Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apenutncc1701
    • Aug 9, 2009

Tarzan/Robin question

So, I don't know if anyone else has thought of this, but I find it ironic that in the 60's Batman t.v. show, Robin wore flesh colored tights, but the Mego robin doesn't and that I don't recall Tarzan ever wearing a full body suit under his loin cloth, but Mego's does. So what's the deal? Mego lets Robin show off his boy wonder legs, but Tarzan can't show off his jungle physique? Thoughts?
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Oh yeah. That's up there, but Tarzan was a hodge-podge of a figure. He got a full bodysuit and a jungle singlet when he's actually nekkid save for a loincloth. Then for Conan they stripped him down.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^I always assumed that it was because the Type 1 Mego body had the somewhat unsightly metal rivets, and the almost naked Tarzan would have really shown those off, so Mego opted to cover them up, and give the buyer more bang for their buck in the costuming department, thus adding the body stocking. Robin already had the complicated three material tunic/sleeves/cape combination, plus his trunks, so maybe that's why he didn't get leggings/under suit.

By the time Mego got around to Conan, they had the superior-looking Type 2 body, so they didn't mind showing it off as much, plus Conan came with a lot more accessories, so adding a body suit would have upped their costs.

Just random thoughts that are in my head canon only, not fact. Just conjecture.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• knight errant00
        8 Inch Action Figure
        • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        ^I always assumed that it was because the Type 1 Mego body had the somewhat unsightly metal rivets, and the almost naked Tarzan would have really shown those off, so Mego opted to cover them up, and give the buyer more bang for their buck in the costuming department, thus adding the body stocking. Robin already had the complicated three material tunic/sleeves/cape combination, plus his trunks, so maybe that's why he didn't get leggings/under suit.

By the time Mego got around to Conan, they had the superior-looking Type 2 body, so they didn't mind showing it off as much, plus Conan came with a lot more accessories, so adding a body suit would have upped their costs.Chris
        ^^Exactly how I've always figured it as well.

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

^I think that's all correct, Chris. It's just shows how haphazard toy production was compared to today.

Comment

• phil
            Persistent Member
            • May 11, 2007

In some of the Silent Tarzan movies he's dressed like the MEGO figure.

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Yes, Tarzan got the flesh color bodysuit because of the type-1 metal joints, it would have looked odd.

I guess when the type-2 bodies were made Tarzan technically could have dropped the bodysuit and just gone with the over the shoulder leopard trunks like the Elmo Lincoln silent movie version,(mentioned by Phil) but today that’s an easy fix.

When I was a kid, I loved Tarzan mego and got it on both the Kresge card and window box, but remember he didn’t match the card art, which was a yellow loincloth with leopard spots, but I do like the classic tv toys leopard tights, good for customs.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎