X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

5 Awesome Things on Ebay this week

Mr Spock Model Kit in the Aurora Box- I have a huge fascination with this model, which was actually created by Aurora but sold by AMT in the US. This funky 70s British box is soooooo intoxicating to me...

Star Princess and Pluta coloring book- I've never heard of this before, it's obviously Star Wars influenced but with female protaganists. The seller wants more than I care to pay but someday with will be the subject of PlaidStallions Coloring Book Theater.

DC Comic Superheroes Summer stuff- I am in total awe of this set, first off the bag is using the Superheroes at Seaworld graphics, and secondly the visor is glorious and would propel me to my life long dream of being "Hunter S Thompson" but for nerds.

Ben Cooper Island of Doctor Moreau Halloween Costume- Remember the 70s take on "Island of Doctor Moreau" it was by AIP and starred Michael York and Richard Baseheart. This costume is one of the few pieces of merchandise (it also got a Marvel comic) that the film saw and it really doesn't try to tie into the film at all save for the copyright. This is a higher-priced "Chattermouth" set where kids could simulate talking.

Custom AHI Aquaman Parachutist- I've been known to make custom AHI parachute figures and thought I was only one but I'm happy to see there are like-minded others. The seller has also made a Shazam one which AHI actually did plan on making. My only quibble with this is that it's far too nicely painted and detailed to be real, I'm seriously tempted...

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

How did I miss that Moreau?

Must be due to the generic box

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

I would buy all five of these in a heartbeat
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by hedrap
        How did I miss that Moreau?

Must be due to the generic box
        It's really strange, they never connect it to the film, even in print ads, it's just "Baboon Man". The only tell is the AIP copyright.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

Holy wild, Chattermouth! My friends and I loved playing (and constantly referencing the comic) Moreau back in the day… always wanted beastie toys from that movie!

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Confessional
            Holy wild, Chattermouth! My friends and I loved playing (and constantly referencing the comic) Moreau back in the day… always wanted beastie toys from that movie!
            That movie had to have been influenced by the success of the Apes franchise.

Comment

• Confessional
              Maker & Whatnot
              • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Yeah, timing! There's also thematic crossover, notably the ethics of vivisection.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, some great stuff as always. Star Princess looks to be predicting Dot Matrix from Spaceballs!

That Aquaman Parachutist is beautiful. Yeah, AHI would never paint it that nicely, but man, I love seeing those colors in that format! Gorgeous!

Nice to see you gave Aquaman some love, because I know his absence from that beach bag and kit would make my pal Rob Kelly cry.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Confessional
                  ^^ Yeah, timing! There's also thematic crossover, notably the ethics of vivisection.
                  One of the things I noticed about the comic when I was a kid (found a used copy on Queen Street when I was ten) was that they had trademarked the word "Humanimals". Also, ads were put in the toy trade mags around that time to generate interest. There definitely was some sort of premeditated thought on merchandising this movie.

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    W

Nice to see you gave Aquaman some love, because I know his absence from that beach bag and kit would make my pal Rob Kelly cry.

Chris
                    I always think of Rob's "Shazam Rant" when I post stuff like this...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^Ha, yes! We cover a piece of Super Friends merch on an upcoming episode of his "For All Mankind" Super Friends comic podcast, and he really blows a gasket over the lack of Aquaman. In a fun and endearing way, of course!

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

Not to go on all fours, that is the Law.
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Z-man 307
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Mar 15, 2010

I can't seem to get the link work for the beach bag & visor. I'm just getting a larger picture. I have the same bag in navy blue!

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

The superheroes beach wear set is great. And I had no idea that Ben Cooper made masks that simulated talking, wow.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

That Star Princess coloring book looks really familiar. I think I had one of those. BTW: Am I the only one that thinks Star Princess looks a lot like Mattel's Guardian Goddesses Sun Spell?
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎