Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage Mego: The Lost Continent (Action Jackson or Planet of the Apes?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Vintage Mego: The Lost Continent (Action Jackson or Planet of the Apes?)

Vintage Mego takes a look this week at the 1974 Mego Playset “The Lost Continent” which is available in both Action Jackson branded packaging and one that states it’s for the Mego Planet of the Apes figures. Which one is it? We reveal our theory as to why this may have happened. Discuss…

More...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I love the format of this playset and you showcase it well. It's one of my favorites--largely due to the extras--and I bought a MIB one from a kind member here so my OMBC Cro-Magnons would have a play environment.

I'll bet Aurora's articulated dino models would work well in it.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

I'm surprised they didn't re-release that for the One Million BC line.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

No, they should have made that unique OMBC tree-house I now dream of. But mainly because it would look so very cool with my Merry Men.

I have playset "issues."
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Treadwell
          Museum Super Collector
          • Dec 31, 2018

I thought there was a trace of lettering behind "POTA" on the box, so I played with it in Photoshop. Look at what I made black in the second picture. It seems they printed white (I guess) over the existing AJ letters before printing the black POTA letters!

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 12.31.42 AM.jpg
          aj.jpg

Comment

• monitor_ep
            Talkative Member
            • May 11, 2013

Again I do not remember this set. I will keep thinking that if Mego had released this under the Marvel with Kazar it could have sold better. I am surprised I didn't get one, since DC Comics had Dinosaur Island and Marvel had Savage Land this would have been a great playset to include them. Then again back in those days we were strapped for money and did good to get a new action figure once a week.
            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• alex
              Permanent Member
              • Jun 15, 2009

Still my grail aquire after 15 years ;(

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne

I'll bet Aurora's articulated dino models would work well in it.
                When I owned the One Million BC Dinosaurs, I set them up in this for a while, it looked great.

I'm surprised they didn't re-release that for the One Million BC line.
                I'm not, they got three uses out of that pattern and probably felt it wise to retire it.

I thought there was a trace of lettering behind "POTA" on the box, so I played with it in Photoshop. Look at what I made black in the second picture. It seems they printed white (I guess) over the existing AJ letters before printing the black POTA letters!
                That's interesting, I would have largely assumed that they would have just done a plate switch.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Watching this tonight! I was always a bit flummoxed this preceded my beloved Batcave.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                    Permanent Member
                    • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    Watching this tonight! I was always a bit flummoxed this preceded my beloved Batcave.

Chris
                    Yeah the Batcave was the best utilized one. It looks like a real Batcave and the mat is a perfect parking spot for the Batmobile. The Batcomputer is the lame but you could swap it out for the recent 1966 Mattel one .

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

Brilliant toy crossover fun!

I'm also thinking this also appealed to the still-popular dinosaur/cavemen/exploitation/stop motion craze in the pop culture of the era, with a little push on the cross-marketing for good measure.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Confessional
                        Brilliant toy crossover fun!

I'm also thinking this also appealed to the still-popular dinosaur/cavemen/exploitation/stop motion craze in the pop culture of the era, with a little push on the cross-marketing for good measure.
                        I think Action Jackson could have stood to have a little more of this. With his size, giant spiders would have been more menacing, Sharks bigger, etc.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Confessional
                          Maker & Whatnot
                          • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Exactly! Many of AJ's persona were unappealing (to me at the time) outside of the soldier theme, but adding danger, enemies, and monsters?… well that would have entirely reinvented the line and added more play-time mash-ups me thinks.

Comment

• Wee67
                            Museum Correspondent
                            • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
                            I'm not, they got three uses out of that pattern and probably felt it wise to retire it.
                            I think Mego should've taken on the creative challenge to re-purpose this for every one of their 8" lines. I would have loved to see what they came up with for WOZ or S&H or even Dinah.
                            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                              Again I do not remember this set. I will keep thinking that if Mego had released this under the Marvel with Kazar it could have sold better. I am surprised I didn't get one, since DC Comics had Dinosaur Island and Marvel had Savage Land this would have been a great playset to include them. Then again back in those days we were strapped for money and did good to get a new action figure once a week.
                              One a week! My average was quarterly: October birthday, Christmas, Easter basket. Summer allowance. I always did very well at Christmas, though.

Others have echoed your good Savage Land idea. Could be Skartaris, too.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎