X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

"Planet of the Apes" (Boulle's novel) new edition out

I though this may be of interest to some folks here on the forums...

A new illustrated version of Boulle's novel has been released... Kind of costly at nearly $50.00 though...

The sci-fi adventure that launched a global franchise, Planet of the Apes is given a timely Folio release with David de las Heras’s spectacular artwork and a thought-provoking introduction by primatologist Frans de Waal.
  • mego
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 16, 2012

Wow! That’s beautiful.
    I read the novel back in high school and really liked it. There a lot of cool differences but it still has that POTA feeling.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Looks great. The Folio Society certainly publishes some fantastic editions.
      I last read the Boulle novel back in the 80s. Might be time to revisit it.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

Ah excellent!; my ratty old paperback needs replaced.

Also just poured through several detailed chapters about the novel and film script development in The Making/Rinzler book, so great timing!

Comment

• J.B.
          Guild Navigator
          • Jun 23, 2010

Such a well written book. Once you start it, you don't want to put it down.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

i have a paperback copy too. haven't read it since high school or maybe college. I keep meaning to read it again, but you know, life happens

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I've been a Folio member for over 20 years, love their books. I just bought Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Klay. POTA is on my wishlist.

They're worth every penny and I re-collect my favorites.
              Last edited by PNGwynne; May 14, '20, 6:11 PM.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• J.B.
                Guild Navigator
                • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                I've been a Folio member for over 20 years, love their books.
                This Post has served as my introduction to the Folio Society.

I see Dune! I see the tooth! I see Dr. Yueh giving important instructions to the doomed Duke Leto. Oh man, I shouldn't have seen any of this. This is gonna get expen$ive.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Confessional
                  Maker & Whatnot
                  • Aug 8, 2012

My copy (and intro to Folio as well) made a successful voyage across the Atlantic and continent to land here today! It's really quite a lovely (and unique) edition… the paper, typesetting and printing is a pleasure, supercool illustrations, and a nice heavy slipcase. Once read, it will reside in the rare/occult/vintage/wild book collection upon one of our wunderkammer.

Thanks again for turning us on to this!

Comment

• apes3978
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 19, 2005

I am glad to read such a positive review of this edition of Boulle's book.

I have to order this myself. I *think* Barnes and Noble is open around here again (though perhaps with shortened hours of operation): I've been meaning to stop in there, and when I do, I think I'll have them order me a copy.

As far as turning you on to the book: You're welcome

Originally posted by Confessional
                    My copy (and intro to Folio as well) made a successful voyage across the Atlantic and continent to land here today! It's really quite a lovely (and unique) edition… the paper, typesetting and printing is a pleasure, supercool illustrations, and a nice heavy slipcase. Once read, it will reside in the rare/occult/vintage/wild book collection upon one of our wunderkammer.

Thanks again for turning us on to this!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Folio editions are ordered direct from their site, not bookstores (as far I know). But OOP editions are often on ebay.

It used to be that you had to be a subscribing member of the Society to order books, but online orderinh has changed all that and in truth, they've broadened their offerings considerably in recent years.
                      Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 7, '20, 9:16 AM.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• apes3978
                        Permanent Member
                        • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by apes3978
                        I have to order this myself. I *think* Barnes and Noble is open around here again (though perhaps with shortened hours of operation): I've been meaning to stop in there, and when I do, I think I'll have them order me a copy.

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        Folio editions are ordered direct from their site, not bookstores (as far I know). But OOP editions are often on ebay.

It used to be that you had to be a subscribing member of the Society to order books, but online orderinh has changed all that and in truth, they've broadened their offerings considerably in recent years.

PNGwynne,

Thanks for that bit of info. I wasn't aware that their books are available on their website only.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎