X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    Too much vitriol over stuff that honestly doesn't matter, especially with all the real-world issues we're facing nowadays.
    I totally agree. Sadly I think some youtubers have decided rage gets them more views than toys or nostalgia.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Falstaff13
      Persistent Member
      • May 28, 2008

I agree that he's grown angrier, and I do think there are many videos that seem to go for this approach. I have found more or more times where a channel that seemed to have a tight, happier style is now both angrier and much looser ("turn on camera, start chatting"). Some who used really to structure their talks now aren't doing research.
      Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
      Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

This is still my favorite take on the Carbon Freezing Chamber:

Comment

• Goblin19
          Talkative Member
          • May 2, 2002

I’d probably buy that if you packaged it in a vintage box. It would be pretty damn funny.

Comment

• Palifan
            Museum Patron
            • Jan 18, 2016

[QUOTE=sprytel;1444706]This is still my favorite take on the Carbon Freezing Chamber:

I've not seen that ad before and that's pretty much how my play sets looked back in the day although it's missing toilet roll cardboard tubes and tin foil

Ian

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

Love those old Kenner commercials.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• mego
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 16, 2012

Originally posted by Palifan
                i have to agree also, I've enjoyed his videos for years but recently he just seems angry about everything and even when he does like something like the BSG Viper made to scale with the 3.75" figures, he still talks with a slight frown the whole time.

It's a shame as my son just watched his vid about his DeLorean ( my son has just discovered Back To The Future ), and he seemed a lot more relaxed back then. Maybe it's looking through all of the comments for him on the internet at various places (including this one lol).

Ian
                Oh man, Retroblasting was fun, but definitely not anymore!
                I stopped watching Michael too. Way too much of an angry downer.
                You’d think that a toy collector would find more joy in the hobby they pursue.
                That guy needs a hug and a hostess snack cake.

Comment

• Palifan
                  Museum Patron
                  • Jan 18, 2016

Originally posted by mego
                  That guy needs a hug and a hostess snack cake.

Lol!

I know I wouldn't have much to be upset about even if I had half of his collection.......in fact I'd be happy with just half the size of his display room to put my collection in

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

This playset looks nice. Depending on the price. I like the basic look of it, works well for other lines too then.

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      A video on toy discussion can be critical, but should still be a light, fluffy distraction, in my opinion.
                      Absolutely, if there is genuine anger in it, rethink your priorities in life.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
                        Absolutely, if there is genuine anger in it, rethink your priorities in life.
                        If you look at the comments, it looks like he has an audience for his angry videos. There are many 40 year-old people, who still buy toys, that add their own nasty comments. I would like to know what talents these folks have. They must be toy designers or movie directors or producers since they always know how things should be done.

If you don’t like something, just don’t buy it.
                        Last edited by Myoldtoys; Jun 28, '20, 8:22 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Myoldtoys
                          If you look at the comments, it looks like he has an audience for his angry videos. There are many 40 year-old people, who still buy toys, that add their own nasty comments. I would like to know what talents these folks have. They must be toy designers or movie directors or producers since they always know how things should be done.
                          Oh yeah, I see that with a lot of Mego videos on Youtube, a lot of armchair experts that can't read a balance sheet sure do think they can run a company.

I was watching one guy vent about how Mego is a failure because they're not in every store in his town. As he continued, I realized that he had zero clue how it all works, he had this childlike belief that stores just buy whatever product line they're offered. I've worked sales to mass retail all my professional career, getting a listing, getting shelf space is really hard work, it can take years to get established.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 28, 2008

Certainly, if you get validation for the anger, it's more likely to continue. I feel like RetroBlasting started changing when some of the YouTube regulations were coming in about channels. He did a video with some ranting in it about how his toy channel was about to be hit by some regulations, and that seemed to start the higher proportion of tirades. That timing coincides with the launch of Hasbro Pulse, and he's been opposed to it from the start. The sequel films themselves have gotten trashed (hardly unique to him, but he seems very empowered by that wave). I actually did go and listen to his review of this chamber just to see, and in it he suggested he preferred the HasLab idea to this--since I remember his Jabba's Barge video, that's not 100% true, but he's definitely full of venom. In this one, some of his anger seemed partly to launch from people messaging him to get his response to this product, so I think there's a cycle built in. Oh, and he includes a snipe at the end about "if you say I should lighten up, and these are toys, NO--this video is for toy collectors." Guess if you get that label you trade your sense of fun in for one of your grails?
                            Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                            Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

You make some fair points, especially that people want to see this sort of thing and ask him to do it. If that's what the people want.

To be fair, I've seen the dude do plenty of videos where he appears quite likable and chill but he certainly does have an edge.

Most of this stuff flies over my head, I don't collect Star Wars, have no concept of how Hasbro is handling the brand, have never visited Pulse. I'm watching this stuff mainly out of curiosity and I do read the odd FB forum post in that one group because it's stripped of any vitriol.

My only window into this world is my son, who collects Clone Troopers, Hasbro doesn't seem to make anything he or his friends want, which is curious because he's an 18-year-old kid with disposable income, who has more years of collecting in him.

Oh, and he includes a snipe at the end about "if you say I should lighten up, and these are toys, NO--this video is for toy collectors." Guess if you get that label you trade your sense of fun in for one of your grails?
                              Well, it's a lot better than his "Stop being a wimp" from an earlier video, that was dripping in irony but I'm with you, I don't like it? I don't buy it.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

^I could do a podcast or video series of how I really hate McFarlane devoting a whole wave of figures to the DC Metal stuff which I think just looks ridiculous (full disclosure, I haven't tried to read it). But you know what? I just won't buy it.

Michael has a forum and can certainly do whatever he wants, but I definitely don't enjoy the new "Sith" version of RetroBlasting, where he has given into his anger. It made have made him more powerful, with more views, but it's a whole lot less enjoyable for me, personally.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎