Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do You Remember the Shorts HBO Ran to Fill Time?

Images
    I think a lot of these came from the Canadian Film Board, who must've still supplied grant money for short film.

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wee67 View Post
    It was called Le Chandail (The Sweater), based on a popular children's story written in '79. Thanks for bringing this one up. The artwork was exactly in the style I remember from that period. Something about it is so appealing to me. And, although not Canadian, I can absolutely relate to getting the wrong sweater. I was a Dallas Cowboys fan growing up in rough Philadelphia Eagles country. The infamous Philly fans gave me more than a razzing on several occasions. Someone actually remade this short, but this time the idolized hero is Sydney Crosby of the Penguins.
    Dude, that's it! Thank you! Yes, although neither Canadian or a big hockey fan (I mean, I'm in St. Louis so it's part of the fabric here), I agree, I could completely relate to getting the wrong thing and befuddled parent not getting what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wee67 View Post
    I think a lot of these came from the Canadian Film Board, who must've still supplied grant money for short film.
    I'm pretty sure they still do, the Canadian government still actively supports the arts.

Images
    Another Canadian one I remember.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    Didn't some of these wind up on Cartoon Network? I think they were the one that had that segment called "Oh. Canada." Or was it Nick?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jwyblejr View Post
    Didn't some of these wind up on Cartoon Network? I think they were the one that had that segment called "Oh. Canada." Or was it Nick?
    It was Cartoon Network.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_Canada_(TV_series)

I definitely remember the style of Richard Condie. I think it was because I would continue to see his work in the Spike & Mike Animation festival that used to tour around the country. I'd always go when it came to a Philly theater.

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Short film is such a powerful and important medium, unfortunately it doesn't have a lot of avenues to exposure. HBO should bring it back. Maybe as a feature on their Max service.

Images
    Remember that little schedule booklet that you would receive at the beginning of each month when you prescribed to HBO, Cinemax and/or Showtime. Come to think of it, I believe you received one for HBO/Cinemax and one for Showtime.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?