Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Throwback Thursday: 1988 CBS Superman 50th Anniversary TV Special

One wonders how DC ever signed off on this.

"Hey Superman is turning 50! What should we do?"

"How about a primetime TV special!"

"Excellent, should we highlight his history, relevance on pop culture, entertainment and morals for society?"

"No way, let's yuck it up. Remember those funny SNL skits with all the superheroes having a party? Let's do that, but for an HOUR... And present it straight so no one knows what to think!"

"Perfect! This will undoubtedly increase profits for future Superman comics, movies, TV shows and merchandise because we'll point out how silly it all is!"

Images
    ^Well said.

I would guess CBS got this over NBC, because CBS was soon to start airing the Ruby-Spears Superman animated series, and that was their anchor for their Saturday morning block.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

This was also around the time Superman (as drawn by John Byrne) was on the cover of Time to celebrate the 50th anniversary...

-M

Images
    ^Byrne reportedly HATED their use of "supernatural" to describe his powers (which was indeed erroneous) and that was another thing that pushed him to leaving the books when he did, shortly thereafter.

I still have this issue somewhere...

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I remember that Time article being the final straw somehow. Byrne is a complicated dude but I do truly love his take on Superman, it was very well done.

Images
    I remember loving this issue at the time.
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Images
    Blog Entries
    I recall being disappointed at not seeing Aquaman from the limo.

I might still have this on VHS somewhere...
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.