Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Remember the Shorts HBO Ran to Fill Time?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Do You Remember the Shorts HBO Ran to Fill Time?

Back in the late '70s and early '80s, HBO used to only start movies at the top and bottom of the hour. That meant when a movie ran short, which it almost always did, HBO would run promos and short films to fill until the half hour, usually animated shorts. We somehow had HBO for one year in 1979. I'm not sure how as we really couldn't afford cable back then. Anyway, I used to look in the HBO guide for movie run times. When I saw there'd be 10 or 15 minutes to fill, I'd tune in at movie's end to watch the shorts.

Does anyone know if there is somewhere a list of those shorts? I've tried googling it to no avail. I know they ran 'Hardware Wars', but I'd like to try and track down those shorts.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

Oh yeah, I remember those. Now on the rare occasion that I watch HBO live instead of on demand, they seem to just show a crapload of promos between shows and movies. Sorry, I don't know if there's a list of them somewhere, but wouldn't be surprised if they aren't listed somewhere.

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

Now that HBO will start movies at any time, they don't need to fill for so long. I remember being sometimes rather dark or even adult.

I have been able to track a few down, if I can find out their specific names, like 'Arcade Attack' -

Comment

• mike69
        Museum Super Collector
        • May 4, 2011

I remember those!!!

Comment

• toyhunter1970
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 24, 2020

oh yeah this one one still sticks with me to this day

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

A Sunday Dinner
          Last edited by toyhunter1970; May 25, '20, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Hardware Wars?
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Werewolf
              Hardware Wars?

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

I've been able to find several by searching for HBO Short Takes, but I know there are tons out there that I don't remember the title of. I wish there was a list somewhere.

I had a soft spot for the animated ones-

Comment

• knight errant00
                  8 Inch Action Figure
                  • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Wee67
                  Back in the late '70s and early '80s, HBO used to only start movies at the top and bottom of the hour. That meant when a movie ran short, which it almost always did, HBO would run promos and short films to fill until the half hour, usually animated shorts. We somehow had HBO for one year in 1979. I'm not sure how as we really couldn't afford cable back then. Anyway, I used to look in the HBO guide for movie run times. When I saw there'd be 10 or 15 minutes to fill, I'd tune in at movie's end to watch the shorts.

Does anyone know if there is somewhere a list of those shorts? I've tried googling it to no avail. I know they ran 'Hardware Wars', but I'd like to try and track down those shorts.
                  Now that HBO will start movies at any time, they don't need to fill for so long. I remember being sometimes rather dark or even adult.

I have been able to track a few down, if I can find out their specific names, like 'Arcade Attack'
                  Arcade Attack was the best! I remember it had a documentary doppelganger, with a title something like Silverball Heroes vs. Video Invaders.

I also remember one called Super Sam and Spot, about a superhero and his cat sidekick. As I recall, most of the story revolved around the two of them on stakeout and drinking coffee a lot.

One I remember only a few details of was an animated short about a French-Canadian kid who loved playing hockey and is mortified when his mother orders him his hockey sweater for the winter and they ship the wrong team design, but his mother won't return it and makes him wear it out with his friends. Anyone have any details on that one?

Comment

• Wee67
                    Museum Correspondent
                    • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by knight errant00
                    One I remember only a few details of was an animated short about a French-Canadian kid who loved playing hockey and is mortified when his mother orders him his hockey sweater for the winter and they ship the wrong team design, but his mother won't return it and makes him wear it out with his friends. Anyone have any details on that one?
                    It was called Le Chandail (The Sweater), based on a popular children's story written in '79. Thanks for bringing this one up. The artwork was exactly in the style I remember from that period. Something about it is so appealing to me. And, although not Canadian, I can absolutely relate to getting the wrong sweater. I was a Dallas Cowboys fan growing up in rough Philadelphia Eagles country. The infamous Philly fans gave me more than a razzing on several occasions. Someone actually remade this short, but this time the idolized hero is Sydney Crosby of the Penguins.

Comment

• Wee67
                      Museum Correspondent
                      • Apr 2, 2002

I think a lot of these came from the Canadian Film Board, who must've still supplied grant money for short film.

Comment

• knight errant00
                        8 Inch Action Figure
                        • Nov 15, 2005

It was called Le Chandail (The Sweater), based on a popular children's story written in '79. Thanks for bringing this one up. The artwork was exactly in the style I remember from that period. Something about it is so appealing to me. And, although not Canadian, I can absolutely relate to getting the wrong sweater. I was a Dallas Cowboys fan growing up in rough Philadelphia Eagles country. The infamous Philly fans gave me more than a razzing on several occasions. Someone actually remade this short, but this time the idolized hero is Sydney Crosby of the Penguins.
                        Dude, that's it! Thank you! Yes, although neither Canadian or a big hockey fan (I mean, I'm in St. Louis so it's part of the fabric here), I agree, I could completely relate to getting the wrong thing and befuddled parent not getting what the problem is.

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

I think a lot of these came from the Canadian Film Board, who must've still supplied grant money for short film.
                          I'm pretty sure they still do, the Canadian government still actively supports the arts.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Another Canadian one I remember.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jwyblejr
                              galactic yo-yo
                              • Apr 6, 2006

Didn't some of these wind up on Cartoon Network? I think they were the one that had that segment called "Oh. Canada." Or was it Nick?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎