X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

The Snyder Cut is happening.

A mythical, unreleased version of the 2017 DC superhero film "Justice League" will finally see the light of day on Warner Media's HBO Max.

The mythical, unreleased version of the 2017 superhero film “Justice League” will finally see the light of day on Warner Media’s HBO Max in 2021.

After years of campaigning from talent and comic book fans, the studio behind the DC Films ensemble “Justice League” will offer original director Zach Snyder’s cut of the film, which saw heroes Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash, Cyborg and Superman share the same screen.

Director Zack Snyder announced the news on a live Q&A Wednesday, following a virtual screening of his Henry Cavill-led Superman film “Man of Steel.”

Snyder completed the majority of work on “Justice League” in 2016, but stepped away from post-production and editing in light of a family tragedy. Warner Bros. brought in “The Avengers” helmer Joss Whedon to finish the job, and the varying styles of both men led many fans to believe Snyder had envisioned a much darker take on the project.

Budgeted at a reported $300 million, the film grossed over $650 million worldwide and did not resonate with critics, sitting at 40% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. The DC assemblage was largely perceived as a miss in comparison to the juggernaut of Marvel Studios, and led to a creative pivot away from a tightly connected cinematic universe in favor of a far more loosely assembled collection of comic book adaptations.

This includes Todd Phillips’ global smash “Joker,” which won Joaquin Phoenix the best actor Oscar and grossed over $1 billion at the global box office. Ben Affleck has subsequently vacated the batsuit, in favor of Robert Pattinson in an upcoming reboot from director Matt Reeves.

#ReleaseTheSnyderCut became a massive grassroots rallying cry — an example of how fandom can seize hold of a franchise despite all efforts by the studio to control it, especially online. Then in November 2019, “Wonder Woman” star Gal Gadot kicked the campaign into overdrive by tweeting the hashtag with a grayscale still from “Justice League,” with Affleck and Snyder himself following suit — sending fans into a twitter-fed frenzy. Even Aquaman, Jason Momoa, called for the darker film to drop as recently as May 19, 2020.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

I have almost no interest in this. Some of the lighthearted moments were the best in what was released. I thought overall is was an abysmal film. If you go in and remove the camaraderie, the human elements and what little humor Joss injected and you'll have a dystopian, unwatchable pile of crap.

The only directors cut I think I've liked better than the original was Daredevil. The theatrical release was average at best. When they re-ordered some of the scenes and added a few it really flowed so much better and made sense. The final battle with Kingpin has more weight.
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Random Axe
      I have almost no interest in this. Some of the lighthearted moments were the best in what was released. I thought overall is was an abysmal film. If you go in and remove the camaraderie, the human elements and what little humor Joss injected and you'll have a dystopian, unwatchable pile of crap.

The only directors cut I think I've liked better than the original was Daredevil. The theatrical release was average at best. When they re-ordered some of the scenes and added a few it really flowed so much better and made sense. The final battle with Kingpin has more weight.
      Other than actually liking the finished film, I agree with you. I didn't leave thinking "I wish there was more of Zach Snyder's input in this".

Yeah, Daredevil's extended cut was also superior IMO.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ToyTalk
        Career Member
        • Mar 25, 2020

I've never seen the director's cut of Daredevil. Likely won't see this cut of Justice League. Not because I refuse. More like I simply don't have a lot of time. Maybe I will get sick again and have some movie watching time. Honestly, I wish I had more time to watch more movies. They are my #1 source of entertainment.
        Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Justice League is like a half-baked cake. It was pulled out of the oven too early, and the chefs changed mid-shift, but parts of it tasted pretty good. Others didn't, and most of it looked horrible. But the original chef's intention was probably very bitter. I'm not going to go out of my way to watch it. I own, but have never watched the "Ultimate" cut of BvS, just because I really don't care for Snyder's off-putting vision of my two favorite fictional characters.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

"Remember that thing we put out and nobody liked? Let's find a way to keep people talking about that!" -DC's Brilliant VP of Marketing

Comment

• powersthatbe
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 27, 2010

I gave it a chance the first time.it was ok and I didn't loathe it, and there are certainly marvel movies I feel the same way about, so not interested in spending more time on it. And if you advertise Superman standing in the rain on a movie poster you don't get Superman. I am also tired of constantly seeing "the Snyder cut" on my newsfeed. I did like Watchmen but that's a dystopian story anyway more up his alley.

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

It doesn't exist yet. They're giving Snyder $20-30 million to finish making the Snyder cut. I think it's just a way to capitalize on all the buzz about the "Snyder cut" as a way to drive subscriptions to HBO Max for those inclined to be interested in DC Material with the hopes it brings audience to the mew DC material they are including. It's just another marketing push in the age of streaming wars capitalizing on a hyped up movement for something that didn't actually exist, so they are throwing marketing money at it to make it exist hoping it brings back more return.

Even Snyder himself said in an interview with the Hollywood Reporter about this project that it will be an entirely new thing-so I wonder if will satisfy those looking for the pre-Whedon take since it's not that, and if we will get a new we want the real Snyder cut movement will emerge form those dissatisfied with the post-Whedon Snyder do-over take.

-M
                Last edited by MRP; May 20, '20, 4:27 PM.
                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

I did not like Snyder first two DC Movies (or2.5 considering they rereleased BVS) and could care less about this one. Will I see it, yes (duh) went HBO Max releases more original DC Comics material, there first offerings do not make me want to go out and subscribe yet.
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

I am curious to see it. the theatrical release was entertaining but not great. but I agree Snyder was the wrong man to helm the DC universe. his movies are too dark

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Justice League: The Snyder Cut

Now with 50% more depression!

Comment

• rykerw1701
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 27, 2007

I've seen Justice League once, at the theater. I was disappointed, but not so much it ruined my life. I walked away and mostly forgot the entire thing. But I am looking forward to seeing this, if not because it'll be such a great movie but to see the different way the subject matter is interpreted, more of a study than pure move going experience.

This whole thing reminds me of the Donner version of Superman II we all wanted for years. I prefer Donner's original take, but it's really more of an unfinished draft of his film than what he actually would have completed in 1980. I hope the $20 million+ I've read that is associated with the Snyder Cut and the fact it's not being done 30 years after the fact will give us a fully realized film. Even if it sucks.

Comment

• drquest
                          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                          • Apr 17, 2012

Oh I'll watch it, and yes we all need more darker and more depressing DC characters.
                          Danny(Drquest)
                          Captain Action HQ
                          Retro shirts and stuff
                          More retro shirts
                          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                            Often invisible
                            • Jul 18, 2002

I was at the deli buying some baloney and the deli guy asked me how I would like it cut. I told him to go with the Snyder cut.

Turned out, while the cut was different, it was still just the same baloney.
                            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎