X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ToyTalk
    Career Member
    • Mar 25, 2020

Removable Cowl Batman Parts

I bought a RC Batman from ebay and just got it today. Great looking figure. Everything appears to be original but I wanted to do a few fact checks if anyone has the time.

How do we tell a repo batman cape from the retro? I know that Dr. Mego's parts are always tagged or imprinted.

The RC itself. I always thought it was a hard plastic. Is the original RC made kind of soft?

Were there Type1 and Type 2 bodies for that run? Is the back marked with a Year?
    Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

Here is a handy quick-start guide for you that will help ID parts specific to the RC Batman.

http://www.megomuseum.com/galleries/...e-cowl-batman/

Repro cape compared to original.....
    .....the color is a deeper than the average loose Batman cape
    (that passage is about reproduction capes and
    from this page)
    http://www.megomuseum.com/galleries/batman/#accessory

The removable cowl isn't a hard plastic, but it's also not as soft as a Doc Mego repro. Not sure how it compares to anything FTC made.

T1 body only for an RC Batman.
    Last edited by Makernaut; May 22, '20, 3:06 PM.

Comment

• ToyTalk
      Career Member
      • Mar 25, 2020

Thank you very much Makernaut. The cape is so tough to judge on. The cowl I feel better about because I'm near positive Dr. Mego marks his with the initials DM inside it somewhere and this one does not have that. Everything else checks out as 100% positive.

Another question. did Type 1 bodies come with Metal and Plastic joints or just Metal?

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

A vintage cowl is somewhat flexible, vinyl.

A DM cowl is softer, rubbery. I don't recall about the indicia.

A FTC cowl is firm, plastic.

A vintage cape will usually have a litle pleat at the front neck to help it fit better. FTC capes never have this.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ToyTalk
          Career Member
          • Mar 25, 2020

^ That nails the cape down for me. Definitely a pleat at the front so now I know that is vintage. The better descriptions of the cowl has me questioning that. It is not firm plastic so it is not FTC. This cowl is pretty rubbery. I may have to buy another cowl just to compare. Not a bad price to pay for an all original RC Batman. Better safe than sorry later. Any which way though, I do dearly love this mego and that is all that counts.

Comment

• shaunaconda
            Museum Super Collector
            • Mar 29, 2020

Originally posted by HeartofGlass

Another question. did Type 1 bodies come with Metal and Plastic joints or just Metal?
            From the research I’ve been doing, type 1 bodies only came with metal joints.

Comment

• glimpy
              Loco Chango
              • Feb 5, 2012

Type 1 used only metal
              sigpic

Comment

• SeattleEd
                SynthoRes Transmigrator
                • Oct 24, 2007

Actually there are samples of the first 4 WGSH in solid box as being on Type 0 bodies.

Here are a couple of links of the discussion. Worth the read:

Were ANY of the WGSH figures released with a Type 0 body....or was that body only used for Action Jackson ?

So what is the actual deal on this. I know there have been cases of the first 4 WGSH found on Type 0 (AJ) bodies. So what is the exact deal on this. Would the Batman and Robin figures only be the RC/RM versions with skinny boots and stirrups on Bats? Would the Superman only be a silk pattern Superman with stirrups and skinny

And if you aren't aware what Type 0 bodies are, they are the Action Jackson bodies with soft pelvis and not metal rivet joints.

Comment

• ToyTalk
                  Career Member
                  • Mar 25, 2020

I was not aware. I've not heard of Type 0 bodies before. Thank you

Comment

• MegoCapnMike
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 22, 2012

DM almost always has his stuff marked. As I recall, the Batman RC capes are about the hardest accessory to determine if they are authentic or not. Most other retros are easy to tell once examined. I did once order a red RC from DM and it came as a harder more brittle plastic. However, it should be noted that was a special circumstance and he may have cast it in a different plastic than usual. In any case, the originals are flexible but not exactly rubbery either.
                    Looking for:

--Lion Rock "Mr Rock's" shoes/ boots (these may also be the same as the lion rock monster line boots)

--Mystery Astronaught

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

I think first release mego Tarzan would have benefited being on the Type 0 bodies instead of the metal jointed bodies, if that had been the case, they might have gone a different route on the outfit? they may have skipped the flesh color bodysuit and just gave him the leopard cloth shoulder outfit. JMO.

Comment

• actjac01
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 17, 2009

Originally posted by TrekStar
                        I think first release mego Tarzan would have benefited being on the Type 0 bodies instead of the metal jointed bodies, if that had been the case, they might have gone a different route on the outfit? they may have skipped the flesh color bodysuit and just gave him the leopard cloth shoulder outfit. JMO.
                        Totally agree on the bodysuit. That was what steered me away from wanting one as a kid. Too silly I thought.
                        "...You can capture the Klingon & bring him back to the Enterprise!"

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

Post some pics of your purchase and we'll be able to determine the authenticity of your cowl. I have many original RC Batmans so I know that cowl inside and out from reproductions.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎