• May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: Top 10 Fisher Price Adventure People Sets

[COLOR=rgba(0 , 0 , 0 , 0.87)]
    [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0 , 0 , 0 , 0.87)]The Fisher-Price Adventure people were truly the game changers when it came to action figures in the 1970s. Their infectiously fun combination of vehicle and figure was an instant hit with kids when they hit shelves in 1975. Parents liked their nonviolent play structure and the fact that they appeared to be indestructible.[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]
    What's more important was the Adventure people didn't go unnoticed by other toy manufacturers and by the end of the Polyester decade we were literally awash in 3 3/4" goodness.
    [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    Here are the top ten Fisher Price Adventure People Sets.
    [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    Join our Facebook Group Pod-Stallions:
    [/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0 , 0 , 0 , 0.87)][/COLOR]For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Thanks for the video! Great choices. I was a huge Adventure People kid. Alpha Probe was my Millennium Falcon growing up! Such a good toy...

Some other ones I loved were the Turbo Hawk jet and the Super Speed Racer Race Car... although it did bother me that it had "Speed Racer" in the name but was not actually a Mach 5.

The only one I would disagree about was the Astro Knight hangglider. I *hated* that the figure did not have leg articulation (Sort of the opposite of the motorcycle racer, who I thought was even cooler because of his extra knee articulation). But I do support the inclusion of the Astro Knight, if only to give us the line: "I also want to tell you, I did have friends..." lol

Finally, it is probably worth pointing out that while the Adventure People brand is no longer on the shelves, Imaginext is clearly the spiritual successor and continues to be going strong. I suspect my kids will have the same nostalgia for Imaginext that I have for Adventure People.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I was a little too old for these and distracted by all things Mego. But I do recall the space series and having a few I liked--X-Ray Man, a black robot--Clawtron? .

Now, I think these are wonderful and could easily collect them. I'm a sitting duck fo sea- and safari-themed toys.

Spry, you may be right about Imaginext. It would be interesting to see how FP fared with some Adventure People reissues.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

I don't know how these never entered my world. I remember seeing them around the periphery of play time, but they never made it front and center. I can only assume its because of their less than Mego articulation. The vehicles are super cool, but I think I probably snobbed out over the figures.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

The only one I ever owned was the Aero-Marine Search Team.
          The figures would regularly encounter my collection of rubber sharks.
          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Great video! These look to be fantastic toys, and you really captured the joy and fun you had in owning them.

I still don't understand how I missed out on the existence of this line. I guess I was just too Super Hero crazy. I didn't really know these existed until coming here, although I did find a female figure from the dolphin set, and customized it into a figure of my then-girlfriend, now-wife Cindy and gave it to her when we were dating.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Those are great toys. I always wished they had made a castle set with knights and a dragon. The camping and dirt bike stuff didn't really appeal to me and by the time they had moved to the space toys I was already collecting SW.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Falstaff13
                Persistent Member
                • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
                Those are great toys. I always wished they had made a castle set with knights and a dragon. The camping and dirt bike stuff didn't really appeal to me and by the time they had moved to the space toys I was already collecting SW.
                I agree, although I always liked the Adventure People sets and figures I did have. I wanted western and fantasy sets. When FP first started Imaginext all those years later, I thought they had finally gone myth/fantasy, just a smaller scale line.
                Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• toyhunter1970
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 24, 2020

i likea

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

I never owned a single one of these (but had some friends that did, so I occasionally played with theirs). I appreciate their place in history and playability, but even as a kid I thought they were kind of boring. I wanted superheroes, monsters and aliens. I suppose this is the same reason why I never cared for Action Jackson, or Big Jim until P.A.C.K. came along, I needed more than everyday situations and characters when I played with my figures. Camping? Sporting? Boating? No thanks.

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

I had a bunch of the early runs and crossed them over to nearly anything else I had close in scale for a couple years… big plastic and rubber dinosaurs vs. humanity! Of course all the animals joined in with the beasts.

The TV crew was always there to broadcast the discovery, capture attempt, or battle, and of course they did their job well hanging in there until the last breath.
                      Last edited by Confessional; May 25, '20, 2:05 PM. Reason: …adventure people adventures!

Comment

• Falstaff13
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by cjefferys
                        I never owned a single one of these (but had some friends that did, so I occasionally played with theirs). I appreciate their place in history and playability, but even as a kid I thought they were kind of boring. I wanted superheroes, monsters and aliens. I suppose this is the same reason why I never cared for Action Jackson, or Big Jim until P.A.C.K. came along, I needed more than everyday situations and characters when I played with my figures. Camping? Sporting? Boating? No thanks.
                        While I did like Adventure People, I understand what you are saying. It's actually how I view Captain Action ahead of GI Joe--I've never been a huge fan of army toys, but the idea of Capt. Action embodying those heroes appealed to me.
                        Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                        Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Ninersphan1
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 27, 2009

LOVED LOVED LOVED Adventure People. My favorite set is one you did not mention, Northwoods Trailblazer. Came with a jeep, a canoe with a motor and oars, and a tent that was more than roomy enough for the two adventurers that cam with the set. I'd swap that with the helicopter on your list, it just had more elements. The fire truck was a great set too.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎