X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Can Can

I think "beer can collecting" may top the list of "70s kid hobbies that won't make a comeback" I'd put my money on flocking bottles before this.

now if you'll excuse I'm going to try and track down some "big Cat Malt Liquor", I pray they still make it.

We're publishing a Toy-Ventures Magazine this Summer, here's a link on how to be kept in the loop: https://plaidstallions.com/reboot/magazine/

Like Mego Knock-Offs? Join our Facebook group dedicated today, it's an intimate group that focuses just on vintage toys: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Megoknockoff/

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

Beer can collecting for 8 year olds?
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

I never got the idea of beer can collecting for kids.

"Sure you could have a new Barbie for your birthday or, and hear me out, you could have these old beer cans I found on the side of the highway. Pretty nice, huh?"
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ToyTalk
        Career Member
        • Mar 25, 2020

My favorite toy was always the wood engraver with less than a 6" Cord on it.
        Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

No Rheingold ???

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

I don't recall collecting beer cans as a kid, but I do remember a very brief period of collecting beer bottle caps. I have no idea why.

Comment

• J.B.
              Guild Navigator
              • Jun 23, 2010

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

My step father at the time (my mother divorced him within 2 years) worked for Shasta, travelling to supermarkets and the such to make sure Shasta products had good display locations. He also would give stores promotion signs. He was constantly trading Shasta signs with other beverage guys, mostly beer reps. He always gave them to 6th grade me. My entire room was covered in some really beer signs. Eve then, I used to wonder if I should have that Rolling Rock sign or Schlitz clock. That said, some of them were really cool. There was a Rolling Rock sign that lit up in way that made the stream water look like it was flowing towards you. I wish I still had some of them.
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• tay666
                  Career Member
                  • Dec 27, 2008

This brings back some really fond memories for me.
                  I used to have a really big beer can collection. At least a couple hundred cans.
                  Can't remember exactly how old I was when I started, but it was elementary school. Thinking I was around 10. One of my friends at school had a collection, I thought it was a great idea, so I started one too.
                  I used to bring a bag with me when I would go for walks, or ride my bike. Used to find all kinds of cool cans in the ditches in the area. Then I got together with some other friends, and we used to go traipsing through the woods looking for old dump sites to find old cans. We even uncovered some old flat top cans a few times. (the kind that required an opener to punch holes in the top). I had a couple collecting books and price guides too.
                  We used to trade them at school (along with comic books, and trading cards) No teacher ever batted an eye at an elementary school student bringing empty beer cans to school.
                  The 70's really was a different time.
                  There was even one store in town that used to have collectible beer. It was some cheap beer packaged in fancy cans just for collectors. I used to talk my dad into buying some every now and then so I could have the cans.
                  And my mom used to have to go to the drug store to buy oxalic acid for me to use to soak my old cans in to remove the rust.

Sadly, when we moved, the whole collection got left behind :(
                  I really wasn't collecting anymore and didn't feel like packing them all up, and moving them. And mom didn't want to store them either, so . . .

EDIT - I checked, I was around 10. Because Billy Beer came out in 77 and that was right around the height of my collecting days.

Comment

• tay666
                    Career Member
                    • Dec 27, 2008

Oh yeah. 10 years later, I had a completely different beer can collection :D
                    beerwall.JPG

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

Around here they wouldn't last. Most kids would turn them in for the nickle deposit.

Comment

• tay666
                        Career Member
                        • Dec 27, 2008

Today I work I realized what got me started on the beer can collecting.
                        7 Up
                        Remember in 76 when they had all those cans with the different states to celebrate the bicentennial?
                        If you collected them all, they formed an image of Uncle Sam.
                        Pretty sure that is what started me on can collecting. And since other than that, pop cans were boring, it just morphed into beer can collecting.

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
                          Career Member
                          • May 14, 2007

We collected beer and pop cans in exchange for recycling money. I remember one time when my younger sister and I were staying at my grandma's when we went to an old covered bridge out in the middle of nowhere. She said that place was where the local teens partied and they always left their beer cans. Sure enough we found enough to fill about three bags. I think we ended up turning them in for about five bucks. The only beer cans I ever collected was the one with John Wayne. I've also have a few empty bottles of Elvira's Night Brew.
                          Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎