X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Mego Leatherface Revealed

A figure that escaped yesterday’s update was Leatherface from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Well, Mego Corp has generously provided that image for us as well, below is an updated look at the Leatherface figure, it features a slightly different look from ToyFair 2020 with a new chainsaw.  Join Mego Ambassadors today! You can pre-order any…

More...
  • lordhumongous
    • May 16, 2020

He looks way to thin. Would benefit from some cotton stuffing or a CTVT fat body.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by lordhumongous
      He looks way to thin. Would benefit from some cotton stuffing or a CTVT fat body.
      Or a Mego fat body...

Comment

• Meule
        Verbose Member
        • Nov 14, 2004

The sculpt is spot on, the bloody apron and the chainsaw are cool too, but why does he have black arms?
        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Palifan
          Museum Patron
          • Jan 18, 2016

I've been looking at this picture since it first appeared and for me the head crosses over into that more realistic area that isn't quite for me. I do like it (although agree that the body maybe a little on the slim side), but I think for my general horror focus I tend to like characters a little more stylised and less gruesome looking if that makes sense. I'll wait to see how Hannibal Lecter comes out but I'm sure there will be a lot of fans out there for this figure and as Brian always says 'Buy what you like'.

Ian

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

This...this is not good.

Comment

• Timothy2251
              Jerks beef with Ten Bears
              • Mar 15, 2008

I'll wait and see what the final figure is going to look like, as this is just the prototype, and looks a bit Photoshopped (the head doesn't quite sync with the figure for some reason). The head sculpt looks great; I like that Mego Corp. is edging into NECA's territory with the more realistic sculpts (i was looking over my NECA retro Leatherfaces and while I can't place the film the Mego Corp. sculpt derives from, it would serve nicely as a "generic" Leatherface for collectors who just want ONE Leatherface for their collections without stressing too much which film/version to choose from. Sort of like "I just want a Dracula - don't care if it's a Lugosi, Lee, etc.").

I would recommend, though, that Mego put Leatherface on a fat body, as Leatherface has a gut (all that red meat - for shame!), maybe lose the shredded sleeves, too. Also, I'd tone down on the blood on the apron - splotches here and there, yes, but with that much blood on the apron as shown, the rest of him should be drenched as well.
              "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                Often invisible
                • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Timothy2251
                The head sculpt looks great; I like that Mego Corp. is edging into NECA's territory with the more realistic sculpts (i was looking over my NECA retro Leatherfaces and while I can't place the film the Mego Corp. sculpt derives from, it would serve nicely as a "generic" Leatherface for collectors who just want ONE Leatherface for their collections without stressing too much which film/version to choose from. Sort of like "I just want a Dracula - don't care if it's a Lugosi, Lee, etc.").
                The figure and sculpt is from the 2003 reboot.
                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                  Permanent Member
                  • May 15, 2009

This is a major swing and a miss. Not sure who this is for? It's not very "Classic Mego" in look or execution. It's closer to NECA in the head sculpt, but if it's appealing to the NECA crowd, NECA has already done this and better? And they did it for the original movie, the one people liked, not the remake. Likewise, outside of the head, everything is awful. So even if you wanted a more "Mego" Leatherface, this isn't it. It's just a really baffling design all around. I'm sure it'll look better when finalized, I'd hope.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                    This is a major swing and a miss. Not sure who this is for? It's not very "Classic Mego" in look or execution. It's closer to NECA in the head sculpt, but if it's appealing to the NECA crowd, NECA has already done this and better? And they did it for the original movie, the one people liked, not the remake. Likewise, outside of the head, everything is awful. So even if you wanted a more "Mego" Leatherface, this isn't it. It's just a really baffling design all around. I'm sure it'll look better when finalized, I'd hope.
                    Maybe the remakes were cheaper to get ahold of than the originals?
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                      Often invisible
                      • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      Someday, maybe after all of this has run it’s course, we’ll all be able to talk about why things happened the way they did.
                      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• sprytel
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                        This is a major swing and a miss. Not sure who this is for? It's not very "Classic Mego" in look or execution.
                        You could say the same about Freddie et al. but I'm assuming they are continuing to make these modern horror figures because the previous ones have been successful.

(We also need to remind ourselves that 2003 was still 17 years ago. Sadly, that would have been like a movie that came out in 1960 for Mego 1.0...)

Comment

• ODBJBG
                          Permanent Member
                          • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                          Oh I'm certain. And with TCM it's a wise move because you could argue that Leatherface is Leatherface, especially in a Mego-esque style, but the very realistic sculpt seems to work against it in this regard.

Originally posted by sprytel
                          You could say the same about Freddie et al. but I'm assuming they are continuing to make these modern horror figures because the previous ones have been successful.

(We also need to remind ourselves that 2003 was still 17 years ago. Sadly, that would have been like a movie that came out in 1960 for Mego 1.0...)
                          Almost certainly the case, but again it just feels like a misstep here. NECA has made 3 or 4 TCM figures at this point, so maybe Mego thinks they can siphon some of those sales but this just doesn't seem to hit either target IMO. Too realistic to be Mego, too Mego to be NECA. I dunno, just my thoughts but of all the new Mego figures this one seems to thread the needle in perfectly missing it's two potential audiences.

Comment

• Confessional
                            Maker & Whatnot
                            • Aug 8, 2012

^^ I think this idea that there's still a strong classic-Mego-style vs. everything is really dead; the format (with new ideas inspired-by, and figures made in homage to) is what persists.

While there still are centric collectors that protect their compelling house of cards, there's clearly a much larger, international generation or two that have driven sales for every company other than, and hopefully now including Mego. The 70s are culturally swirled into every decade since. There's nothing to protect or protest here, just more choices. The cultural repetition and economy of the toy/collectibles market has proven this over and over again. Yes, sometimes in surprising fashion, but undeniably so.

Comment

• Palifan
                              Museum Patron
                              • Jan 18, 2016

Originally posted by Confessional
                              ^^ I think this idea that there's still a strong classic-Mego-style vs. everything is really dead; the format (with new ideas inspired-by, and figures made in homage to) is what persists.

While there still are centric collectors that protect their compelling house of cards, there's clearly a much larger, international generation or two that have driven sales for every company other than, and hopefully now including Mego. The 70s are culturally swirled into every decade since. There's nothing to protect or protest here, just more choices. The cultural repetition and economy of the toy/collectibles market has proven this over and over again. Yes, sometimes in surprising fashion, but undeniably so.

I do agree with you and even though the old Mego fans I'm sure were a big part of bringing this toy line back, they still have to look to the future and try different things in different styles. For me this figure does certainly stray to close to Neca for what I like my Mego's to look like (even though I do have some of the retro cloth type Neca figures that I enjoy), but I'm fine with that as I don't need to own any version of this character but there are probably plenty out there who do. I'm sure some of the people who like this figure are not going to be into The Fly or the Universal Monsters that have already been released and I think it's a good thing to branch out.

As long as the figures sell and Mego can carry on making something for all of us then I'm all happy with that and I'll support the ones that I enjoy.

Ian

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎