X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

70s Toy Packaging Art love Fest

Toy packaging art has always fascinated me and it actually inspired me to pick up some paintbrushes, so it's actually made my life better, here are five random personal favourites but I'd love to see yours be it at the MegoMuseum Forums, our facebook page or on Twitter. Show me your favourites, please!

The Mego Mad Monsters series by legend Gray Morrow.

I can't tell you how much i love the Big Jim Gold Commander Artwork.

I could go on for days about Mego's fantastic packaging (and have) but for this exercise I'll just point out this epic Ross Andru Spider-Man box.

Even when the artwork is a bit simple, there is a tremendous joy in it. The Lincoln International Monsters have a cartoonish look but they are amongst my favourites of all time.

Show me your favourite 70s toy packaging, let's flood the internet with this joyous art.

Toy-Ventures the Magazine is coming this Summer from PlaidStallions Press.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Definitely lots of great action figure art. Almost too much goodness to narrow down. Like the hand painted GI JOE Adventure Team stuff is fantastic. The bright colors of the Super Joes really pop and Kenner SW cards are super iconic.

But I do think we often over look board game art.

Some of my favorites.

TSR Dungeons and Dragons 77 Basic set and 1975 Dungeon board game
    Milton Bradley Superstition and Bermuda Triangle
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

If I had to pick an all time favourite for package art it would hands down be the GI Joe A Team HQ box. It’s just amazing!
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Wonderful selection! Toy packaging definitely influenced my career choice in art once I realized I could starve to death as a comic artist. So graphic design it was, and as a kid, I paid way more attention to packaging than most of my friends.

My favorite Mego packaging is an amalgamation of several great Superman artists: Swan, Andru, and Adams, filtered through a Peter Maxx like lens, but it all works!

I'm pretty sure this is Dick Giordano, although when I asked Dick, he didn't recall it, but he it wasn't long before his passing. It's at least a Continuity Studios job. One I don't own, but would love too, from the Pocket Super Heroes gift-set box.

A lot has been said about the G.I. Joe: RAH packaging recently, since it's artist Hector Garrido passed away, but these were the best-looking toys on the pegs during my figure-buying heyday.

Non-Mego, hands-down, this made the biggest impression on me. The painting for Castle Grayskull by Rudy Obrero actually frightened me on Christmas morning of 1982. I wasn't sure if I wanted that thing in my house! It was like opening a door to a more adult kind of storyline than I had really been exposed to before. Of course the Filmation cartoon (which I still love) filed down a lot of the teeth of the early MOTU, but that potential is still there in this image.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          Non-Mego, hands-down, this made the biggest impression on me. The painting for Castle Grayskull by Rudy Obrero actually frightened me on Christmas morning of 1982.
          If we are including the 80s, Castle Grayskull is without a doubt my all time favorite toy art. Followed closely by Battlecat. The MOTU sword and sorcery painted box art is just insane quality. Beautiful, spooky and atmospheric.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

My favorite bar none is the Ken Kelley Micronauts packaging art...

-M
            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Confessional
              Maker & Whatnot
              • Aug 8, 2012

<Rawr!> i already love this thread with so much goodness to enjoy…

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Gray Morrow's Mad Monsters. I love the Lincoln Phantom but have long imagined what a Mad Monsters Morrow Phantom of the Opera might have looked like.
                Last edited by PNGwynne; May 27, '20, 7:12 PM.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• toyhunter1970
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 24, 2020

wow all the art is crazy cool

Comment

• Klosterheim
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 23, 2013

That art is very cool!

Super-cool.

I don't have a single favorite, there were so many excellent toys and fantastic artwork!

I love seeing it!

I did like a lot of Dragonlance art above some other things, though.

And the bi-planes on the Blue Max game were wonderful!

So many cool games and toys.

The Time Tripper box art was fun too.

Star Wars was often movie photographs instead.

Comment

• J.B.
                      Guild Navigator
                      • Jun 23, 2010

The King is..Alive. Long Live the King!
                      You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

If we're keeping it to the 70s, I won't include MOTU or any other 80s lines... so here are a few of my 70s favourites...

Last edited by Bruce Banner; May 27, '20, 5:30 AM.
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

GI Joe AT art was THE BEST !!!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

How could I forget the Gabriel Lone Ranger line? Just gorgeous work that could have been used on any western pulp magazine.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• tay666
                              Career Member
                              • Dec 27, 2008

This is such an amazing thread.
                              Here are some of the most memorable for me.

tumblr_oy0p7kBwZt1t1cmybo1_400.jpg

51YK-WYV-1L._AC_.jpg

rexbox.JPG

potc-allboxes.JPG

Yeah, most of these are model kits. But when I think about it, I'm pretty sure I spent more time building and playing with models, than I did actual toys. At least until Star Wars and Micronauts came along.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎