kind of boring.

What scenes do you think Hasbro should offer as play sets? The first one that comes to mind is the trash compactor.

Comment

• RonnyG
                                Career Member
                                • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by Myoldtoys
                                What scenes do you think Hasbro should offer as play sets? The first one that comes to mind is the trash compactor.
                                I would rather they re-release some of the classic old play sets instead of making those new boring ones. Apparently, Kenner did make a trash compactor (with foam garbage) as part of the Death Star Space Station play set back in the day. I never had that one, but I do remember making my own homemade trash compactor with a shoe box now that I think about it. That was a great scene in the movie.
                                DSCN1857.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎