Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Some advice about POTH Apes boots (from CTVT)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anim8ortim
    • May 24, 2020

Need Some advice about POTH Apes boots (from CTVT)

Hey Everyone!

I've been trying to restore a 1974 Mego General Urko /Ursus and bought some General Ape Planet of the Apes boots from CTVT. The problem I'm having is that the feet won't fit all the way in, so the feet are pointing down but won't fit into the shoe portion of the boot. The legs are kind of fragile, since on one of the knees I had to replace the knee pin. Does anyone have a strategy for getting the feet into the boots? I was thinking of maybe using a hair dryer to warm up the boots? Any advice would be great!

Thanks!
    Last edited by anim8ortim; Jun 17, '20, 7:10 PM.
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

^^ It's a known issue… they look good, but are cranky to get on.

I soaked the hell out of them in very hot water and worked them on, cursing FTC/CTVT along the way. Did have one split from the pressure in eight boots. They will go back into shape despite looking stretched when pushing over/past the heel.

Comment

• JediJaida
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 14, 2008

Heat up the boot either with a hair dryer or with hot water.
      JediJaida

Comment

• anim8ortim
        • May 24, 2020

Thanks I will try those, first the hair dryer since I really don't want to get the purple tights wet.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I almost always use hot water to soften plastics. A quick exterior wipe and some Q-tippage to interior spaces to dry and stuff is go to go.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• apes3978
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 19, 2005

I've yet to buy any of those CTVT Apes boots, but have a question now that the topic is brought up:

anim8ortim is trying to restore an original Mego Urko/Ursus... I'm assuming the figure in question is on a T-2 body (although I know there's quite a few of the Generals out in the world on T-1 bodies too). That said, I know the original Mego T-2 body is a little larger than the bodies CTVT uses, and I'm under the assumption that the stuff CTVT sells is scaled to fit their slightly smaller body style.

That said, are their Apes boots trouble all around? By that I mean are they a pain in the *** to put on any figure, or do they work a little better on the CTVT bodies?

Comment

• Confessional
              Maker & Whatnot
              • Aug 8, 2012

^^ The Gorilla and Zira-style boots are poorly sculpted/scaled for all the figures/parts I use, which is pretty much anything except FTC/CTVT. Perhaps they do fit better on their own product?, but I have my doubts especially when using tights with them. The Zaius-style boots are the easiest to place as they are closer to the originals.

Comment

• phil
                Persistent Member
                • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by Confessional
                ^^ The Gorilla and Zira-style boots are poorly sculpted/scaled for all the figures/parts I use, which is pretty much anything except FTC/CTVT. Perhaps they do fit better on their own product?, but I have my doubts especially when using tights with them. The Zaius-style boots are the easiest to place as they are closer to the originals.
                Is that the Zaius boots with the markings on them?

Comment

• Confessional
                  Maker & Whatnot
                  • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Yes: http://www.classictvtoys.com/maleape...chfigures.aspx

Comment

• phil
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by Confessional
                    Thank you!

Comment

• scott metzger
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 9, 2007

Definitely heat the boots up before trying to get them on. A hair dryer should work, even getting them on a regular Mego. I don't think they've been sitting in the hot warehouse long enough to get brittle at this time.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎