• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

2020 coronavirus in the future

Every one of us on the Museum has at least a tad of nostalgic geekdom

Anybody else old enough to remember seeing President Nixon resign ?

How about the gas shortage ? …. odd and evens anyone ? ---- don't forget red and green pump flags

How about gag hardhats being sold when Skylab came down ?

Was just thinking, how will people remember the 2020 coronavirus in the future ?

Will people display masks in their nostalgia collection ?

Wonder if anyone thought of making marked souvenir masks for people to collect ? …
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

interesting question. the other events you mentioned are not quite like what we have now. we are on the midst of a societal reset. nothing prior to Feb 1 will ever return. this affects all of humanity so the scale is almost incomprehensible. I don't think we'll have Covid museums, but this will always be viewed as a paradigm shift for the entirety of the Earth. Look how much more improved the air and sea quality is now that we cut back usage. This may lead to a new awakening or throw us further into the abyss. we literally have the potential for either...
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

I’d say the sobering death toll numbers in this country will not make a trip down memory lane. This is more a 9/11 Vietnam Peal Harbor Kennedy moment.
      I hope leasons are learned for the environment and politics but I doubt it.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah, I think this event will be far more reaching and have far more impact on the future of our society than any of the events above. Right now we are still in the thick of things, and won't know the full impact until we are on the other side (if we ever even get there). I tell my kids to remember as much of what is happening as they can, this is a game changing event, and they'll be telling their kids stories of the "2020 virus" years from now.

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Random Axe
          interesting question. the other events you mentioned are not quite like what we have now. we are on the midst of a societal reset. nothing prior to Feb 1 will ever return. this affects all of humanity so the scale is almost incomprehensible. I don't think we'll have Covid museums, but this will always be viewed as a paradigm shift for the entirety of the Earth. Look how much more improved the air and sea quality is now that we cut back usage. This may lead to a new awakening or throw us further into the abyss. we literally have the potential for either...
          You've said this better than I did Scott, completely agree.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
            Permanent Member
            • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by thunderbolt
            I’d say the sobering death toll numbers in this country will not make a trip down memory lane. This is more a 9/11 Vietnam Peal Harbor Kennedy moment.
            I hope leasons are learned for the environment and politics but I doubt it.
            I lost a few friends here over my opinion and observations on this. If I'm riding solo on thinking the reactions worldwide don't justify the actual fatalities. But it is a resetting of the global powers and the outcome rests on how much people accept their rights being taking away. Small businesses having zero business for 2 months will affect alot of people either way.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
              I lost a few friends here over my opinion and observations on this. If I'm riding solo on thinking the reactions worldwide don't justify the actual fatalities. But it is a resetting of the global powers and the outcome rests on how much people accept their rights being taking away. Small businesses having zero business for 2 months will affect alot of people either way.
              We will clear 100K this weekend just in the US. If that is too little to get your attention sorry you have no compassion. The real death toll is likely much higher as a lot of people are dying at home and not getting diagnosed first. What rights were taken away? The right to go out and infect or get infected?
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

There are no rights being taken away. It disheartens and depresses me we as a culture have so little sense of civic duty and care so little for the well being of others. Other generations dealt with world wars, pandemics and the great depression and we are so selfish and self-absorbed people can't even be bothered to wear a mask. We are not being oppressed when Costco has a mask policy any more than when stores have a no shirt, no shoes, no service requirement. We are a cruel, lazy, self absorbed reality TV culture.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  There are no rights being taken away. It disheartens and depresses me we as a culture have so little sense of civic duty and care so little for the well being of others. Other generations dealt with world wars, pandemics and the great depression and we are so selfish and self-absorbed people can't even be bothered to wear a mask. We are not being oppressed when Costco has a mask policy any more than when stores have a no shirt, no shoes, no service requirement. We are a cruel, lazy, self absorbed reality TV culture.
                  and there is someone that should be setting an example and not egging on protesters but he's not.

Comment

• Meule
                    Verbose Member
                    • Nov 14, 2004

The minute they find a vaccine life will go back to normal and people will act as if nothing ever happened, sad but true...
                    Oh, and hey Mike
                    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                      Banned
                      • Jun 23, 2001

That is just the most absolutely dumbest thing I think anyone can say. Do you know anyone personally that has had it??!!?? I had it and John Farley (Type 3 Toys) had it. I was quarantined for close to 4 weeks in my own house. I did it so others wouldn't get infected. It's what you do in a pandemic outbreak. None of your rights were taken away...none of your freedoms have been taken away. Do you have any what this disease does to people??!!?? Before you go shooting your mouth off get the facts:

Facts:

This is a contact disease. Basically touching a surface where someone that has had the disease and has touched could put you at high risk of catching the disease. So that means EVERYTHING!!! must be wiped down after people have touched it. Open cut in your hand or you touching the same area that someone else had touched could mean that when you go to touch your face or rub your eyes...you will get the virus

People that have lessened immune systems like people that have had cancer or leukemia or other diseases that require daily treatment can catch it from just being in the 6 ft. distancing from you. You have no clue if that person that is right next to you has had or does have cancer or leukemia or other diseases that require daily treatment. So you are basically screwing other people by wanting your so called "freedom" to move around uninhibited. Other people freedoms be damned, actually staying virus free, as long as YOU have YOUR precious freedom.

What I find most disturbing is the lack of empathy this society has these days for ANYONE but themselves. It is just sickening and is a sign of the times with the POS President we have in office right now. It's only gotten worse.

PLEASE educate yourself on this disease before entering said foot in said mouth. I speak from experience. I know what this disease does to people. I had it and it's NOTHING I would wish on my worst enemy. It literally saps you of all the energy in your body. To the point you can't even stand for more than 5 minutes. At my worst I couldn't walk more than 10 feet to the bathroom in my house with out being completely exhausted. And the coughing that you experience at some point during the 3 - 4 weeks is the worst thing besides death with this disease. When you can't get any air in your lungs because of the coughing...you wish that you would die. THAT is how bad this thing is. To all the people that spouted off and said it wasn't as bad as people were making it out to be...I wish I could have sent them one of my Covid infested lugi's and see what they experience with the disease. Again, NOTHING I would wish on my worst enemy.

It is no wonder how you lost friends here on the forum. Might want to learn a little bit about some empathy towards your fellow HUMAN when we are in a time of crisis like we are now. This disease will KILL over 130,000 people by the time the 2nd wave comes in September and October with the new flu season. No vaccine in sight. No way of treating it besides Tylenol and quarantine. So you are DAMN RIGHT we should tread with caution...and if that means leaving some business still closed, then so be it. Too many people worried about their damn "Freedoms" and not worried about HUMAN BEINGS. Just makes me angry when people have NO CLUE about what they are talking about. Maybe if this happens to you or someone you love you may get a different perspective on WHAT IS HAPPENING right here and right now.
                      Last edited by Blue Meanie; May 21, '20, 5:10 PM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

I have had several friends get it. thankfully they all recovered but this is no joke.

my sister works in a doctors office, dialysis or something like that. some selfish ***** who knew she was positive went in there anyway without telling them and now all of the staff was exposed as well as several other patients. that kind of selfishness is totally unacceptable. we all have to make sacrifices right now. it IS for the greater good. not just our own needs and wants.

glad you are better Roberto

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                          Permanent Member
                          • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                          That is just the most absolutely dumbest thing I think anyone can say. Do you know anyone personally that has had it??!!?? I had it and John Farley (Type 3 Toys) had it. I was quarantined for close to 4 weeks in my own house. I did it so others wouldn't get infected. It's what you do in a pandemic outbreak. None of your rights were taken away...none of your freedoms have been taken away. Do you have any what this disease does to people??!!?? Before you go shooting your mouth off get the facts:

Facts:

This is a contact disease. Basically touching a surface where someone that has had the disease and has touched could put you at high risk of catching the disease. So that means EVERYTHING!!! must be wiped down after people have touched it. Open cut in your hand or you touching the same area that someone else had touched could mean that when you go to touch your face or rub your eyes...you will get the virus

People that have lessened immune systems like people that have had cancer or leukemia or other diseases that require daily treatment can catch it from just being in the 6 ft. distancing from you. You have no clue if that person that is right next to you has had or does have cancer or leukemia or other diseases that require daily treatment. So you are basically screwing other people by wanting your so called "freedom" to move around uninhibited. Other people freedoms be damned, actually staying virus free, as long as YOU have YOUR precious freedom.

What I find most disturbing is the lack of empathy this society has these days for ANYONE but themselves. It is just sickening and is a sign of the times with the POS President we have in office right now. It's only gotten worse.

PLEASE educate yourself on this disease before entering said foot in said mouth. I speak from experience. I know what this disease does to people. I had it and it's NOTHING I would wish on my worst enemy. It literally saps you of all the energy in your body. To the point you can't even stand for more than 5 minutes. At my worst I couldn't walk more than 10 feet to the bathroom in my house with out being completely exhausted. And the coughing that you experience at some point during the 3 - 4 weeks is the worst thing besides death with this disease. When you can't get any air in your lungs because of the coughing...you wish that you would die. THAT is how bad this thing is. To all the people that spouted off and said it wasn't as bad as people were making it out to be...I wish I could have sent them one of my Covid infested lugi's and see what they experience with the disease. Again, NOTHING I would wish on my worst enemy.

It is no wonder how you lost friends here on the forum. Might want to learn a little bit about some empathy towards your fellow HUMAN when we are in a time of crisis like we are now. This disease will KILL over 130,000 people by the time the 2nd wave comes in September and October with the new flu season. No vaccine in sight. No way of treating it besides Tylenol and quarantine. So you are DAMN RIGHT we should tread with caution...and if that means leaving some business still closed, then so be it. Too many people worried about their damn "Freedoms" and not worried about HUMAN BEINGS. Just makes me angry when people have NO CLUE about what they are talking about. Maybe if this happens to you or someone you love you may get a different perspective on WHAT IS HAPPENING right here and right now.
                          There ain't no good guy there ain't no bad guys there's only you and me and we just disagree. 🎶

As an essential worker I wouldn't be working if I was concerned. But still what makes me more special that I couldn't get sick but other people could? People on unemployment are making $900 a week, essential workers are making whatever their wage is, and small businesses are closed. It's madness.

We all love vintage toys and pop culture and I hate poisoning the well with borderline political debate but I also feel the way I do and I'm stubborn and Irish so it is what it is.

Comment

• Type3Toys
                            Home Of The Type3 Body
                            • Jan 18, 2005

There ain't no good guy there ain't no bad guys there's only you and me and we just disagree. ��

As an essential worker I wouldn't be working if I was concerned. But still what makes me more special that I couldn't get sick but other people could? People on unemployment are making $900 a week, essential workers are making whatever their wage is, and small businesses are closed. It's madness.

We all love vintage toys and pop culture and I hate poisoning the well with borderline political debate but I also feel the way I do and I'm stubborn and Irish so it is what it is.
                            My walk down memory lane when it comes to Covid 19 will be having it, losing a month of my life to it and coming out the other side grateful that's all I lost from it.
                            Probably the other thing I will remember is how half of the country pulled together and the other half behaved like selfish untitled children.
                            If this virus has done anything besides kill, it has revealed who we are, just as your post revealed who you are.
                            I won't be needing a mask to remind me of 2020 and Covid 19.
                            LOOK
                            Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                            For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                            To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

There ain't no good guy there ain't no bad guys there's only you and me and we just disagree. ��

As an essential worker I wouldn't be working if I was concerned. But still what makes me more special that I couldn't get sick but other people could?
                              What?!
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎