X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

R.I.P. Joel Shumacher

The filmmaker, known for the Batman films, Lost Boys, St. Elmo's Fire and others passed away this weekend at 80 after a long battle with cancer.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

To be 100% honest, "Batman & Robin" (1997) is my favorite Batman movie

RIP

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

wow, I had no idea he was ill. RIP!

Batman Forever is my favorite of movies from that era. it had the right amount of camp and seriousness. I though B & R took the camp too far

Comment

• filmation batman fan
        The Man of Many Voices
        • Aug 30, 2005

Sorry. I didn't see this post. I just posted this in the Comic Book forum. While I didn't like the Bat Nipples and the Crotch and Butt shots suiting up, not to mention Elliot Goldenthal's stinky music score, I love Batman Forever. And I respect Joel Schumacher for introducing Robin and bringing him, the Riddler and Two Face to the big screen. R.I.P.

Comment

• great_chandel
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2, 2015

I absolutely LOVED "The Lost Boys" and "The Client." Of all the autographs I have gotten through the mail through out so many years, I cannot believe I never wrote to him! I cannot write to everyone I guess...….great director!!!

Comment

• toyhunter1970
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 24, 2020

I just heard RIP Falling Down was of the best one of most underrated films ever

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

He was an incredibly talented man who made one very bad call and it haunted the image of his career forever.

Falling Down, St Elmo's Fire, Flatliners...the man wrote Car Wash for goodness sake. That's without getting into the fashion background and the 70's. Amazing.

The real problem with his Batman movies is he never kept his story straight as to why he did what he did. Most of us thought he got the job because of Falling Down and Flatliners. But he actually blamed his nephew, saying he told him to take the job and make it like the tv show. Then he said the producers told him to do the opposite of Burton. Then years later, he said he wanted to remake the tv show because that was the most familiar to people and he loved the camp. During all of this, he and Clooney were trying to get the greenlight to make Dark Knight Returns. Just a mess.

He lived a hell of a life.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

An accomplished and talented guy, he made a lot of great movies and seemed like a character.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

One thing that always rubbed me the wrong way about Batman and Robin ….

People called Alicia Silverstone, "Fatgirl"

Seriously ?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I have complicated feelings about his Batman films, but at the end of the day, they are what they are. There are elements of Batman Forever that are some of my favorite from any screen adaptation.

And clearly, the man was very talented, and directed many great films. It's kind of a shame he was put in "movie jail" all these years for B&R. I know he had some success afterwards, but a lot of his earlier work is eclipsed by the perceived stink of that film, even though it was actually financially successful.

RIP.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by hedrap

He lived a hell of a life.
                      That's for sure, apparently he claimed to have had sex with about 20,000 men. Even at 80 years old, the math is mind boggling, but good for him.

Anyone who directed films like The Lost Boys and Falling Down is talented in my book, we'll overlook the Batman films. RIP Joel.

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        I have complicated feelings about his Batman films, but at the end of the day, they are what they are. There are elements of Batman Forever that are some of my favorite from any screen adaptation.

And clearly, the man was very talented, and directed many great films. It's kind of a shame he was put in "movie jail" all these years for B&R. I know he had some success afterwards, but a lot of his earlier work is eclipsed by the perceived stink of that film, even though it was actually financially successful.

RIP.

Chris
                        As a pure comic book fantasy film it's unbelievably fun and entertaining. Most of the hate towards it comes from the "enlightened" Batman fans of the Frank Miller era who take a guy dressing up in a bat costume (and themselves) waaaay too seriously.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎