X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

Lost DC Movie?

Watching Johnny Carson on Antenna TV and Arnold Schwarzenegger is talking about doing Red Heat and Twins and how he is filming a WW2 movie for Warner Brothers called Sgt Rock. Was this ever made? I never heard of a Sgt Rock movie...
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah. It was a thing, I remember reading about how they were going to explain his Austrian accent. I worked in a comic store at the time, I regaled customers with my impersonation.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Ugh. He was seriously considered for a Doc Savage reboot, too at one point. Thank God neither were made.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

i think he would have been good for Sgt Rock. but admittedly have never read a single Rock comic

Comment

• Falstaff13
          Persistent Member
          • May 28, 2008

In the days of Comics Scene magazine, the "On the Comics Screen" feature would list productions that were announced, "in development" (and thus normally never made), and filming. Sgt. Rock was named repeatedly as one of the next to be coming out, and certainly having Schwarzenegger named helped keep the buzz going for a while.
          Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
          Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• monitor_ep
            Talkative Member
            • May 11, 2013

DC COMICS IN THE MEDIA JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA IN THE MEDIA G.I. COMBAT IN THE MEDIA IGN Filmforce has a script review of the screenplay written by Brian Helgeland (LA Confidential) so here it is........ The making of this film seems contingent on who is cast in the title role. Apparently, Stallone was never really under any serious consideration for the part but Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis were. Both stars have gone on to develop their own pet WWII movies; Arnold has With Wings as

I have the official button of the Arnold Schwarzenegger/Sgt. Rock in my collection. I remember getting it from a comic book store in California. Once I read what they had done to the script I am glad it did not get made.
            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• powersthatbe
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 27, 2010

I had that clip Arnold mentioned on a vhs tape.Bruce Willis was also I think on tsp to play the sarge.

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Joel Silver had the rights, along with Watchmen, Wonder Woman, Swamp Thing and a few others. He had Shane Black do the initial pitch to Arnold on the set of Predator. That's why in the end credits of Predator, Black's shot shows him reading an issue of Rock. They also pitched him Dr Manhattan, which in retrospect would have been the greatest miscasting of all time.

Silver was the equivalent of a squatter when it comes to DC. He hit big with Lethal Weapon and Predator in 87 so WB would do whatever he wanted. Moore and Miller had exploded DC's sales so someone (Mark Canton maybe) decided to pair the two. The way rights were split up between production companies within WB was apparently idiotic even at the time and set them back almost twenty years.

As crazy as it seems, the results of those decisions is what lead to the Snyderverse. If it wasn't for Michael Uslan, Batman would have been sold off to an 80's shingle like Silver and toiled in development well into the 90s.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎