X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
    Turnabout Intruder is by far the worst episode of the entire run. I can't even sit through that one
    Turnabout Intruder is horrible, no doubt. But lest we forget... I remind you of the hot garbage that is The Empath.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I love Gem's perfomance in The Empath. Otherwise the episode is sadistic and largely pointless.

Seems we're discussing a lot of season 3 episodes, hmmm...
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

I heard that season 3 was done because of fan mail asking the network not to cancel the series, and Lucille Ball half owner of desilu wanted it to continue for another season as well, it was in fact a 5 year mission.

I think season 3 would have been more successful if they brought back more characters like Klingons, Romulans, Harry Mudd this time with his wife Stella, maybe another episode with tribbles, or a return to some planet they had already visited to see how it progressed but finding things worse, like a continuation of the episode
        “ a Piece of the Action”

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

the show was saved from cancelation by a write in campaign. Rodenberry was not much involved in S3 though

I believe there was a third episode planned for Mudd but the actor wasn't available or something

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Roger C. Carmel supposedly had some drug abuse problems and had in fact been kicked from The Mothers-in-Law, also a Desilu production.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Roddenberry pledged to NBC he would more involved in Season 3 if they would renew t it. Gene Coon had left, and John Meridyth Lucas wasn't as strong a creative force to steer the ship, and also, he was leaving. NBC agreed, but then buried Trek in the Friday night 10:00 PM time slot, the graveyard for shows that appealed to young viewers. Roddenberry asked them to move the show, and they wouldn't. So he essentially walked even further away from the day-to-day production. Fred Freiberger took over, and he gets most of the blame, but I'm not sure that's fair. Roddenberry further distanced himself from the cast when he asked them to hawk his Lincoln Enterprises merchandise, and rewrote the IDIC medallion into "Is There In Truth No Beauty". Shatner refused to hawk it, so it was rewritten from some kind of Starfleet medal to a Vulcan thing. Nimoy hated it too, but by that point he had given up trying to defend his character, especially after his protests over "Spock's Brain" (written by Gene Coon!) had fallen on deaf ears.

Oddly enough, not long after Trek was cancelled, networks discovered "demographics" and found Star Trek was a HUGE hit with the audience they really wanted. But it was too late.

I highly recommend the "These Are The Voyages" series of books by Mark Cushman. The most fair and balanced account of Trek's production I have ever read.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

From what I have heard over the years was Roddenberry was a weird guy. Definitely had some issues.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^He was definitely a complex fellow. I think he was somewhat of a "walking contradiction", a term used to also describe Johnny Cash. Roddenberry had lofty ideals that he often didn't apply to his everyday life, for one.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                    I believe there was a third episode planned for Mudd but the actor wasn't available or something
                    I had heard that for Trouble with Tribbles... not sure if it is true or just fan conjecture based on Mudd and Cyrano Jones being such similar characters.

And actually, I think The Animated Series' More Tribbles, More Troubles was originally intended for the third season but didn't get made for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎