X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Allie Fox
    How many folks called it Who Mourns for ADONIS rather than Adonias?
    I still say ADONIS to this day

Also is it Charlie X as in the letter ? … or X as in Roman numerals "10" ?

Also, to this day I've never heard the word Catspaw used in anything other than Star Trek

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I never understood the "Catspaw" title until many years later and only recently decided it referred to Korob and not Kirk.

That bookshelf is lovely.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by enyawd72
        Yes! Thank you. That was bugging the crap out of me.
        The rock creatures name was Yarnek. I would love to do a custom of him.

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

The one where Kirk body swaps with the female doctor ex girlfriend was called, (Turnabout Intruder), the last episode of the series.

The Gary Seven episode was called, (Assignment Earth)
          Last edited by TrekStar; Jun 3, '20, 8:48 PM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

Turnabout Intruder is by far the worst episode of the entire run. I can't even sit through that one

Comment

• LardLad
              Museum Patron
              • Mar 13, 2012

Agreed on Turnabout Intruder, I have a hard time sitting through that one. Worse than 'Spock's Brain'.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I disagree, the worst episode to me is "The Lazarus Affair", from the very first season. The script was hacked to death due to a jettisoned interracial love affair, and the episode was further sabotaged by John Drew Barrymore, who was originally cast as Lazarus being so stinking drunk and uncooperative they had to quickly recast. It's a mess.

The only other classic Trek episode I truly consider "bad" is "And the Children Shall Lead" with that horrible "acting" job by super-attorney Melvin Beli. It's touches on some very ugly dark story elements, and just hand waves them away by the end as well.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

"And the Children Shall Lead"

They never said how the parents died but kinda implied it was the Gorgon with the kid's blessing after they were possessed.

Maybe the parents killed each other while under his spell ?

This seems unlikely considering the Gorgon's power seemed limited -- see his illusions with Sulu and Uhura

This would leave the kids (under the Gorgon's influence) directly killed their own parents.

THAT they should have shown in the flashback recordings -- would have made the episode tolerable

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^I always assumed the kids DID kill their parents...which is why the episode doesn't work. Sure they kids would be upset because they are orphans, but if they KILLED their parents...they are screwed for life. Too dark for the way its handled.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by LardLad
                      Worse than 'Spock's Brain'.
                      That episode is at least entertaining.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                        Turnabout Intruder is by far the worst episode of the entire run. I can't even sit through that one
                        Agreed on Turnabout Intruder. Worst episode of the entire series.
                        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Turnabout Intruder is a difficult episode. It has that uneven writing characteristic of Season 3, but Sandra Smith underplays and IMO is good in it. Shat is in over his head in something that needed subtlety. I think the episode was trying to say something about mental illness and self-hatred but it got conflated into a general condemnation of feminism that curdles the whole episode. The script is just not sophisticated enough to avoid seeming dismissive and terribly sexist. I've watched it closely several times and feel differently about it each time. I don't consider it the worst, though. Dr. Coleman is interesting to me, he disappears midway but reappears at the end and the episode touches on some sexual themes not considered again until Next Gen. I think it's interesting to compare this episode with the awful Nora Clavicle Batman episode. One reviewer considered Clavicle a sharp satire (of what? Feminism or men's reaction to it? IDK, I don't get it) but to me it's a mess featuring a slumming Barbara rush from ABC's Peyton Place.

Spock's Brain is bad but only terrible in the way that almost every episode of Lost in Space is terrible. It's schlocky and just not very good Trek.

I'm with Chris in disliking The Lazarus Affair and And the Children Shall Lead. Messy, meandering episodes. ATCSL is full of missed opportunities, some stuff was cut and some dropped for budgetary reasons. Belli is a bore. Could have been really creepy and engaging.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Spock's Brain and Space Hippies are absolutely terrible but can still be enjoyed on some level because of the unintentional camp. And the Children Shall Lead is terrible but could have been good. It's a missed opportunity that was just so poorly done. Turnabout Intruder is an ugly mess. One of the times Shatner's overacting actually makes it worse. There's no saving it and nothing enjoyable about it even on a camp level.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

yeah, I agree about Shatner overacting in TI. I used to hate "And the children shall lead" too but I rewatched the whole series last year and really that episode, although not great, did not bother me too much. I actually love the space hippies. it's campy fun, goofy as hell but still fun

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

I don't disagree with any of that, I just find elements of it interesting--not enjoyable or redeemable. I'm not willing to dismiss it out-of-hand as "The Worst." It's not easy to reconcile the Roddenberry who wanted unisex uniforms and a female Number One with the one who provided the story for Turnabout Intruder and established Chapel as a character.

Next Gen had its blunders, too--Code of Honor or Angel One, anyone? Or the cop-out of The Outcast.

To me the space hippies are not awful, just in that Lost in Space mode.
                                Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 4, '20, 7:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎