Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Abalone, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

Abalone, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways....

I just wish you weren't so hard to find. The first time I had Abalone was back in '94 on a trip we took to Monterey and Carmel-by-the-Sea. It was pounded, breaded, pan fried and served with a crushed walnut sauce. I was hooked. A few years back I found that a local very old school restaurant called the Dal Rae served it; Farm Raised from Morro Bay. Took the shell home, cleaned it up and polished it with Mineral Oil to bring out the Mother of Pearl.

Thursday was our 26 year Anniversary, so I took the day off and we drove up the coast to Santa Barbara. Found a place to eat that had take out. It was a little shack at the very end of the Wharf, called The Santa Barbara Shellfish Company. For such a small place they had a huge menu of every seafood item you could imagine...including Fresh local Red Abalone pan seared, served over sautéed tomato basil rice, with a garlic and sherry reduction sauce. Ordered it, along with other goodies.

Nautical Social Distancing.

Last edited by J.B.; May 23, '20, 6:41 PM.
    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Mr. Krabs: "Mother of Pearl!"

I'm sure I would love it, I like escargot. Looks delicious.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; May 23, '20, 8:11 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Yup, love that stuff too. Love Monterey, Carmel, Santa Cruz too (only a couple of hours drive from me)...one of the most beautiful places anywhere. I was just there before the pandemic started. Went there to pick up a leather couch out of all things...

sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Instead of abalone round these parts we have to settle for lebanon baloney

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

Congrats on 26! Sea life, just awesome, and clearly travelogues are better with toys!

Comment

• steelcouch
            Career Member
            • Feb 11, 2006

Congrats. Where is that juggler from? I know I’ve seen it before but doesn’t look like ahi.

Comment

• SeattleEd
              SynthoRes Transmigrator
              • Oct 24, 2007

Congrats on the Anniversay.
              This is what I miss about Cali. We were planning on going down there this summer to visit family but cancelled the trip. Hoping to go next year.
              Miss the scenery, drives, and food.
              Glad you had a great time!

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

Man, that food and scenery looks great!

Comment

• J.B.
                  Guild Navigator
                  • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by steelcouch
                  Congrats. Where is that juggler from? I know I’ve seen it before but doesn’t look like ahi.
                  Thanks everyone. AHI Bendy.
                  You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎