X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Monster High 10th anniversary.

It's MH 10th anniversary this year and so far not much has come of it. There was the announcement back at Toy Fair of two $70 Skullector dolls which the first is now rumored to be Pennywise from It. Not Draculaura or Frankie? Nope an R rated demonic entity that preys upon children. Umm...okay...yeah, I'll be passing on that. Hopefully there will be a mass market line too with the original MH characters. Bring back Ghoulia dammit!
    Last edited by Werewolf; May 24, '20, 5:24 PM. Reason: typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • ToyTalk
    Career Member
    • Mar 25, 2020

I feel so out of touch because I have only a vague clue of what Monster High is
    Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Monster High was about the daughters and sons of classic movie monsters (Dracula, Mummy, Frankenstein, etc.) going to a secret school for Monsters. At its peak it was outselling Barbie. There were dolls and animated series.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ToyTalk
        Career Member
        • Mar 25, 2020

That would be why I remember a little bit about it. Thanks for helping kick-start my memory.
        Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• Falstaff13
          Persistent Member
          • May 28, 2008

I know they revamped it at one point, with a slightly restyled approach. There's one cartoon (Cyrano deGhoulia) that I have seen on YouTube, and I was going to get it on DVD, and that was when I realized they'd rebooted or restarted the episode numbers or something. At a pop culture conference a couple of years back I saw a presentation on viewing the show through the lens of its female protagonists.
          Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
          Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

They did reboot it at the end. Made it more cutesy and less scary. Blander and also more budgety. The over all quality and articulation went down. My favorite character, Ghoulia, didn't make it to the reboot. Was considered too scary or something. The reboot did not go over well. Before the reboot the line had been mismanaged for several years, in my opinion. I'd speculate maybe even a bit of self sabotage. As some factions in Mattel reportedly didn't like MH selling better than and taking sales from the flagship Barbie brand.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

The later waves before the reboot were strained IMO, too "busy."

At one point, I considered collecting just the male dolls, but it seemed too expensive. Exclusive characters like the minotaur were exhorbitant.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Releasing the nautical themed Shriekwrecked so soon after the very similar and poorly selling aquatic themed Scarrier Reef was NOT a good idea.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

my little girl absolutely loved the MH series. we (I) bought her tons of them. then she outgrew toys, before the reboot, and lost interest in them. she at one point asked about giving them to a friends daughter and I was like, are you out of your mind, do you know how much money I spent on those? I have them all packed in storage tubs. maybe someday she will decide to collect again, or give them to her own children.

more likely at some point I will just sell them on ebay

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                    I have them all packed in storage tubs. maybe someday she will decide to collect again, or give them to her own children.
                    I'd save them for her. If she is anything like us her she will eventually want her favorite childhood toys back. Plus the first several MH series were of phenomenal quality and detail. They just do not put in that kind of money and effort into mass market main line dolls anymore.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Cindy and I were just talking about this today. Cindy was big into it, and had the entire line up to a point, but then they released a new character as an SDCC exclusive, and it really rankled her feathers. She sold off most of her collection at its height of popularity, which was a good thing, because I don't think it's retained much of its monetary value, not that we really care about those things much. She liked Ghoulia best too, and still has the con-exclusive Super Hero version and another, standard release version as well.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

St on point I had a hole display of them, I loved the idea of them. Then I moved and they have stayed packed away.

That reboot was awful, they took there uniqueness away and went more Barbie style. Once they did that it was over, the true collectors bailed on them. Then there was the DC Super Hero Girls dolls that came out and that hurt the budget of collectors.
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• RonnyG
                          Career Member
                          • Apr 23, 2014

I'm extremely late to the party, but I just got into Monster High! I was always aware of them because their merchandise was everywhere at one time, but I never watched their movies or followed them. Then, a few weeks ago, I was at the thrift store, and I saw a few of the dolls still in good condition, and they were only $3 bucks each, so I bought them. I thought they looked oddly pretty and unique (sort of Monster meets Barbie), and I like the articulation and outfits.
                          Now I've been playing catch up. I've watched the first four movies on Tubi, and I now know all the character names, and back stories! LOL
                          I've figured out that Mattel would release a new line of Monster High dolls to coincide with the premiere of a new movie. A new character doll would be introduced from the movie, and the original doll lineup would be reissued wearing new outfits and hairstyles that they wore in the movie.
                          I'm surprised there is not more talk of them here considering how popular monsters are, but maybe they're too close to fashion dolls than action figures.
                          Last edited by RonnyG; Sep 7, '21, 11:23 PM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

there was a lot more talk about the line back when it was still around. Mattel started following the Barbie formula with the movies introducing a new line. seems to me, the market got flooded with product and people lost interest. my daughter absolutely loved and collected the line but she outgrew it

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

I collected them heavily and posted about them quite a bit over the years.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎