Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unproduced vintage Kenner Star Wars figure?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Unproduced vintage Kenner Star Wars figure?

I have long held a suspicion about this and thanks to a photo from Plaid Stallions I now believe I have the proof.
    In Kenner's 1990 Swamp Thing line there is a playset called the Transducer that comes with a Mutated Insect figure,
    which doesn't really fit in with the other figures in scale or sculpting style. It appears to be from a different line.

I began to suspect it was originally intended to be the Mantis Alien from the Star Wars cantina scene as part of series two
    but was scrapped due to being too expensive and possibly inaccurate, like blue Snaggletooth. . Then today I saw this photo from Plaid Stallions showing the
    vintage Kenner prototypes from Star Wars series two, and lo and behold, THERE IS THE MANTIS HEAD!! It's on the Death Star Droid
    prototype and is clearly not the head they ended up using for that figure.

I now have no doubt that the Kenner Swamp Thing Mutated Insect was originally the cantina Mantis Alien.
    Hasbro would even go on to officially release this character in the 2006 Saga Collection.
    The photo below shows all three figures and a shot from the film. The second photo shows a custom Prototype Death Star Droid figure
    using the Swamp Thing Mantis head.

Last edited by enyawd72; May 31, '20, 3:11 PM.
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Why do I not remember seeing that thing in the cantina scene?

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by hedrap
      Why do I not remember seeing that thing in the cantina scene?
      It's one of those blink and you'll miss it scenes.

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

That's a cool find.

I will say, I would pay money to Hasbro to produce those prototype figures as pictured there.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Isn't it the wrong scale and sculpting style? The cantina assortment was very smooth with not much detail. Almost a retro 50s sci fi look to them. The Swamp thing bug is too large for a 3 3/4 inch Kenner bubble. It's also has a much more detailed sculpt in a modern military style army man outfit with rolled up sleeves and gi joe type of bandoleer with realistic non sci fi looking grenades.

From what I remember the insect head for the Death Star Droid was quickly kitbashed from a model kit for catalog photography and never intended to be used.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
            It's one of those blink and you'll miss it scenes.
            I don't recall this thing either and I have watched the movie probably hundreds of times

Comment

• Mr.Marion
              Permanent Member
              • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by drquest
              That's a cool find.

I will say, I would pay money to Hasbro to produce those prototype figures as pictured there.
              Walrus man looks good. The rest don't do it for me. Hammerhead and blue Snaggletooth look like the finish product.

Comment

• drquest
                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
                Walrus man looks good. The rest don't do it for me. Hammerhead and blue Snaggletooth look like the finish product.
                I agree and that's why they are so cool. Check out that X-Wing pilot, LOL...
                Danny(Drquest)
                Captain Action HQ
                Retro shirts and stuff
                More retro shirts
                Stuff For Sale

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  Isn't it the wrong scale and sculpting style? The cantina assortment was very smooth with not much detail. Almost a retro 50s sci fi look to them. The Swamp thing bug is too large for a 3 3/4 inch Kenner bubble. It's also has a much more detailed sculpt in a modern military style army man outfit with rolled up sleeves and gi joe type of bandoleer with realistic non sci fi looking grenades.

From what I remember the insect head for the Death Star Droid was quickly kitbashed from a model kit for catalog photography and never intended to be used.
                  I'm sure a lot of it was probably retooled for the Swamp Thing line. But Kenner was famous for reusing old discarded sculpts. A series three Swamp Thing Arcane figure ended up retooled into a Robocop villain called Toxic Waster.

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

Andy confirmed the prototype Death Star Droid used an MPC Gigantics Praying Mantis head.

So much for my theory...DEBUNKED! LOL

Comment

• J.B.
                      Guild Navigator
                      • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by drquest
                      Check out that X-Wing pilot, LOL...
                      Looks like one of the Fisher Price Adventure People wanted to fly an X-Wing.
                      You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by enyawd72
                        Andy confirmed the prototype Death Star Droid used an MPC Gigantics Praying Mantis head.

So much for my theory...DEBUNKED! LOL
                        Yeah, I was always under the impression that they quickly kit bashed the figure for catalog photos, using a Threepio body painted silver and black, with a "bug like" head that they grabbed from whatever was available, and the MPC kit had something close that could be used in a pinch.

Comment

• Ninersphan1
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 27, 2009

Originally posted by J.B.
                          Looks like one of the Fisher Price Adventure People wanted to fly an X-Wing.
                          BNothing new for Star Wars prototypes. the initial presentation Kenner made to Lucas, used Adventure People to show the concept before they won the contract.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎