• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

It's That Time Of Year Again...

No. No it's not.

It's not really the time of year for holiday specials on TV. BUT... I was thinking about when holiday specials were a big deal. When they officially claimed a period as holiday time. You knew it was Christmas when the Grinch or Charlie Brown aired. Specials spread to obvious choices like Halloween and Easter. Then we got specials for (American) Independence Day or even Arbor Day. SO... what was your SINGLE favorite holiday special? Can you pick just one?

So many great ones I loved as a kid, but I have to go back to one of the originals- "Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown!'
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Garfield Halloween.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

It's a Charlies Brown Christmas. The Grinch-original. The Year Without a Santa Clause. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. The Halloween That Amost Wasn't. Here Comes Peter Cottontail (for Irontail).

I"m not sure I can choose between those Christmas specials.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ToyTalk
        Career Member
        • Mar 25, 2020

Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas
        Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I love all of these, but my favorite is "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". That's my whole family's favorite Rankin/Bass special. It doesn't have the unfortunate, mean-spirited moments like Rudolph that are really hard to watch now.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Heat Miser and Snow Miser are hard to beat. Let's not ever discuss the "sequel."
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              I love all of these, but my favorite is "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". That's my whole family's favorite Rankin/Bass special. It doesn't have the unfortunate, mean-spirited moments like Rudolph that are really hard to watch now.

Chris
              There were definitely a few dark moments in those Rankin Bass Specials. Even a few parts were a bit scary. Like everyone back in the day, I loved the Heat Miser/Cold Miser song and characters. If I'm honest, Heat Miser freaked me out a little. He was kinda creepy!

Originally posted by HeartofGlass
              Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas
              I remember seeing that for the single year we had HBO. I loved it! The jug band version of Barbecue stuck with me for years, but the special itself fuzzed out over the years. I loved re-discovering it in the 2000's.
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Confessional
                Maker & Whatnot
                • Aug 8, 2012

Stop motion morality baby!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡