X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

5 Awesome Things on eBay this week

GLJ Bendy Godzilla- I stand by this, that is the greatest toy packaging I have ever seen. Look at how much work went into that.

Knock off of Mego Doctor Zaius- It's well known that I'm fond of knock offs, heck I even have a facebook group devoted to them and well, these Apes are the apple of my eye. This one is a bit pricey but it's also the first time I've seen Zaius before. It's weird that a terribly made copy of the original is the more expensive, it's a sickness I tells ya!

The Sunshine Family Coloring Book- I have been pretty open about how this toy line gave me the creeps as a kid but now I'd love to see the weirdness inside this book.

Evel Knievel's Golf Clubs- I'm not much of a golfer but these look exactly like i expected they would.

Walt Disney's the Black Hole Computer game- I had no idea that such a thing existed, sure it doesn't say "The Black Hole" but the box has VINCent and the ships on it. Sadly, it's an educational game by Radio Shack, so I'll live without it.

SHAMELESS PLUG

I'm selling an autographed set of custom action figures from the Canadian TV classic "Hilarious House of Frightenstein". This set is autographed by series co-creator and star Mitch Markowitz. I plan to use the proceeds to make more custom action figures. Thanks for looking!

We're publishing a Toy-Ventures Magazine this Summer, here's a link on how to be kept in the loop: https://plaidstallions.com/reboot/magazine/

Like Mego Knock-Offs? Join our Facebook group dedicated today, it's an intimate group that focuses just on vintage toys: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Megoknockoff/

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

The Mercado-Apes are killer and he does have a few of the harder to find variants, but as rare as they are the prices are silly. These can found for much less if you hunt patiently.

The seller was nice to converse with but his best-offer-price (which he kindly divulged) combined with wacky shipping, just put them out of anything within reason or I would have already bought a few.

I'm hoping that the lack of a crazed buyer will bring these back around over time.

Oh, and I still have my bendy-G, still love him too, but damn the packaging (which I had no memory of) is super fantastic!
    Last edited by Confessional; Jun 4, '20, 10:29 PM. Reason: …a steady hand brings the fruits of the harvest!

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Confessional
      The Mercado-Apes are killer and he does have a few of the harder to find variants, but as rare as they are the prices are silly. These can found for much less if you hunt patiently.

The seller was nice to converse with but his best-offer-price (which he kindly divulged) combined with wacky shipping, just put them out of anything within reason or I would have already bought a few.

I'm hoping that the lack of a crazed buyer will bring these back around over time.

Oh, and I still have my bendy-G, still love him too, but damn the packaging (which I had no memory of) is super fantastic!
      I've had the Urko in this "Series" for decades but I swore I got it from South America, not Mexico. I've never actually seen others before.

Posted this merely as a curio though, that price isn't realistic at all.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

^^ I now have many, but it's taken years (with the amazing help and knowledge of other collectors and some real-deal-loco toy hunters out there) to find them… produced in Mexico by all accounts gathered, and some have traveled through Central America and into South America over time.

I even found a listing years ago for huge batch of them in El Salvador of all places, but couldn't put a transaction together… probably a once-in-lifetime lost opportunity, something like 200 figures in big ratty cardboard box, and another full of random parts, clothes, who knows what. At some point I tried to contact the guy again who was using some kind of internet-cafe-dealio to sell/communicate, and he replied with "fire no" and that was that.

I've mentioned before… three different lines of these with a range of quality over time. Initially cheaper alternatives to the then-expensive-CIPSA Apes (and LL superheros), and knocked-off a couple more times well into the late 80's/early 90's (the late runs include a whole bunch of random pop-culture figures which you've seen) sold throughout shops and markets. Toys of the working class… Mexi-rack-toys!

Some have crude hand cut/sewn outfits while others are factory tailored as seen on Zaius above. It's always been interesting to me that the (perceived) history of Mexican pop culture toys has a direct connection to Mego, and once those factories started pouring plastic, the bootleg/KO/oddball offerings exploded and have continued into the 21st Century. This stuff is so worthy of a coffee table book to tell the whole story with a 1000 glorious photos!

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

I should clarify that I'm super familiar with the "Street" toys of the heroes, Apes and others, had oodles of them from 20 years ago. I was speaking to this specific versions with the outfits and bodies just trying to copy Mego. Mind you, I haven't been actively searching either, I've still got "real" Apes gaps.

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

Yeah, I know you're dialed in already.

Three of these aren't often seen… Zauis, any Ape with the General's studded-collared-tunic, and the rarest of all… Zira. She's an Addar with a brown T1 re-cast… that's the gem!

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, they're cool and if they were cheaper i probably wouldn't be able to resist but these are boxed figure prices. I'll settle for my cross eyed General Urko.

Comment

• Confessional
                Maker & Whatnot
                • Aug 8, 2012

^^ I think he's $200 – $400 over boxed prices on these. While truly *rare* there are so few of us who actually appreciate and hunt these… which is good/fun/interesting, but when a find like these emerges, it does hurt a little.

… maybe I can take a pic to cheer us up!

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

That bendy Godzilla is wicked. Had one when I was little. Surprisingly fragile. Great fun while he lasted and yeah the card art is insanely good.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

I didn't know that Disney made games for the Trash-80, cool!

And I'm once again kicking myself for not buying that Godzilla at the toy show way back when I had a chance.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

had that Godzilla, the comics logo drew me right to it when I was a lad.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

I had Godzilla too, along with the King Kong bendy, many a battle took place between those two until the wires popped out.

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by TrekStar
                          I had Godzilla too, along with the King Kong bendy, many a battle took place between those two until the wires popped out.
                          Wonderful kid friendly sculpt on the Godzilla. I loved that thing. But the wires in it would insta-break with even the most gentlest of play.
                          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• tay666
                            Career Member
                            • Dec 27, 2008

Very cool Godzilla.

Wish I had any money to even consider those HHOF figures. They look great!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎