X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Flash actor Hartley Sawyer fired from The Flash

When will these actors learn to keep their inappropriate thoughts (meant to be funny or otherwise) to themselves?

Actor Hartley Sawyer has been fired from 'The Flash' after a host of his tweets containing misogynist and racist references were surfaced in the past week.

And the subject makes it sound like he plays the Flash. I know he plays Ralph (Elongated Man) Dibny. I confused myself while typing, I guess.

Chris
    sigpic
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Dumbass.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      When will these actors learn to keep their inappropriate thoughts (meant to be funny or otherwise) to themselves?
      Maybe shortly after they learn that these thoughts are wrong and inappropriate to have.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

I'm sorry, but being fired from your job for making an off color joke eight years ago is BS.
        We've ALL said or thought something that would be considered racist at some point in our lives. Anyone who says they haven't is full of it.

The guy will probably be blacklisted now and not even be able to find work. That's ridiculous. He should be able to apologize and get on with his life.

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

I'm conflicted...

On the one hand, I agree with you. I think that people should have the ability to learn from their mistakes, grow, and ultimately be forgiven. Without the opportunity for forgiveness, he really has no incentive to change for the better.

On the other hand, we live in a country where you have the right to free speech, You do not have the right to star in a superhero television program. Moreover, these weren't "said or thought"... they were published on the internet for the public to see. I think it is fair for the public to hold him accountable for what he said. Without consequence, there is really no incentive for change either.

Comment

• powersthatbe
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 27, 2010

It's a shame and they just introduced Sue to the show. but it is what it is considering the times we're in. He really looked like Elongated Man from the comics too.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
              I'm sorry, but being fired from your job for making an off color joke eight years ago is BS.
              We've ALL said or thought something that would be considered racist at some point in our lives. Anyone who says they haven't is full of it.

The guy will probably be blacklisted now and not even be able to find work. That's ridiculous. He should be able to apologize and get on with his life.
              I agree!

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by sprytel
                I'm conflicted...

On the one hand, I agree with you. I think that people should have the ability to learn from their mistakes, grow, and ultimately be forgiven. Without the opportunity for forgiveness, he really has no incentive to change for the better.

On the other hand, we live in a country where you have the right to free speech, You do not have the right to star in a superhero television program. Moreover, these weren't "said or thought"... they were published on the internet for the public to see. I think it is fair for the public to hold him accountable for what he said. Without consequence, there is really no incentive for change either.
                Yeah, I'm with you on being torn.

I read all the stuff he wrote and well, I view it as a lame attempt at shock humour and that doesn't translate well when it's written. The guy is seriously not funny but that's not a crime.

However TV is a business and he's alienated the core audience for the show (which ain't us), so the showrunners removed him to quell them. If I tweeted disturbing jokes about killing old people and I worked at a long term care facility, I'd probably lose my job too.

I don't watch the Flash anymore, so this running doesn't have an effect on my life.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

so what should the statute of limitations be on being an idiot and recording it?
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

Meh, I put this with James Gunn. This was NOT him saying nasty and vile things. It was him making some awful off color jokes (though a few were funny) many years ago. I'm all for "canceling" scumbags, but this really doesn't look like one. I have no idea who he is and don't watch Flash, but I hate to see people like this get trampled up in something, when there's tons of legit awful loudmouths who need to be silenced.

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      so what should the statute of limitations be on being an idiot and recording it?
                      I dunno...you tell me. More importantly, WHY are we holding an actor on a TV show to a higher standard than some other people.
                      There's this one racist jerk in Washington who tweets and says way worse stuff on a daily basis, and he still has his job.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

totally agree. once again this country takes things way too far. he is being made an example of, plain and simple. how about next they ban all comedians, because there isn't a single one, black or white, who has not made off color, even racist jokes at some time in their career

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Well his referendum is in November. Some goofball actor or sports guy can be held accountable more easily than elected clowns. I really don’t feel sorry for someone made responsible for what he or she said or wrote. Even if they claim it was in jest the underlying thought is there.

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                            Well his referendum is in November. Some goofball actor or sports guy can be held accountable more easily than elected clowns. I really don’t feel sorry for someone made responsible for what he or she said or wrote. Even if they claim it was in jest the underlying thought is there.
                            Well, remember that because like I said...we've ALL done it...and that includes you. Someday it might be YOU on the receiving end.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 11, 2013

What bothers me is these were out there WAY before The flash started and before he got his roll. So why didn't the studio do a proper background check on him?
                              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎